US Abortion Laws

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Re: US Abortion Laws

Post by DublinDave »

Shocking decision, what next..? Ban homosexuality & arm schoolkids..?
When a countries fundamental laws are dependent on who is president when someone dies, you know you have a problem...
Ignore the Jan 6th uprising, the most damaging thing Trump did was elect 2 rabid fundamentalists to the Supreme Court...
America will be paying for this travesty for decades...
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2014 likes

Post by Shabu »

DublinDave wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:13 pm Shocking decision, what next..? Ban homosexuality & arm schoolkids..?
When a countries fundamental laws are dependent on who is president when someone dies, you know you have a problem...
Ignore the Jan 6th uprising, the most damaging thing Trump did was elect 2 rabid fundamentalists to the Supreme Court...
Mitch McConnell got what he was planning for decades. He knows the real power lies in the Supreme Court.

And yes, they are going to look at same sex marriage.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »

I don't really know how US government works so I'm sure there are perfectly rational explanations to my queries, but:

What's the point of the liberal judges in the Supreme Court if they're always going to be voted down on everything, forever? If my job consisted of nothing but being comprehensively slapped down every day on every subject in existence by a coven of dingbat flat earth inquisitors, I'd stop going in. f*** off Marlin fishing in Hawai, maybe

Why didn't Biden and the Dems immediately set to re-establishing equilibrium in the SCOTUS by appointing more liberal judges? Like, the very second they regained legislative and executive control?

It seems to me that, thanks to a) the mini-Taliban installed onto the Supreme Court by Trump and b) Biden and the Dems refusal/failure/procrastination/whatever in redressing that shift to medieval zealotry, the US is ****ed whenever Trump and his headbanger disciples are in power, and they're ****ed whenever Trump and his headbangers aren't in power, too.

And if the SCOTUS Jesus freaks - plus senate MINORITY leader Mitch McConnell I guess - still get to obstruct, obfuscate and flat out ignore all attempts at progress whilst simultaneously dragging the US backwatds into some sort of wilfully ignorant dark age crackpot caliphate without question or consequence, in perpetuity, then what's the point of the president? He's out there wringing his hands at the despair of it all but he seems no more able to do anything of positive consequence than a bloody Kardashian.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

The best political idea in American history.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:04 pm Whose eye are we talking about.
Not sure if joking so ........ :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Jonah wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:27 pm Not sure if joking so ........ :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale
Oh, never seen it.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

last.caress wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:23 pm I don't really know how US government works so I'm sure there are perfectly rational explanations to my queries, but:

What's the point of the liberal judges in the Supreme Court if they're always going to be voted down on everything, forever? If my job consisted of nothing but being comprehensively slapped down every day on every subject in existence by a coven of dingbat flat earth inquisitors, I'd stop going in. **** off Marlin fishing in Hawai, maybe

Why didn't Biden and the Dems immediately set to re-establishing equilibrium in the SCOTUS by appointing more liberal judges? Like, the very second they regained legislative and executive control?

It seems to me that, thanks to a) the mini-Taliban installed onto the Supreme Court by Trump and b) Biden and the Dems refusal/failure/procrastination/whatever in redressing that shift to medieval zealotry, the US is ****ed whenever Trump and his headbanger disciples are in power, and they're ****ed whenever Trump and his headbangers aren't in power, too.

And if the SCOTUS Jesus freaks - plus senate MINORITY leader Mitch McConnell I guess - still get to obstruct, obfuscate and flat out ignore all attempts at progress whilst simultaneously dragging the US backwatds into some sort of wilfully ignorant dark age crackpot caliphate without question or consequence, in perpetuity, then what's the point of the president? He's out there wringing his hands at the despair of it all but he seems no more able to do anything of positive consequence than a bloody Kardashian.
I'm no expert but here goes with my answers......

trump got to appoint three judges (the American white christian right won the lottery in regards to that set of timing) each of who was opposed to abortion (& many other things that other 'western' countries take for granted). These are judges for life. That goes back to when they were usually appointed 5-20 years before they died. Now people are being appointed at 45 & will live to 90. There is a movement to try to get an 18 year cap on each judge. That way we'd get a new one every two years regardless of who was in power or how old they were.

There was talk, not by Biden himself, of loading the court with Liberal judges but let's be honest, they have enough on their plate right now without doing something that controversial. PLUS, he has to get each appointment through the House AND the Senate which means every single Democrat would have to be onboard. And they wouldn't be. There's that bloke from West Virginia who is a Democrat but votes with the Republicans 90% of the time. So they would have looked right plonkers by trying something really really controversial then failing spectacularly.

The evangelical christians have been onboard with the republicans since Reagan & they are getting more and more extreme every decade. As a colleague at work said, they click the dial to the right every year so the left are constantly swimming upstream.

As for what power does the president have this is something I've been mulling over for years. China & Russia have been moving under the direction of one leadership power for decades (good or bad) whereas America flip flops between two opposite ideologies so we never move forward, just left and right. I, personally, thought we made amazing strides forward under Obama but half of white America disagrees with me. I've overheard conversations in bars where they thought he did nothing but play basketball for 8 years. Meanwhile all the big decisions are being made by a 9 people who none of us actually voted for. Americans realistically have two choices to vote for and often they'll choose the lesser of two evils. Then the rest of us have to live with the consequences for decades.

Anyway, I am sure Pete or others will have a more informed view of the situation.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Truly horrific. Trumps stain lives on.

The US is spiralling downwards....
DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

In 1973 when Roe V Wade was passed, there was 6 republican nominated justices & only 3 Democrat, yet the original bill passed with a 7-2 majority...
Cross party cooperation was the norm in those days when it came to something important, now it seems amazing that 14 republicans voted in favour of stopping 18 year olds buying assault rifles & taking guns off the mentally unstable, they'll probably lose their seats at the next election if Trump gets his way...!
I spent a couple of years over there in the early 90's & it felt like I was in the most progressive place on earth, shame all it's done since then is go backwards...
StoneHammer
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by StoneHammer »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:54 pm

As for what power does the president have this is something I've been mulling over for years. China & Russia have been moving under the direction of one leadership power for decades (good or bad) whereas America flip flops between two opposite ideologies so we never move forward, just left and right. I, personally, thought we made amazing strides forward under Obama but half of white America disagrees with me. I've overheard conversations in bars where they thought he did nothing but play basketball for 8 years. Meanwhile all the big decisions are being made by a 9 people who none of us actually voted for. Americans realistically have two choices to vote for and often they'll choose the lesser of two evils. Then the rest of us have to live with the consequences for decades.

Anyway, I am sure Pete or others will have a more informed view of the situation.
It's not two ideologies though is it. Democrats are the same as the Lib Dems here. They're neoliberals who believe in capital and the market and will do the upmost to not rock the status quo too much while the neo cons take every advantage they can; this is the reason why Trump had multiple nominees for the SC because McConnell held up Obama from nominating a liberal SC because it was an election year but obviously didn't care when Trump got in.

The main problem is, because of the side the press are on, if anyone of a left persuasion tries to take liberties (literally and figuratively) then there is uproar over it. The right tries and it's swept under the carpet or even applauded. It's pissing in the wind*

*this is all applicable for the UK as much as the US. We're just not as far down the religious rabbithole as they are.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

America going backwards and getting ever closer to tearing itself apart with insanity like this.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

last.caress wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:23 pm

What's the point of the liberal judges in the Supreme Court if they're always going to be voted down on everything, forever? If my job consisted of nothing but being comprehensively slapped down every day on every subject in existence by a coven of dingbat flat earth inquisitors, I'd stop going in. **** off Marlin fishing in Hawai, maybe

Biden can't just appoint a judge basically until one dies or retires, these are appointments for life. Ketanji Brown Jackson will be joining the court when Stephen Breyer retires and the Senate approved her, so that will at least replace a liberal voice with a liberal voice. Its unlikely Biden will get to appoint another person as the next oldest is Clarence Thomas who is a republican and is the one now pushing for the court to review and reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.

Clarence is also refusing to recuse himself from January 6 cases that implicate his wife

The biggest move was Trump getting the power house Ruth Bader Ginsburg replaced by a very right wing conservative in Barrett in just 39 before the election. Which was a huge move of hypocrisy from republicans, who basically refused to consider Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland more than nine months before the end of his term, 6 months before the election.

The founding fathers I believe wanted to limit the powers of any one office, including the office of the President, so it wasn't like a "tyrannical as Great Britain" was seen as at the time. The office itself isn't as powerful as it is made out to be. It has huge influence and prestige. However, the money spent to just get elected in the first place now means they are just in the pocket of what ever interest group gave them the most money. Trump spent close to a $1billion in his election campaign.

But then the founding fathers also wrote a constitution that was to appease slave owners and only counted white men as a whole person

What should worry everyone is we are heading the same way. Boris is much like Trump he is a tool used by others
Last edited by Prob on Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

DublinDave wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:13 pm Shocking decision, what next..? Ban homosexuality & arm schoolkids..?
Tbf, don't give a damn about them, my concern is about what this means to China?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1301 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:38 pm Oh, never seen it.
From this side of the pond it's looking like there's others who want you to live it mate. Y'allqaeda captures it.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

StoneHammer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:33 pm It's not two ideologies though is it. Democrats are the same as the Lib Dems here. They're neoliberals who believe in capital and the market and will do the upmost to not rock the status quo too much while the neo cons take every advantage they can; this is the reason why Trump had multiple nominees for the SC because McConnell held up Obama from nominating a liberal SC because it was an election year but obviously didn't care when Trump got in.

The main problem is, because of the side the press are on, if anyone of a left persuasion tries to take liberties (literally and figuratively) then there is uproar over it. The right tries and it's swept under the carpet or even applauded. It's pissing in the wind*

*this is all applicable for the UK as much as the US. We're just not as far down the religious rabbithole as they are.
I'm not sure what all the phrases you've used mean. Sorry. I generally don't follow politics too much.

But one side wants us to have more guns and a weird Christian society with white men at the top, followed by white women then everyone else.

The other side is more western Europe in outlook. Equality, Healthcare, affordable education etc
blahblahblah
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

I'm not sure why I returned to this ****hole of a country.

Corporations and the mega-rich can spend as much as they want on ads (to influence the public) and direct payments to legislators (to get the laws they want). Big corporations can commit wide-scale fraud and/or cause billions of dollars in damages but the only punishment is a fine (cost of doing business) while us regular folk can lose everything for the smallest infraction. I pay $15,000 a year in insurance premiums with a $6,000 deductible and the insurance company fights having to pay for anything. The previous president planned a coup and committed multiple felonies but will never face any consequences other than maybe not being president again (not legally but just because he's not as popular). Mass murders and children being killed at school is just a part of life so that some limp dick nobody can buy an AR-15. And now fundamentalists have taken away a woman's right to choose. Next it will be illegal to be gay. Then contraception will be illegal. Then interracial marriage.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I told you where this was going some time ago.

If there’s a chink of light it’s to be found in the recent testimony of conservative judge J. Michael Luttig. Look it up.

There will be a push back.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Prob wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:29 pm Biden can't just appoint a judge basically until one dies or retires, these are appointments for life. Ketanji Brown Jackson will be joining the court when Stephen Breyer retires and the Senate approved her, so that will at least replace a liberal voice with a liberal voice. Its unlikely Biden will get to appoint another person as the next oldest is Clarence Thomas who is a republican and is the one now pushing for the court to review and reconsider Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell — the rulings that now protect contraception, same-sex relationships, and same-sex marriage.

Clarence is also refusing to recuse himself from January 6 cases that implicate his wife

The biggest move was Trump getting the power house Ruth Bader Ginsburg replaced by a very right wing conservative in Barrett in just 39 before the election. Which was a huge move of hypocrisy from republicans, who basically refused to consider Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland more than nine months before the end of his term, 6 months before the election.

The founding fathers I believe wanted to limit the powers of any one office, including the office of the President, so it wasn't like a "tyrannical as Great Britain" was seen as at the time. The office itself isn't as powerful as it is made out to be. It has huge influence and prestige. However, the money spent to just get elected in the first place now means they are just in the pocket of what ever interest group gave them the most money. Trump spent close to a $1billion in his election campaign.

But then the founding fathers also wrote a constitution that was to appease slave owners and only counted white men as a whole person

What should worry everyone is we are heading the same way. Boris is much like Trump he is a tool used by others

There isn't a set number for Supreme Court judges so in theory they could appoint more.

I just don't think it's feasible, especially with everything else going on economywise
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:24 pm I told you where this was going some time ago.

If there’s a chink of light it’s to be found in the recent testimony of conservative judge J. Michael Luttig. Look it up.

There will be a push back.
If a civil war does happen I'm straight over that border :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Texas declared today "a holiday in honour of unborn babies"

Doesn't sound as much fun as Guy Fawkes or July 4th.