Brentford 2-0 West Ham Utd (10/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Re: ⚽ Brentford V West Ham United: match thread

Post by paulhs1 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:00 am Premier League Records
Matches 8
Wins 1
Draws 2
Losses 5
Goals For 4
Goals Against 10

The record questions itself in fairness.
You're saying Alan Shearer is blind? :crylol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3020 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Brentford away will join a very long list of teams I've seen us lose to. Pint of bothered please landlord.

For them it almost certainly means a second year in the Premier League, for us, it matters little, other than the injury picked up by Zouma and the dizzy spells suffered by Dawson early doors.

Not a single player stood out as having had a good day, nobody wanted it, and little wonder with the small matter of the second leg of a quarter final in a European competition on Thursday.

3 good wins from glory.

Keep our eyes on the prize.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

It's very fair to question Shearers tactical nouse and management credentials.

But he is more than qualified to understand the physical and mental impact of the same set if players spending 45 mins with 10 men on Thursday then playing 2pm Sunday. Particularly this deep into the season, accumulative fatigue in a team based on high energy, running and focus.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:09 am I don't ignore the impact Lingard did make. Not in the slightest.
Then I really don’t get your follow up post.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3041 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:24 am Then I really don’t get your follow up post.
Different year, different market.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2031 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:29 am Different year, different market.
That was the year you were talking about though?
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

paulhs1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:27 am Well yes and no. We actually have a decent size squad, perfect in fact, it's just the lack of quality of those squad players which is something that can definitely be addressed in a couple of months when the window opens.
Given there has been 2 windows when we known we’ve been in Europe I don’t think we’ve done well enough in the market. Not catastrophic by any means but if we are serious about staying around the level we are then this summer is huge for us imo
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Whufc06 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:32 am Given there has been 2 windows when we known we’ve been in Europe I don’t think we’ve done well enough in the market. Not catastrophic by any means but if we are serious about staying around the level we are then this summer is huge for us imo
Well in fairness we did try last summer, we would be fine if Vlasic and Kral had worked out. We should have brought in a forward in January though
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:36 am Is it OK to tolerate passengers in the team? Only we had far too many and I didn't spot a single one in Man City's or Liverpools teams yesterday
Well alternatively, do you view them as passengers or do you just say the manager is very reluctant in rotating the squad?

Would it really have hurt to have started Diop, vlasic, yarmolenko, benrahma, noble?
Is there any point in having Kral or any of the kids on the bench if they are never going to play?

But that aside, it still comes back to not getting in players in the areas we need them - left back and striker/s.

All those i have mentioned have all been talked about as potential leavers come the summer apart from maybe vlasic who is not first choice.
That's an awful lot of passengers. It's like they are getting on the bench because they are fit, not because they are good or offer us viable alternatives. We cant really change our shape or play two up front etc because we simply don't have any players to do that with.
We lost to Brentford previously and just did exactly the same this time. Same team set up, same replacements in the same positions. Same end result.

On thursday we are going to be playing the same team set up with no left back and an off-form converted striker an no options in changing anything.
There isn't the possibility of a plan B.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3041 likes
Total likes: 2684 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:30 am That was the year you were talking about though?
And I was right.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2493 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:05 am Not a single player stood out as having had a good day, nobody wanted it, and little wonder with the small matter of the second leg of a quarter final in a European competition on Thursday.

3 good wins from glory.

Keep our eyes on the prize.
Yep.

Some of our lot are one good game away from possibly playing Barcelona in a competitive tie for the one and only time in their lives. They wouldn't be human if it wasn't going through their minds.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:15 pm Yep.

Some of our lot are one good game away from possibly playing Barcelona in a competitive tie for the one and only time in their lives. They wouldn't be human if it wasn't going through their minds.
Indeed, self preservation.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

^ yep, and I don't blame them one bit, yes we had our arses handed to us but it wasn't a total surprise.

Thursday and we get through then 8th is the worst we will come in the PL, go all out and rest for the 2 semi's, if we go out then problem goes away after the Burnley match.
endofthenorthernline
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by endofthenorthernline »

Although I'd be surprised if he did given his comments about a day off after beating Seville, I think Moyes should have told the players who played yesterday "don't want to see you lot until we meet up Wednesday morning for the flight to Lyon, go home rest and be ready for Wednesday". They're running on fumes at the moment , give them time off and charge out of the blocks on Thursday night in Lyon.
GPW
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by GPW »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:05 am Brentford away will join a very long list of teams I've seen us lose to. Pint of bothered please landlord.

Not a single player stood out as having had a good day, nobody wanted it, and little wonder with the small matter of the second leg of a quarter final in a European competition on Thursday.
I have seen that kind of (nobody really showing up) performance many times following us over the years. Usually several each seasons. In fairness to Moyes and the team there have been very few of them over the last 2 seasons so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt rather than too much grief over yesterday. Most of our pre/in/post game chat as supporters was about Thursday and it's only human nature if that applied to the players too.
kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer »

tbf i thought v everton we were saving ourselves for lyon but the difference was we got away with it.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

:eyes:
paulhs1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:36 am Well in fairness we did try last summer, we would be fine if Vlasic and Kral had worked out. We should have brought in a forward in January though
Exactly the wrong time to bring in a forward, the availability and quality of forwards in the January window is generally poor.
Anyone half decent gets picked up either by desperate clubs with money to burn or stinking rich clubs with even more money to burn.
Should have been sorted out last summer along with quite a few other things.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

With everyone saying that the first XI were keeping their eye on the prize, resting themselves and that it was predictable, understandable and not botherable then, pray tell, why not play some reserves?

If ever there was a time to play half a dozen others then this was it.

Do you reckon Moyes has exactly the same thing for dinner every night?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:00 pm Do you reckon Moyes has exactly the same thing for dinner every night?
Of course he does.

Black pudding and marmite sandwich, on brown, washed down with half a glass of fruit & Barley squash.
kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:00 pm With everyone saying that the first XI were keeping their eye on the prize, resting themselves and that it was predictable, understandable and not botherable then, pray tell, why not play some reserves?

If ever there was a time to play half a dozen others then this was it.

Do you reckon Moyes has exactly the same thing for dinner every night?
agree and more's to the point, did moyes think it a great idea to play pretty much exactly the same team/formation/subs against the same opposition and somehow think the result would be any different?
We don't hav ethe players for any variation or plan b.
Unfortunately the same goes v lyon.