UELQF: Olympique Lyonnais 0-3 West Ham Utd (14/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: ⚽ Olympique Lyonnais v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by flysohigh »

Funny mate, never held the French in high regard but I must say yesterday they changed my view.

We sat in the home end. No issues some banter. Treated us really well all day and outside the ground we were on in a dodgy situation waiting for West Ham to come out and join up with the others. We were surrounded by a big mob of Ultras, riot please clocked it and took us back into the stadium and out another entrance. In other years they would have watched us get battered and laughed.

I guess it depends on individual experiences.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Agreed. Spent a lot of time outside the stadium before the game. Everyone was friendly. Chatted to some locals and they were fine. People are people end of the day. Plenty of gobshites wearing claret and blue over the years in my experience.

BTW if a crowd of away supporters carried on at the London Stadium like the group down near the halfway line last night there would have been a riot.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

MrMoon wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:26 am
SpaWnOL
The referee allows West Ham’s anti-football…..

SpaWnOL
The referee doesn’t like us….
Funny how Lyon were happy to throw themselves all over the place when they knew they had a bent ******** ref in the last leg, but then got the hump when they didn't this time out............
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Nobes lifting the trophy in his final act :hammc:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I still can’t quite believe what happened last night!

Feels like a dream.
Misko
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

NedN wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:49 pm Hey Misko, always had liked watching Lyon in the 00s as you had some major players a la Juninho etc, and always had a few who were breaking into the French side. Also have a bit of a soft spot as Fred was there for a few years and my fiancée’s family is all Flu (where he still plays at around 39 and is adored).

Just was curious as to your thoughts on Gusto, who really impressed me (despite making a few mistakes, which is to be expected at his age). Given you’ve had quite a bit of talent come through your ranks, interested to hear your thoughts on him and his development vs others you’ve had in the past?

Thanks again for all of your tips and contributions to this thread. As an aside, I think a lot of the general excitement you’re seeing from us on this thread about our win, is in large part because of how significant a club Lyon has been in recent history, and how most of us see it as a big accomplishment to advance past you in European competition, which ultimately is a testament to your club.

Hope we see you in European competition in the future!
The Academy produced many good players in the last 3 decades, but mostly in the midfield and attacking positions. The name of Frédéric Kanouté may ring a bell here, for instance. But we don't have such achievements for keepers and defenders, the main exception being Umtiti.

So, it's a bit hard to compare Gusto to former fullbacks from the Academy. Very few of them made it to the first team, and almost none had any success. The guy is impressive physically, pace, power, stamina. He is also not bothered by the ball at all. He started football late and as an attacker. It's only been 2 to 3 years that he was repositioned at the back. This is quite obvious by his poor positioning at times. He is most of the time able to compensate thanks to his fitness, but not always. His activity makes him enjoyable to watch which made a good first impression among the fans. But with one year of regular play time, the truth is that he is involved in most of the severe defeats we had (like yesterday) and fails to deliver proper offensive contribution (no assist, no goal).

My guts tell me he'll be a good player though never a world class right back. He's probably more suited to a wingback role.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Lyon was a super city, had a great time sightseeing, enjoying a lovely meal and coffees of variable quality with Upton Girlie and catching up with several KUMB posters. First time I'd met Mushy, what a wa**er

I'd like to think Lyon getting nothing from their frantic start was karma at work. If the ball that hit the post had gone in it all could have been a different result but once we had weathered that storm we were superb. The ref had a great game, it was very notable that he ignored the Lyon players trying it on being "injured" early on and once they realised he was not of the same ilk as that German cheat they stopped. That is what good officiating is, set your parameters out early and be consistent.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would win 0-3 but TBH as the match went on we looked more and more dominant. Their heads dropped and they simply couldn't handle us. I think Lyon under estimated us and that is reflected in many of the OV comments. Their ultras were out of control at the end, trying to wreck their stand and fight with stewards, police and themselves. Obviously they are a minority and Misko's help and insight has really added value to the forum.

My own experience of the stewarding and policing was that it was fair and proportionate. If you didn't act like a prat, you weren't treated like a prat. Great credit to Moyes and the players for coming across to the fans whilst we waited to be let out. It certainly helped diffuse frustrations being built up with fans wanting to leave. I loved seeing Moyes really enjoying himself, he let himself have 10 minutes when he let his emotions out. I also love that it didn't really matter if you were in the ground or not, everyone enjoyed themselves regardless.

Onwards to Frankfurt.

I'll be having an early night, I'm too old now for getting in at 4am :grin:
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

I flew out on Tuesday and have had a great time in Lyon.It's a great city to spend some time and last night was superb after a shaky first 20 minutes .Got back via Eurostar about 6 hours ago and enjoying the moment.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Downunderhammerfan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:56 am Thank you Chigwell. I've searched youtube under west ham vs lyon and got nought. What am i doing wrong here?
subscribe to bt sport app/page , the truth is out there .
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

flysohigh wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:40 pm Funny mate, never held the French in high regard but I must say yesterday they changed my view.

We sat in the home end. No issues some banter. Treated us really well all day and outside the ground we were on in a dodgy situation waiting for West Ham to come out and join up with the others. We were surrounded by a big mob of Ultras, riot please clocked it and took us back into the stadium and out another entrance. In other years they would have watched us get battered and laughed.

I guess it depends on individual experiences.
I live in France

I wouldn't if I was surrounded by Mardy french c****

My Mrs is french, majority if my friends and work colleagues are french, they are bang on and very similar to us, love sarcasm and enjoy life , and take more time out that us bits do to enjoy the finer things

Like a bloody drink every night too, don't underestimate the french tiffin they have cafes and bars and pmu's everywhere because they drink as much as we do

I love living here would never move back and the people make it that way

France is not Paris, although I love Paris and am there this weekend

At work today we had some Marseille lads turn up , they clocked my little crossed hammers badge and we were like brothers , our name in France is not just hooligans like in some countries , they know what we are about , as some lyon fans clearly did in the build up to our matches

But I'm still west ham united and English no one , or country will take that away from me and the french love that about us as that's them proud and protective of everything French

Who can blame em
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

I suppose the final word should go to Clips.

Tezza65
Has liked: 1932 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

After the Brentford jaded performance, I really thought our chances yesterday were minimal.

I doubted Moyes and whether the team had the energy to produce it against Lyon,but I was wrong.

Our greatest away performance in Europe in our history. imo.

I am so proud of this team.They have put us on the map in Europe.

All together now..

."We've got super David moyes
He knows exactly what we need
Zouma At the back
Bowen in attack
West ham to win the Europa League!"

I'd change Zouma to Dawson :D
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Probably the best away game I’ve attended in my lifetime. The pure shock and delirium when Declan and Bowen got the second and third goals was something else.

Have to be honest and say I was a bit gutted when I heard Frankfurt were beating Barcelona but it quickly dawned on me that we now have a really massive chance to achieve something this club has not achieved in its 127 year history so far.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

sicknote wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:20 pm I live in France
Always enjoy a trip there and Lyon was great.

The food knocks ours into a cocked hat.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

The "Frankfurt beating Barcelona" bit should not be taken for granted. We're coming up against an excellent side who mostly manhandled Barcelona. We'll need to be at out best.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2951 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:10 pm I've wet myself.
Lyon had our number,eh?! 😆😆😆
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

WCpete wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:14 pm The "Frankfurt beating Barcelona" bit should not be taken for granted. We're coming up against an excellent side who mostly manhandled Barcelona. We'll need to be at out best.
They're having an average season in the league, almost completely due to their horrendous home form.

16th in the league on home form, 5th in the league on away form.

It feels like if the first leg finishes as a draw or a win to us we go to Germany as favourites.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

WCpete wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:14 pm The "Frankfurt beating Barcelona" bit should not be taken for granted. We're coming up against an excellent side who mostly manhandled Barcelona. We'll need to be at out best.
To be fair I’ve seen no comments about this being easy in any way. All four sides are going to fancy lifting the trophy. Makes for an excellent set of games for the neutral actually.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:15 pm was there that night with my dear old dad and mates
Lovely Oz.I went to both the away and home legs. Amazing times. Take care mate.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Kialos wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:10 pmLyon was a super city, had a great time sightseeing, enjoying a lovely meal and coffees of variable quality with Upton Girlie and catching up with several KUMB posters. First time I'd met Mushy, what a wa**er
That was 'walker', right?