Brentford 2-0 West Ham Utd (10/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ Brentford V West Ham United: match thread

Post by S-H »

NWhammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 am That excuse can only go so far. David Moyes is responsible for this club having Zero strikers.

Two strikers should be bought in the summer and Antonio moved back to where he belongs, RW.
Cool, and Bowen to the bench then, yeah?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

NWhammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 am That excuse can only go so far. David Moyes is responsible for this club having Zero strikers.

Two strikers should be bought in the summer and Antonio moved back to where he belongs, RW.
The best form of Antonio's career has been as a striker.

He is a striker now, and a bloody good one.

We need another for sure.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Al Fisti wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:31 am It´s very disappointing that we destroy everything, that we have build up in 2021 this season, but this is our own fault! We get the receipt for being inactive in the transfer period, for planning a season just with one forward and as well for the obstinacy of our manager who doesn´t trust other squad players like Yarmolenko or Vlasic, even if Antonio obviously needs an urgent rest......and as long we play with the worst and slowest left defender of the league, we will be just average.
I find it a shame people think this season has been “average” - not in my lifetime as a WHU supporter it hasn’t. It’s been on the side of great
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

e17 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:35 am I find it a shame people think this season has been “average” - not in my lifetime as a WHU supporter it hasn’t. It’s been on the side of great
Of course it has, it's been brilliant for the most part. But would you not feel a bit gutted if we end up with no European qualification at all after the great start?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

e17 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:35 am I find it a shame people think this season has been “average” - not in my lifetime as a WHU supporter it hasn’t. It’s been on the side of great
:newthumb:

Imagine if this season was average.

I'd definitely have more hair, and drink less, if it was.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:02 am As much as i agree, there is also a problem that moyes could have picked or brought on several other players yesterday but didn't, bar vlasic and benrahma. He could have picked these two from the start and yarmolenko or noble or kral or several others. It would have given brentford something else to think about and saved legs for thursday. So in other words, whats the point in getting in players if the manager will never pick them?
Yes I agree
No manager can expect to have his ideal line up available every game or exact the same quality in reserve to slot in
You have to find a way to use the squad, whatever their limitations
As I said, these players are not non league players but experienced internationals
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

NWhammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 am That excuse can only go so far.
11 years so far.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:59 am We maede 32 points in the first half of 20/21 and 33 in the second half of last season. We got better during last campaign.
Right. We also lost Declan Rice to injury and only had Mark Noble to replace him. Moyes even said that injury cost us the two points we missed out on the champions league by.

We all knew we needed a centre mid in the summer and January windows of that season.
Last edited by NWhammer on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Thinking about the game again this morning... we just didn't have any movement up front. Coufal passing backwards all the time, Antonio dithering before their second, Benrahma running across the pitch before he found a pass.

Benny has his critics but I think he ran more than most for us yesterday.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:14 am We also signed someone in January who made a big impact.
Yep, the obsession with signings. Modern PL-fans philosophy.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:41 am Yep, the obsession with signings. Modern PL-fans philosophy.
Yes, pointing out that Lingard made a big impact is being signing obsessed :lol:.

You mentioned the fact our 2nd half of the season was better, if you want to ignore that Lingard made a difference, that’s up to you.
NWhammer

Post by NWhammer »

S-H wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:31 am Cool, and Bowen to the bench then, yeah?
No Antonio, but if Bowen plays like he did yesterday at least we’d have someone to come in for him.
NWhammer

Post by NWhammer »

The reason why that is, is because every time we’re on the cusp of something good we don’t capitalise, our best players eventually get poached and we end up either in mid table, season over by February, or fighting it out to stay in the league. Took us Declan Rice coming through the academy for us to have this opportunity.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:09 pm Another one down our left. Keeper won’t be happy.
I'd stay quiet if I was him. A fairly soft volley going in at his near post.

Another goal where he's not made a mistake but you have to ask could he have done better?
Bubbles Fortuna

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:45 am Yes, pointing out that Lingard made a big impact is being signing obsessed :lol:.

You mentioned the fact our 2nd half of the season was better, if you want to ignore that Lingard made a difference, that’s up to you.
The weirdest past was someone claiming last season is one where we faltered after January which is just not true :lol:
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

NWhammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:53 am The reason why that is, is because every time we’re on the cusp of something good we don’t capitalise, our best players eventually get poached and we end up either in mid table, season over by February, or fighting it out to stay in the league. Took us Declan Rice coming through the academy for us to have this opportunity.
You could say that about the brentford match. Man u and Arsenal lost. Did we capitalise? no.
So we're down to 7th if those around us win their games in hand and champions league qualification via the league is very doubtful considering our league form.
We've got four more matches in Europe before we win a final and champions league qualification.

If we go out on thursday then really we are battling for another Europa League slot next season with knackered players, iffy league form and even if we do get that (7th is europa conference, sixth europa league), will that be enough for the likes of Rice and bowen to stay?
Bubbles Fortuna

NWhammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:53 am The reason why that is, is because every time we’re on the cusp of something good we don’t capitalise, our best players eventually get poached and we end up either in mid table, season over by February, or fighting it out to stay in the league. Took us Declan Rice coming through the academy for us to have this opportunity.
It's April and we're 6th and still in the Europa League.

We lost a game. We'll still qualify for Europe. Rice might still leave, though I doubt it.

This season is so far from average, and the fact that a bad performance after 90 minutes in a European QUARTER FINAL!!! Is apparently our season falling apart and Antonio being a useless, arrogant, doesn't care about West Ham dud is insanity.
DusseldorfHammer

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:45 am Yes, pointing out that Lingard made a big impact is being signing obsessed :lol:.

I don't ignore the impact Lingard did make. Not in the slightest.
DusseldorfHammer

NWhammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:40 am Right. We also lost Declan Rice to injury and only had Mark Noble to replace him. Moyes even said that injury cost us the two points we missed out on the champions league by.

We all knew we needed a centre mid in the summer and January windows of that season.
Teams like us are rarely perfect in terms of depth in quality.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 am The best form of Antonio's career has been as a striker.

He is a striker now, and a bloody good one.

We need another for sure.
Totally correct. This thing that because he once played as a wide attacking player, or a wing back that he isn't a "proper striker" is just baffling. Sir Geoff Hurst played left half (left midfield), should we have bought a player to play up front with Budgie and moved Geoff back to left half? Bobby Moore was a left half also, should we have bought another centre half to play alongside Ken Brown and moved Bob back into the midfield?
Of course not, both were better at their new roles than their old ones, and so is Antonio, expect some cannot, or more probably will not see that and keep trotting out utter bilge about "not a real striker".
We could do with another player experienced player in that role as an understudy.