UELQF: Olympique Lyonnais 0-3 West Ham Utd (14/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

spod
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

UELQF: Olympique Lyonnais 0-3 West Ham Utd (14/4/22)

Post by spod »

Image v Image

Europa League Quarter Final, Second Leg. (1-1).

Thursday, 14th April 2022, Parc Olympique Lyonnais.

KO: 2000 UK Time, live on BT Sport.

Depite ptsd’s assertions, we looked a better side than Lyon in the first leg. As long as it stays 11 v 11, we should win on Thursday.
The Straw
Has liked: 581 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Olympique Lyonnais: match thread

Post by The Straw »

I admire Moyes for many reasons, he's given us our pride back. And part of that is the way his team reflects his own personality. He wants to do it the right way. Fairly. Well, as fairly as possible in this day and age. I know that it will inevitably cost us glory down the line, maybe even as soon as Thursday. But he is a great antidote to the toxic, media-enabled, celebrated 'win by any means possible' game we now find ourselves playing. He is a credit to himself, our club, and this sport.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Boleyn-Boys wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 pm According to the lyon ultra on twitter they have heard a rumour we have taken block 426 and are trying to rally the troops to greet us :horror: looks set to be a cracker next week
They seem like a right bunch of c****. I reckon it’s going to really kick off out there.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

jastons wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:17 pm We don't need to invent new rules, we just need the existing rules to be enforced. The game doesn't get stopped unless it's a head injury.
not disputing this mate, but a player will get kicked on the leg some place and fall down holding his head, so the game gets stopped.

we've already seen players falling down after getting pushed in the chest or barged in the back and fall down clutching their head looking for a stoppage.

the ONLY way to sort this out is to have retroactive VAR and punish the guilty.

watch any game not involving us so you can do it with neutrality and see how many players don't get hit ANYWHERE near the head region but fall down, holding their face and begging for a stoppage in play. it's like City's cynical fouls to break up an attack or disrupt the opposition's attacking play.

maybe even issue a retroactive yellow card for simulation ?
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Boleyn-Boys wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 pm According to the lyon ultra on twitter they have heard a rumour we have taken block 426 and are trying to rally the troops to greet us :horror: looks set to be a cracker next week
I sincerely hope not. Surely we have evolved to be better than this.
Misko
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1385 likes

Post by Misko »

What the f**k is that now??? OK, so I really underestimated their stupidity. Please guys, be careful when going to the stadium and around it. :horror:
pmdd
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by pmdd »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:39 pm If you want to take the time to come on here and pretend that game intelligence is the same as trying to trick the referee by diving and cheating I would suggest you are wasting your Friday night.
You’re wrong, at no time did I defend the fake players. I’m just saying that you were not good and that you put the blame on the simulation of Lyon. If it upsets you is that you are really limited. I know your team and I know it’s better than Lyon, but not this time.
We are not good this year, 9th of our championship which is a weak championship! we frame 10% of our shots! we have possession of the ball but nothing is done. I don’t like Bosz and I don’t like this game. And if you drew against us, you were bad, that’s all. The return game, we never know if by chance our shots are on target we can win, but it will be by chance.
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

We are not favorites and our players know it. Maybe doubt is our only advantage, not to get back on the field thinking we’ve already won. Bosz said our game was rotten, and it’s true, and you only played a lousy game against us. That’s the reality. If we’re lucky and we don’t think we’re favourites, we can win. We’ll see, our season is rotten anyway.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

pmdd wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:15 pm Personally I respect English clubs and I love your football. I know your strength and at first I thought you were favorites. But after the first game I’m not sure. But we’ve been so bad this year that I won’t say. You just need to play better. Football is not just about physical engagement.
I think you're right; we do need to play a bit better to make sure of the victory.

The story of our season, though, in part, has been stronger away performances, compared against the home match we have had with a large number of opponents.

We will not be worried about coming to your stadium, especially, if, as expected, it is only 2/3 full of your fans.
Bristoliron338
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Bristoliron338 »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Last edited by last.caress on Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Casual racism
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bristoliron338 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:08 am Stop asking questions dude. Theres a bad smell in here. :hamm:
Come on, mate, is that needed?
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

pmdd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:58 amWe are not favorites and our players know it. Maybe doubt is our only advantage, not to get back on the field thinking we’ve already won. Bosz said our game was rotten, and it’s true, and you only played a lousy game against us. That’s the reality. If we’re lucky and we don’t think we’re favourites, we can win. We’ll see, our season is rotten anyway.
Must be tougher since Montpellier and Bordeaux are absolutely battering your lot at your actual national sport this season.

At least in Lyon though you don’t get blanked when you try and buy a football shirt like you do in Toulouse or Carcassonne!!!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

pmdd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:53 am You’re wrong, at no time did I defend the fake players. I’m just saying that you were not good and that you put the blame on the simulation of Lyon. If it upsets you is that you are really limited. I know your team and I know it’s better than Lyon, but not this time.
We are not good this year, 9th of our championship which is a weak championship! we frame 10% of our shots! we have possession of the ball but nothing is done. I don’t like Bosz and I don’t like this game. And if you drew against us, you were bad, that’s all. The return game, we never know if by chance our shots are on target we can win, but it will be by chance.
We drew against you because Dembele cheated to get one of our players sent off and the ref was poor.

Really you should look in the mirror that you could barely lay a glove on ten men.
pmdd

Post by pmdd »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:37 am We drew against you because Dembele cheated to get one of our players sent off and the ref was poor.

Really you should look in the mirror that you could barely lay a glove on ten men.
On the contrary, this explulsion forced you to play 10 behind and we don’t know how to handle it. No one knows what the match would have turned out to be, 11 to 11, and we dominated you in the first half. The expulsions reinforce the spirit of revenge, it is not necessarily an advantage to play against a team of 10 gathered behind.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Bristoliron338 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:08 am Stop asking questions dude. Theres a bad smell in here. :hamm:
Blimey Neil Ruddock has piped up.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:37 am We drew against you because Dembele cheated to get one of our players sent off and the ref was poor.

We drew, one of the reasons being that Creswell made a silly tackle which the ref decided was a red card.
You cannot argue that Creswell caught the player and whatever happened next is largely immaterial.
That red was down to the ref not Dembele.
The French guys are saying that to progress we need to be a lot smarter and I make them right.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Misko wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:41 am What the f**k is that now??? OK, so I really underestimated their stupidity. Please guys, be careful when going to the stadium and around it. :horror:
I think some of that might be getting misinterpreted. Lots of replies about how they don't expect the West Ham fans to be coming looking for trouble, we're not like Besiktas, Lyon fans need to make sure the rivalry stays friendly.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2706 likes

Post by sendô »

It absolutely was down to Dembele. He felt an arm brush his shoulder and launched himself to the floor.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

pmdd wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:07 am On the contrary, this explulsion forced you to play 10 behind and we don’t know how to handle it. No one knows what the match would have turned out to be, 11 to 11, and we dominated you in the first half. The expulsions reinforce the spirit of revenge, it is not necessarily an advantage to play against a team of 10 gathered behind.
You spout a load of crap.

No doubt you had a more composed start to the game, with us looking nervous. However for the last twenty minutes of that first half we were clicking into gear, finding our way, and I have no doubt with eleven men we would have gone on to win that game by a couple of goals.

Like Moyes said we saw what Lyon had. It wasn’t much.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1981 likes
Total likes: 4715 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

mushy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:29 am We drew, one of the reasons being that Creswell made a silly tackle which the ref decided was a red card.
You cannot argue that Creswell caught the player and whatever happened next is largely immaterial.
That red was down to the ref not Dembele.
The French guys are saying that to progress we need to be a lot smarter and I make them right.
Dembele had made the choice to dive before Cresswell touches him. He sprints to ensure he can get any touch on the ball and then throw himself over, that's why his touch was so heavy and away from goal, he didn't care where it went as long as he touched it.

One touch on the shoulder from Cresswell and he throws himself over a couple of steps later.

The wink says it all.