UELQF: Olympique Lyonnais 0-3 West Ham Utd (14/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Re: ⚽ Olympique Lyonnais v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by IronZ-79 »

Got back late last night and wasn't the most optimistic for us getting a result. Losing big Kurt I thought was a real blow and made the task a lot harder. The boys were absolutely fantastic and was a top performance.

Special mention for Issa. I thought he was superb on the night and solid throughout. Was a top performance from the man and proved a few people wrong including me.

Bring on the Germans and let the European tour continue!!
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

BigFatSam wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:40 am Would just like to go back to this post and say going out there with no ticket and watching it “on a 24 inch tv in some weird bar” was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Never been part of an atmosphere like it, pub full to the brim, with another 500 West Ham fans watching it outside through the window.
This is bang on. I was one of those who bought a ticket for the home end (where I was planning to keep my head down and my mouth shut) but got turned away at the gate. Dashed back to the centre of town to join in the fun at the pubs. At least I was able to join in the celebrations! Unforgettable atmosphere to be in the city with thousands of delirious fellow hammers.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

steps wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:52 am Brilliant trip! And I can only speak from my own experience, I found the whole policing and stewarding for us away fans massively over the top security wise. I thought the French police made things very hard for us, from the 50 minute walk along the river to the ticket collection point at the Ibis (which a West Ham steward told me was out in the middle of nowhere under police orders, because they didn’t want hundreds of West Ham fans in town queuing for tickets, but there was literally 1000s in the bars anyway so it made no sense), to the trek to shuttle bus pick up which was also about 40 minutes outside of the city centre. Holding us on busses for ages at Euroexpo, holding us for ages when we got to the ground, CCTV cameras on us when we got through. I thought we were treated like cattle, personally.

Sorry mate, I don't agree with you here. I don't think the policing or stewarding was over the top at all. The police have a duty of care to ensure the safety of people. You'd soon be changing your tune if they acted like the police in Palermo for example and just let their ultras wade into our fans at will.

The Ibis was not in the middle of nowhere and no one needed to walk 50 minutes along the river. It was easily accessible by both the tram and metro. I don't speak French but getting around the city on public transport was simple and easier than TFL. The club obviously needed a location with suitable facilities both conference room and communications wise so it was always going to be a corporate hotel which don't tend to be located in areas full of bars and nightlife.

It was easy to get the tram to Eurexpo, the tram was picked up right outside the metro station. It was on the same line as the stations that served the old town. What hardship was that? The ground is outside the city so it's going to take a while to get there and using shuttle buses for the away support was the best way to get away fans into the away compound without any flash points. All this takes time and people should just have a think about the logistics and why it is in place before moaning.

I tell you what the worst part of the journey was, not the length of time it took or the waiting but the behaviour of pissed up blokes screaming, swearing and thumping the carriage windows acting like complete cretins and just to be clear they weren't police or stewards, they were West Ham fans.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Kialos wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:10 pmIf the ball that hit the post had gone in it all could have been a different result but once we had weathered that storm we were superb.
Can't believe that didn't hit Areola's back and go in. See that so often.
droshky
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by droshky »

L’Equipe cartoon today… can’t figure how to add it but a snarling bunch of ultras are being calmed by a player thus:

(Rough trans)

“It’s alright lads, the season isn’t over yet…St Etienne could still get relegated…”
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Still buzzing about this. Wow, that was special and to think we are in a major UEFA cup semi final. Still sinking in with a huge grin on my face.

On top of that, it is a four day weekend, the sun is out and it's beautiful.

Keep finding myself singing West Ham are massive and West Ham on fire (that Will Griggs song). 48 years old FFS. Getting right on the Mrs tits (I wish).

Come on you irons.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Kialos - I was told by the Supporters Services staff that the ticket collection point was purposely put out of town “on police orders” because “they didn’t want Lyon ultras steaming into West Ham fans collecting tickets in town” (exact words). It had nothing to do with a conference room.

My point was there was thousands of fans in town in the bars anyway, but as it turned out the ultras did not venture in.

As for the shuttle busses, I think they’re in place for all visiting fans not just us. I could see Porto stickers and graffiti at Euroexpo so they probably would of gone through the same intense security procedures we had to endure. I think it’s a problem with French football at the moment as we saw with the OL ultras fighting stewards and police in the ground.

And I also tried to go for a jimmy about 15 mins before full time and was greeted by 2 glass barriers and about 8 robocops and 2 stewards, one said “we’ll open in about 10 minutes” with a smirk on his face, and as we all know they wouldn’t let us use the toilets for a good hour plus at the end. And apparently they were pepper spraying people busting to go for a wee, if you don’t think that’s over thr top policing I don’t know what is mate.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

In typical European ultra fashion a group of about 6 of them did turn up to the main square after the bulk of supporters who had tickets to the game left.

They went up to possibly the smallest fan on his own, no older than 17, with a west ham shirt on and started harassing him with what looked like hand gestures suggesting he has a small cock.

Few groups (including myself) noticed this and told them to f*** off and they did pretty sharpish.

Assumption is that they wanted to claim some sort of victory there.

Apart from that I didn’t really see any form of real trouble, 99% good natured fun.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Vince wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:34 am Lovely Oz.I went to both the away and home legs. Amazing times. Take care mate.
hope all's well with you mate...

I think it was actually Crokey who caught my dad on our way down.

he came to Brussles with us too, we all got permission to take the day off, me, Crokey, Vic, Andy and one of Crokey's mates, Lionel.

both of them were Spurs fans too as you know.

wn
what a bloody trip..

and then some...

great times. I'm SO glad that a load of the "younger" kids who never experienced a European night under the lights at the Bolyen have experienced one or several now.

some things you just can't replace in your memory.

I honestly came up out of my couch THREE times screaming at the top of my voice when we scored.

luckily it was about 3 p.m. here and I didn't wake anyone's kids up !!!

still we do have earthquakes and I wonder deep down if some thought it might have been one as I was jumping up and down as well !!!

:crylol:

luckily enough though the floors and walls are solid concrete here so maybe they didn't hear, or if they did it was muffled.

NAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol:
Faliraki Hammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faliraki Hammer »

Has anyone had a refund for cancelled tickets in the home end?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Holding us back in the ground for longer than expected might be down to one individual calling the French officer 'Garcon' repeatedly when pleading to let us out!!!:rofl:
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Is there anywhere I can watch this game again,been looking everywhere.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

wobble wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:09 pm Is there anywhere I can watch this game again,been looking everywhere.
https://fullmatchesreplay.net/2022/04/1 ... pril-2022/

Try that
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Thank you very much, been desperate to watch again.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

wobble wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:26 pm Thank you very much, been desperate to watch again.
Welcome. I wanted to hear that call / response thing the Lyon fans did early in the game. Set the hairs on the back of my neck on end in the stadium. No wonder we were nervous to begin with. Have never experienced anything like it before.
Aussie_Rosso
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Aussie_Rosso »

Faliraki Hammer wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:50 pm Has anyone had a refund for cancelled tickets in the home end?
Negative
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Without doubt the pinnacle of my thirty years going to West Ham. Closely followed by the Wembley win and the FA Cup final. Still on cloud nine. It's going to be a very long two weeks!
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Faliraki Hammer wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:50 pm Has anyone had a refund for cancelled tickets in the home end?
:lol:

Refunds in France , seriously bonne chance !!!

If you are lucky it will take a few weeks, if normal a month

You need to chase it up and keep chasing it, refunds here are like getting blood out of a stone

Alternatively, just send them a message thanking them for all they've done for us, tell them they obviously need the money more than you do and finish it off with a wink
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Yeah as sicknote says, you’re more likely to see that refund nearer to Father’s Day than Easter.

They’d lose in a race with Ryan Air…
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

OL beat Bordeaux 6 1 today

And Seville are currently 2 1 up against Real Madrid