UELQF: Olympique Lyonnais 0-3 West Ham Utd (14/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Re: ⚽ Olympique Lyonnais v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Throughout this run, there have been 6 victories overall, each with a clean sheet, each with at least 2 goals scored.

14 goals in those matches

17 overall.

2 x 1-0 defeats, one with our kids playing.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Two years ago I was a couple of weeks away from a rare trip abroad to celebrate my 50th. West Ham were west Ham and I had not long before see us lose at home to WBA in the FA Cup.

Well the world turned upside down. An awful time for all of us and between then and now I lost my mum and brother, neither from covid but still massive blows. Many of you have had the same and we have lost friends here from the forum too.

I'm writing this from my sunbed on holiday in Canaries, hardly able to write after one of the best days I've ever had in my life. I never expected us to win and cheering us on in a pub with other Hammers was amazing.

A beatles tribute went on after and we drunkenly danced to twist and shout. Unbelievable.

I feel a tear in my eye writing this.

Just just magic :hamm:
Long Shot
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Long Shot »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:07 pm

:heart:
Hate to break it to the kids but this is what happens to men when they go past 32 years old I'm afraid. I bet he walks around his house tutting and turning lights of during the day and waiting until mid November before putting the central heating on. :grin:

Legend
bishbosh2
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by bishbosh2 »

(To the tune of Sit Down)...

Our European tour has taken us to some far out places,
Lyon thought they beat us but we beat the c**** 3-0,
Johnson, Coufal and Diop in David Moyes’ BACK FOOOOOOUR
And then we’ve got Craig Dawson, WHO WILL WIN THE BALLON’DOR

CRAIG DAWSON, CRAIG DAWSON, CRAIG DAWSON, SCORE A GOAL FOR ME
DAWSON, DAWSON, DAWSON, DAWSOOOOOON,
HE’S BETTER THAN MES-SSI....
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Long Shot wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:23 pm Hate to break it to the kids but this is what happens to men when they go past 32 years old I'm afraid. I bet he walks around his house tutting and turning lights of during the day and waiting until mid November before putting the central heating on. :grin:

Legend
He really should have been wearing socks though..
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Samba wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:57 pm He really should have been wearing socks though..
Slippers. I wear mine even in the summer. I hate my feet exposed to the elements.
Samba

Post by Samba »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:48 pm Two years ago I was a couple of weeks away from a rare trip abroad to celebrate my 50th. West Ham were west Ham and I had not long before see us lose at home to WBA in the FA Cup.

Well the world turned upside down. An awful time for all of us and between then and now I lost my mum and brother, neither from covid but still massive blows. Many of you have had the same and we have lost friends here from the forum too.

I'm writing this from my sunbed on holiday in Canaries, hardly able to write after one of the best days I've ever had in my life. I never expected us to win and cheering us on in a pub with other Hammers was amazing.

A beatles tribute went on after and we drunkenly danced to twist and shout. Unbelievable.

I feel a tear in my eye writing this.

Lovely post, bb.
Samba

Post by Samba »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:58 pm Slippers. I wear mine even in the summer. I hate my feet exposed to the elements.
That would have been even better, wolf!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

4pm the next day and I am still wandering around with a stupid big grin on my chops.
Long Shot
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Long Shot »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:48 pm Two years ago....

:muscle:
Eggs'n'nuts
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

MrMoon wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:26 am
SpaWnOL
The referee allows West Ham’s anti-football…..
I don't know why, but this one cracked me up.........

Lyon put a big cross into our area. Dawson heads clear, but only falls to Rice who puts his laces through it straight to Antonio who's on-side and gets another West Ham attack going. The referee blows his whistle. Rice approaches the ref:

Rice: What's that for ref?

Ref: I'm sorry Declan, but I'm classing that as anti-football. You haven't played out of the back as The French purists would like. Free kick to Lyon just outside the D I'm afraid.

Personally, I thought we played some wonderful football out of the back on more than several occasions. What did their tippy tappy football achieve?
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Downunderhammerfan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:37 am Good morning fellow Hammers. Do any of you proud winners have a link to a replay of our amazing performance please?
Cannot do links but if you Google this: "full match replay", you will find several sites with the game in full.
Last edited by Upton Carp on Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

I got absolutely shitfaced watching the game last night. Scared the dogs with my screaming on 3 seperate occasions, woke the neighbours up by singing "Irons" at midnight in the garden.
Fresh as a daisy today. No idea why. I should be praying at the porcelain throne after counting the number of bottled beers in the recycle bin.

Frankfurt is going to be epic. They are, in essence, the German version of us.

The ref last night was one of the best I've seen in many years. Called everything fair and let the game flow :clap:
I also though Lucy Ward on BT Sport did an outstanding job analysing the game alongside Ian Darke.

Absolutely buzzing off my tits.
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 399 likes

Post by kenthammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:01 pm 4pm the next day and I am still wandering around with a stupid big grin on my chops.
Sure it's not wind
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Wrong post :newthumb:
Last edited by Billy Bonds boots on Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Misko wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:18 pm The expected value is over €60M, they say. I seriously doubt he has what it takes mentally to ever justify that amount of money, but he has everything else.

For Toko-Ekambi, I'm pretty sure you would have no problem in recruiting him. But I'm not sure you really need such a profile.
Hey Misko, always had liked watching Lyon in the 00s as you had some major players a la Juninho etc, and always had a few who were breaking into the French side. Also have a bit of a soft spot as Fred was there for a few years and my fiancée’s family is all Flu (where he still plays at around 39 and is adored).

Just was curious as to your thoughts on Gusto, who really impressed me (despite making a few mistakes, which is to be expected at his age). Given you’ve had quite a bit of talent come through your ranks, interested to hear your thoughts on him and his development vs others you’ve had in the past?

Thanks again for all of your tips and contributions to this thread. As an aside, I think a lot of the general excitement you’re seeing from us on this thread about our win, is in large part because of how significant a club Lyon has been in recent history, and how most of us see it as a big accomplishment to advance past you in European competition, which ultimately is a testament to your club.

Hope we see you in European competition in the future!
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Misko wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:44 pm It seems as obvious that the 6th of EPL is superior to the 10th of Ligue 1 as that the 18th of UEFA ranking is superior to an unexperienced team.
Understandable, although I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to 'UEFA ranking' over here. To the French fans who don't watch the Premier League every week, we must be very easy to underestimate.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1363 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

46 years ago the night we played Frankfurt at the old place still rates as the best football experience I’ve ever had, last night in Lyon much older but maybe no wiser once again my beloved Hammers brought a tear to the eye of sheer pride and joy. Moyes and the boys were just magnificent, so many old faces who’ve done the hard miles over the years celebrated together and our new generation enjoyed an experience that will make them Hammers for life, it’s what this club does to you…

So Eintracht once again, another tough one, bring it on ❤️
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

1895Hammer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:08 pm 46 years ago the night we played Frankfurt at the old place still rates as the best football experience I’ve ever had, last night in Lyon much older but maybe no wiser once again my beloved Hammers brought a tear to the eye of sheer pride and joy. Moyes and the boys were just magnificent, so many old faces who’ve done the hard miles over the years celebrated together and our new generation enjoyed an experience that will make them Hammers for life, it’s what this club does to you…

So Eintracht once again, another tough one, bring it on ❤️
was there that night with my dear old dad and mates

iirc we were in the East Terrace and when we scored everyone surged forward. I know there wasn't many steps but there was nothing at all from stopping you for piling forward. which we did.

dad takes a full force surge forward one of my mates catches him during HIS surge forward, caught his hat placed it back on my dad's head as if nothing untorward had happened.

hate to think (going back to UtJ's post a few weeks back), how hurt anyone could have gotten.

dad looks up and says to my mate, "You silly bleeder..." and goes on again as if nowt had happened.

he would have been as chuffed as punch with last night.

think that was one of the last times he stood with us, he was probably 70 about then, my mate bought a season ticket, stood with us and gave said ticket to my dad.

wonder what my mates then would have made of last night.

hope some are still on this planet earth, I'm 73 this year and my mates would have been in and around that with one I know who would have been maybe 8-10 years older.

I'll have a drink to absent friends here on Saturday night..

:newthumb:
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

After a brilliant couple of days it is now being ruined by the lazy b*stard French border control staff .
We are stuck in the cess pit they call Calais waiting hours to get a Eurotunnel back home.
I ****ing hate the French