UELSF: West Ham Utd 1-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (28/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BigRon

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Eintracht Frankfurt: match thread

Post by BigRon »

Sloppy goals cost us and a poor second half. Always tougher when we start so badly, but we moved the ball so well first half - quick passes, an urgency about our play. They were clinical with their chances, but after scoring 3 goals from 7 chances against Barca it's clear they're dangerous on the break. I fancy us to do them at their gaff, when we showed something in the final third we cut them to pieces, hopefully we get a repeat of the 1976 second leg score!
Rice was completely world class.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Gsbgsb wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:24 pm Having had a season ticket for 30 years at the Boleyn and going for longer I did not see a Euro semi final so cannot comment. Did see the Dynamo game in 1980 when we clapped them off the pitch after they demolished us - do not recall it being the greatest atmosphere support wise.

I can recall many a game when the ground was empty by the final whistle, when the atmosphere was sour at best (and far worse generally than last night) when we were losing etc.

This idea that somehow the Boleyn was the paradigm of perfect wholehearted support for the team is b*llocks.
Agreed. I think far too many look back with their C&B specs on.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:31 am I thought we were excellent at set pieces managing to pass the ball perfectly to their keepers gloves.

This is the frustration, set pieces are our greatest strength and we kept dropping in-swingers on the keeper, why didn't we switch to out-swingers, is it that we have no brains on the field, or were they following orders?
TeddyThePug
Has liked: 1 like

Post by TeddyThePug »

snooperpooper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:25 pm This is the frustration, set pieces are our greatest strength and we kept dropping in-swingers on the keeper, why didn't we switch to out-swingers, is it that we have no brains on the field, or were they following orders?
As others have said their manager did his homework. Normally antonio would stop the keeper coming out but they put a defender on antonio to stop him getting even close to the GK. At one point antonio was on the floor three times before the corner was even taken.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I was pretty impressed with the opposition to be honest. I thought they all had the quality with their first touch and close control that only a handful of our players have.

I really hope the Moysiah rests Fornals and Soucek at the weekend: running them ragged against Chelsea definitely appeared to affect their performances last night. Zouma also doesn't look anything like fully fit and I think there's a really strong case for resting all our first XI because unless we raise our level like we did at Lyon, we ain't making the final.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Referee also spoke to Antonio before couple of corners - obviously I have no idea about what but you would suspect it was some sort of ‘warning’
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

snooperpooper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:25 pm This is the frustration, set pieces are our greatest strength and we kept dropping in-swingers on the keeper, why didn't we switch to out-swingers, is it that we have no brains on the field, or were they following orders?
We did switch to out-swingers - but still kept dropping them on the goalkeeper.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Been thinking about this overnight

We seemed unusually unstructured defensively last night. I wonder how much late fitness of Zouma/ trying to keep him wrapped up as a surprise contributed to that
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I have every confidence that Moyes will do his homework and be ready for Thursday, in fact I reckon he will be putting in 15 hour shifts until then.

Most if us on here can see where it went wrong last night so he must have seen it too
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

BigFatSam wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:05 pm It would have happened. You can’t compete with organised chanting like that.

Upton Park really wasn’t what some people think it was, a great ground with a great atmosphere, sometimes.
Agree 100% - yes on big occasions the atmosphere was good but most of the time it was piss poor
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm Been thinking about this overnight

We seemed unusually unstructured defensively last night. I wonder how much late fitness of Zouma/ trying to keep him wrapped up as a surprise contributed to that
That and playing a slightly unfamiliar defensive system. Not sure why Moyes decided to set up with a back three and Johnson/Fornals as wing backs, but a lot of the space we ended up affording Kostic and, especially, Knauff came from them getting behind our wing backs.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

TeddyThePug wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:40 pm As others have said their manager did his homework. Normally antonio would stop the keeper coming out but they put a defender on antonio to stop him getting even close to the GK. At one point antonio was on the floor three times before the corner was even taken.
And we didn't have enough intelligence on the pitch to change it up :chin:
TeddyThePug

Post by TeddyThePug »

snooperpooper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:07 pm And we didn't have enough intelligence on the pitch to change it up :chin:
Didn't look like it from where i was sitting second half!
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Looking at the stats from last night we had 15 shots - 2 on target.

Eintracht Frankfurt 8 shots - 4 on target.

Like we've seen on countless times this season, at Sevilla (A), Liverpool (A), Southampton cup (A) off the top of my head, we create the chances, we need to put the ****er away.

Sod scoring goals in the Prem for the rest of the season, I'll save them all for this game & possible final.

We'll defo get opportunities vs this lot. We need another clinical performance like vs Lyon (A) 0-3.

COYI :hamm:
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

mickthekeeper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:54 pm I’ve just seen this again on the highlights.

From (nearly) behind that goal, it didn’t look a good effort, but having seen it from behind Benrahma, it’s an awful effort.

His final decision making, imo, is very poor and akin to Mahrez levels of “look how good I am” showmanship that rarely pays off (or he does it deliberately).

Lay the ball across to Antonio and he has a tap in.
He is a greedy one is Benhrama.

Moyes must have drilled into him hundreds of times the need to be a team player. I wonder if he just doesn’t listen.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:56 pm Been thinking about this overnight

I feel it did. All of them looked a bit off the pace.
The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Centre Half wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:22 pm He is a greedy one is Benhrama.

Moyes must have drilled into him hundreds of times the need to be a team player. I wonder if he just doesn’t listen.
Benrahma is a quality player let down by his finishing. If we had players that could play him in more and follow his runs, (see Rice's ball in to them last night) his first touch from long diagonal balls is often absolutely ridiculous, he generally takes it in his stride at full pelt.

He was certainly our best attacking player last night in my opinion.

Another example of him running at full pelt.

Problem is what he does after that is generally the wrong option. While shooting last night was potentially the right option but he gets it so badly wrong and snatches at shots a lot of the time. I honestly feel it's a confidence thing. I'd actually play him off Antonio to be honest and play Vlasic and him interchanging.

Seems to have no confidence hitting the ball on his weaker foot, needs to work on that as Bowen has and it would make him less predictable imo.
Last edited by The Green Man on Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Unfortunately, there is one player we would all start and would make a difference in this game.

And it's Jesse Lingard. Gives us bits of Manu and everything Benrahma wishes he'd bring. It's frustrating.

I do think there's scope for going at them with Benrahma, I'd have played him central when he came on. They didnt like being run at, Bowen showed that and Rice did too

Also thought Johnson for Coufal was the wrong choice
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:35 pm Unfortunately, there is one player we would all start and would make a difference in this game.

And it's Jesse Lingard. Gives us bits of Manu and everything Benrahma wishes he'd bring. It's frustrating.

I do think there's scope for going at them with Benrahma, I'd have played him central when he came on. They didnt like being run at, Bowen showed that and Rice did too

Also thought Johnson for Coufal was the wrong choice
He would've done and I thought about posting much the same thing. At least he wouldn't have continuously and repetitively kept on doing the same thing over and over again
Great-yarmouth-iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Great-yarmouth-iron »

We are definitely still in this tie but a few points I took from the game last night that really irritated me.
When cresswell get in behind and plays that ball across the six yard box why did nobody gamble at the near post?.
In the second half Antonio had a few balls played up to him and he didn’t even jump or challenge for the ball he literally just let the defender jump and head it back again JUST jump and challenge for it for god sake.
Fornals had an opportunity and I noticed he does this a lot he always takes it first time and tries to side foot it towards goal when he has time and space to take a touch or let it go across his body to then put his laces through it. Apart from those I thought we done generally well and taking positives into next week. :hammc: :crest: