US Abortion Laws

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: US Abortion Laws

Post by RichieRiv »

I think everyone is broadly aligned on this one, but what is getting on my goat is the anti men rhetoric so abundant on socia media. I get it that a bunch of SC judges have over turned this but it was a group of male SC judges that passed it in the first place.
Shabu
Has liked: 4162 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 pm I think everyone is broadly aligned on this one, but what is getting on my goat is the anti men rhetoric so abundant on socia media. I get it that a bunch of SC judges have over turned this but it was a group of male SC judges that passed it in the first place.
Did you express this sentiment to the anti men people on social media or just to the group of men on this platform?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:06 pm Did you express this sentiment to the anti men people on social media or just to the group of men on this platform?
Its a valid point and probably a reflection of the people I know on Facebook. But this place is a safe space and not everyone here is a bloke.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:25 pm Its a valid point and probably a reflection of the people I know on Facebook. But this place is a safe space and not everyone here is a bloke.
You're right. It's only 99% :grin:

I haven't seen too much bloke bashing. More white christian American bashing. That's probably a reflection of MY Facebook :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

As laudable as this proposal is I can't help but feel we should be sorting out our own health backlog before offering assistance to the worlds largest economy just because of their shitwitted politics:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... roe-v-wade
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

It's only a few days ago the bma were threatening their overworked members would strike.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

A woman in Texas gets a ticket for driving alone in the 2 or more people/carpool lane on the motorway but she claims she shouldn't have got it as Texas law considers unborn babies as people.

So is she right?

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdo ... -a-ticket/
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I reckon she is, but the fetus could have been cited for not wearing a seat belt. Furthermore, look for airlines to charge pregnant women for 2 tickets now.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

WCpete wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:47 pm I reckon she is, but the fetus could have been cited for not wearing a seat belt. Furthermore, look for airlines to charge pregnant women for 2 tickets now.
Pregnant women having to pay double for all you can eat buffets?
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I previously mentioned “bad history” ref. Dobbs v Jackson. More on that here….

Heather Cox Richardson wrote:Both the Organization of American Historians and the American Historical Association, the flagship organizations of professional historians in the U.S., along with eight other U.S. historical associations (so far), yesterday issued a joint statement expressing dismay that the six Supreme Court justices in the majority in the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health decision that overturned Roe v. Wade ignored the actual history those organizations provided the court and instead “adopted a flawed interpretation of abortion criminalization that has been pressed by anti-abortion advocates for more than thirty years.” Although the decision mentioned “history” 67 times, they note, it ignored “the long legal tradition, extending from the common law to the mid-1800s (and far longer in some states, including Mississippi), of tolerating termination of pregnancy before occurrence of ‘quickening,’ the time when a woman first felt fetal movement.”

The statement focuses less on politics than on the perversion of history, noting that “[t]hese misrepresentations are now enshrined in a text that becomes authoritative for legal reference and citation in the future,” an undermining of the “imperative that historical evidence and argument be presented according to high standards of historical scholarship. The Court’s majority opinion…does not meet those standards.”
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Here comes Ted Cruz pandering to the Evangelicals

Gay marriage next?

https://www.vanityfair.com/favicon.ico
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Classy.

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

All is not lost:

Yesterday Kansas overwhelmingly rejected an amendment to their state constitution that would have stripped it of protections for abortion rights. With 86% of the vote in, 62% of voters supported abortion protections; only 37% wanted them gone. That spread is hugely significant and unexpected as Kansas voters had backed Trump in 2020; Republicans had arranged for the referendum to fall on the day of a primary, which traditionally attracts higher percentages of hard-line Republicans; and they had written the question so that a “yes” vote would remove abortion protections and a “no” would leave them in place. A political action committee even sent out texts that lied about which vote was which.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

:evil:

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^^ f''ing hell. America really has lost the plot.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

WCpete wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:29 pm :evil:
It really shouldn't be possible to play Top Trumps with awful abortion stories. But I think this has yours beat.

Shabu

Post by Shabu »

It's like a f*cking horror movie.

Imagine having to carry that around inside of you :shocker:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Jesus wept.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:53 am Jesus wept.
Indeed, and all in his name :shock:

The radicalisation of the U.S. is cracking along quite nicely.