UELSF: West Ham Utd 1-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (28/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Eintracht Frankfurt: match thread

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

We are still in this tie. What’s crucial is we don’t chase an early goal too much in Germany. Even if we go 1-0 down, it’s not over. The key for me is patience.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think yesterday was the toughest 90 minutes of EL football our team has played.

The toughest one after that was away at Sevilla.

I think, too, that all three teams in the knock out rounds have been superior to those we played in group stage.

As such, things are getting harder the more stretched our team becomes.

The worrying thing is that there is neither any real Plan B in terms of team structure, nor do the players on the bench last night seem to be likely 'game-changers' if they start next Thursday.

We need to re-sharpen the danger from our set-pieces.

I actually also think we might sensibly put Johnson LB and Coufal RB.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

I'm not feeling down.

The tie is still very open.

Psychologically Frankfurt are in a difficult spot too. Naturally, anyone would want to be leading the tie going into a home leg.....but therein lies the pressure and the expectation......and if things start to go wrong for them that can become uncontrollable.

We are well in this. Make no mistake. And at our best, we are definitely a better away team.

Quietly confident.

:hamm:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I think we're reading in to and dissecting last night way too much. It's as simple as a collective of brain farts in our midfield at the start of the game that changed the entire dynamic of it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:35 pm

Also thought Johnson for Coufal was the wrong choice
I know we're all not proper football managers, but that position was crying out for a change early doors, I can see waiting a bit, but Shirley after h-t or at the worst, 60 minutes was way beyond me.

I know he's one of our own and all that, and I like it that we can get kids game time, but he's not been great in the last few games.

was it the Lyon game at home when he was LB after Cresswell was sent off and he was really poor.

I'd have changed it no later than 60 minutes. he's had enough time on the pitch that being subbed isn't going to crush him for the future.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:09 pm I know we're all not proper football managers, but that position was crying out for a change early doors, I can see waiting a bit, but Shirley after h-t or at the worst, 60 minutes was way beyond me.

I know he's one of our own and all that, and I like it that we can get kids game time, but he's not been great in the last few games.

was it the Lyon game at home when he was LB after Cresswell was sent off and he was really poor.

I'd have changed it no later than 60 minutes. he's had enough time on the pitch that being subbed isn't going to crush him for the future.
I can understand it to begin with, I can see him worrying about Kostic and Johnson being our most reliable defensive full back, not just cos he's a good defender, but because he doesnt really gamble too much going forward.

But he looked a boy yesterday, and we needed Coufal there to support Bowen and just have the confidence to do things quicker and more direct.

Coufal should play. He's a better player, but I think it's more important that he is a more confident player and one that his teammates know better. He's easier to predict than Johnson, he will likely be where you think he is and do what you think he'll do.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

Haven’t read the whole thread - read a bit last night when I got home from the game and just read the last few pages now - surprised no-one is saying anything about Moyes’ lack of subs (apologies if I have missed this). Coufal (for Johnson) and Yarmalenko (for Antonio) should have happened at half time. Dec playing deep and Soucek doing FA, I would’ve even considered bringing on Noble at some point and sitting him deep to give Dec a bit more freedom. We were crying out for some changes.

I know I’m not supposed to criticise “one of our own “ but I’m not a huge fan of Johnson. In defence his positioning is often questionable and his lack of crossing ability really affects our effectiveness going forward imho. Throw ins not great either. The odd good game is no argument to keep picking him.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Why are people saying we should have subbed Antonio? Ridiculous suggestion.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:51 pm Referee also spoke to Antonio before couple of corners - obviously I have no idea about what but you would suspect it was some sort of ‘warning’
Yeah, it was bad refereeing.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm surprised at the easy ride Pablo Fornals gets. Yes he's industrious, so maybe that's what people see, but not only was he caught napping for their early opener, he never really got to grips with things in midfield
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

BMLGirl wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 pm Haven’t read the whole thread - read a bit last night when I got home from the game and just read the last few pages now - surprised no-one is saying anything about Moyes’ lack of subs (apologies if I have missed this). Coufal (for Johnson) and Yarmalenko (for Antonio) should have happened at half time. Dec playing deep and Soucek doing FA, I would’ve even considered bringing on Noble at some point and sitting him deep to give Dec a bit more freedom. We were crying out for some changes.

I know I’m not supposed to criticise “one of our own “ but I’m not a huge fan of Johnson. In defence his positioning is often questionable and his lack of crossing ability really affects our effectiveness going forward imho. Throw ins not great either. The odd good game is no argument to keep picking him.
I have to agree on Ben. I want him to do well, I really do. He seens a genuine type and has a great physique for a defender but his technique and pace are still imo a way off from considering him a first choice starter. Atm he offers very little going forward which is a big handicap for a modern full back, his first touch often sees him turn back rather than forward. I think his pace is also questionable atm. Rather a hatchet job on the young man but I sincerely hope in time that he can improve on his current deficiencies. Currently, I would pick Coufal over him at right back but if he can improve sufficiently I would hope he can become Cresswell's permanent successor at left back. All up to him.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:05 pm Why are people saying we should have subbed Antonio? Ridiculous suggestion.
I thought he was excellent again. Really starting to divide opinions isn’t he?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:13 pm I'm surprised at the easy ride Pablo Fornals gets. Yes he's industrious, so maybe that's what people see, but not only was he caught napping for their early opener, he never really got to grips with things in midfield
Cos he made a single mistake and it was obvious. I think a lot of people are more annoyed we set up in a system where Fornals was going to be defending the back post. And at how sloppy every part of the goal was from us.

Not sure he was gonna take over midfield from the left.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:13 pm I'm surprised at the easy ride Pablo Fornals gets. Yes he's industrious, so maybe that's what people see, but not only was he caught napping for their early opener, he never really got to grips with things in midfield
I'm his biggest fan but Have to agree, everything he tried didn't come off. He's usually Mr dependable, usually involved in setting up goals and always gives 100% so can't lay into him too much.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:38 am I’d also second the bit about people leaving with 10 minutes left in the first half. Realistically, this was the biggest match that West Ham could ever play at home and people couldn’t be bothered to watch the whole match. Just doesn’t make sense.
People treat it more as a booze up than just a trip to watch a match.

My brother dragged me down for an overpriced pint of Amstel on 38 mins - to be honest the queues there are so ridiculous if you leave on the whistle by the time you get out your seat to the aisle and down the steps to the bar you’d only have 5 mins to finish the beer by the 2nd half starting.

Rip off prices for a watery lager in a plastic cup and not really my thing but I think a lot of blokes are more housebound with their work and kids, chores etc than in the old days so want a few beers when the wife stamps their leave card for an evening.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:05 pm Why are people saying we should have subbed Antonio? Ridiculous suggestion.
And why ridiculous IB? IMO, Antonio last night was his old Jekyll and Hyde. One minute brilliant, the next awful. Pretty anonymous 2nd half. Yarmo played well at Chelsea and was worth a try last 15 minutes.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

johnnyb wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:15 pm I have to agree on Ben. I want him to do well, I really do. He seens a genuine type and has a great physique for a defender but his technique and pace are still imo a way off from considering him a first choice starter. Atm he offers very little going forward which is a big handicap for a modern full back, his first touch often sees him turn back rather than forward. I think his pace is also questionable atm. Rather a hatchet job on the young man but I sincerely hope in time that he can improve on his current deficiencies. Currently, I would pick Coufal over him at right back but if he can improve sufficiently I would hope he can become Cresswell's permanent successor at left back. All up to him.
I don't think so mate. all you've done is give an opinion on the game last night and a specific player whose name has come in the last couple of posts.

I think that all comments on specific games, personnel, choice of subs, manager's decisions are fair game as long as, like you have done, is purely critique and I think you've done it in a fair manner.

I'm sure, like loads of us, you want a local kid to do well. after all, if he, and the rest of the team do, it more than likely means that the team is doing well which is what we all want.

I think Moyes is doing an absolutely fantastic job, although I wasn't enamoured with him coming back. happy to say, I was 100% wrong.

however, I also think it's fair to commend him and the team when they do well. and it's also fair to critique (not criticize) when they or he doesn't get it right.

it's a forum. we're commenting a the game and the players picked last night.

I think that Noble would have solidify the CM in place of Lanzini, but it's easy to see why we went for Benni (who I thought really kicked us on, irrespective of his wayward shot, he looked like the only one to at least get us going in the right direction) but by then, they were 2-1 up and we need momentum rather than solidifying.

but I thought Johnson was pretty poor. he slowed the game down, couldn't get past the first defender on his crosses and mostly it seemed, pass backward or sideways. now maybe that's his instructions, maybe there was not much going on in front of him, but imvho, a team that's built to counter, HAS to maintain pace going forward and not slow the game down, allowing the defensive players to recover and them to get back into good defensive shape.

Lanzini wasn't great at it either, not bad, but not great, and Fornals seemed to pick the wrong choice rather than the right one an awful lot of the time.

and as for the set pieces........
Whitton tank
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Whitton tank »

I've been waiting 50 years for a payback for blowing a 2-1 away first leg of a semi-final victory against Stoke in the league cup.
If a team with Moore, Hurst, Bonds, Brooking and Lampard can blow it then that Frankfurt side can against this West Ham side.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Thing with Johnson was first half he was getting advanced just his end product was not great. As the game went on he dropped deeper and deeper. I am far from convinced there was a significant formation change even when Benrahma came on but rather he became more and more concerned about the space they had on his side, their 10 and 15 did play well together.

I think at that point we needed the experience of Coufal, knowing when to push on, when to just crunch the opponent etc. I expected the change with about 25 to go and was disappointed we did not get it.

As for Antonio no way should he have been subbed, late on it was him being Antonio and a physical nuisance that was creating the space for the likes of Bowen, Benny and Fornals when we went long. This is not Yarmo’s game in any way. We were just not good enough on the night to play through them which might have suited him.
The hayfield
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by The hayfield »

The sooner Moyes realises that fornals shouldn't be mummying cresswell the better . Our best performance in months was when Aaron wasn't available Vs lyon . Hate to criticise him but it's the truth .
Last edited by The hayfield on Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.