UELSF: West Ham Utd 1-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (28/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

GPW
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Eintracht Frankfurt: match thread

Post by GPW »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:37 pm And why ridiculous IB? IMO, Antonio last night was his old Jekyll and Hyde. One minute brilliant, the next awful. Pretty anonymous 2nd half. Yarmo played well at Chelsea and was worth a try last 15 minutes.
I think Antonio epitomised the "converted" striker last night. Lots of really good work and aggressive running, mostly in the channels. At the same time not enough threat in the box for someone playing as the only real striker. The lack of anticipation and instinct are an issue. If we had someone to throw up there with him it might have been different but we know we don't.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:13 pm I'm surprised at the easy ride Pablo Fornals gets. Yes he's industrious, so maybe that's what people see, but not only was he caught napping for their early opener, he never really got to grips with things in midfield
Can he be blamed when he is played out of position? He isn't a lwb

He isn't overly a left midfielder

He is a cam ..

It would be like putting zouma up front and moaning if he missed a one on one
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

CM is his best/preferred position and to be honest if he was putting in motm displays every week he wouldn’t be here much longer.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

YorksHammer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:06 pm That and playing a slightly unfamiliar defensive system. Not sure why Moyes decided to set up with a back three and Johnson/Fornals as wing backs, but a lot of the space we ended up affording Kostic and, especially, Knauff came from them getting behind our wing backs.
Yup, they were exploiting the space outside Dawson and Cresswell who are both snail paced. Moyes is making decisions to protect defenders that are not quick enough in a back four - I get that - but I think that showed Frankfurt far too much respect. With Zouma back we should’ve started with our best team in our best formation 4-2-3-1. We were so much further up the pitch and in a better shape when Benny came on and we reverted to what works.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

If you can watch those clips of Benrahma and still want him sold I’d argue you should be watching a different sport. That is football to me.

Yes he’s frustrating. Yes he makes wrong decisions. But he’s the bravest player on the pitch because he always try’s to change the game. That needs fine-tuning not binning off.

I’d build the team around him if it was up to me.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:21 pm If you can watch those clips of Benrahma and still want him sold I’d argue you should be watching a different sport. That is football to me.

Yes he’s frustrating. Yes he makes wrong decisions. But he’s the bravest player on the pitch because he always try’s to change the game. That needs fine-tuning not binning off.

This 100 times over

Player who gets you off your seat

If we are in Europe it's more games and he is a hell of a player to have in the squad
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Good post Mr Mole.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

GPW wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:32 pm I think Antonio epitomised the "converted" striker last night. Lots of really good work and aggressive running, mostly in the channels. At the same time not enough threat in the box for someone playing as the only real striker. The lack of anticipation and instinct are an issue. If we had someone to throw up there with him it might have been different but we know we don't.
The lack of anticipation and instinct to get on a header across goal?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:21 pm If you can watch those clips of Benrahma and still want him sold I’d argue you should be watching a different sport. That is football to me.

Football is many things, but execution of skill under intense pressure is one of them. The important moments, the pressured moments, it's a sliced shot nowhere near the top corner with two players in good passing positions.

I'd have him in the squad, I think he's a good sub to use. Wouldnt use brave though, stupid is closer.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

No matter how eye catching there needs to be a decent ratio of good possession : end result (shot on target or accurate pass).

Ben continually disappoints.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Agreed on Behrahma. I’d have put him as a 10. As frustrating as he is he’s is far and away our most skilful player.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:23 pm This 100 times over

Player who gets you off your seat

If we are in Europe it's more games and he is a hell of a player to have in the squad
He gets you off your seat in exhilaration and frustration in equal measure and you never know which one is coming next. He is a brave player though, always looking to take players on, or to get a shot away or to put somebody else in on goal and he has also upped his work rate.

All of the above is why I see him adding most value as an impact sub as he showed on Thursday. But, if he is used in that role he should be given more than 20 minutes, especially if we need to turn a game around.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Just watched the game again on the telly. We’ve played a lot worse than that and won this season. Early goal for them defined the game.

My overriding takeaway is please god no more 3 at the back/Fornals as a wingback.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Yeah we should not be playing Fornals LWB.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:13 pm I'm surprised at the easy ride Pablo Fornals gets. Yes he's industrious, so maybe that's what people see, but not only was he caught napping for their early opener, he never really got to grips with things in midfield
Nobody in our shirt passed the ball better than Firnals last night.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

sendô wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:16 pm Yeah we should not be playing Fornals LWB.
It was fine against Wolves at home.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

The hayfield wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:32 pm The sooner Moyes realises that fornals shouldn't be mummying cresswell the better . Our best performance in months was when Aaron wasn't available Vs lyon . Hate to criticise him but it's the truth .
Well, its your version of 'the truth'. How about all of the games that Creswell has played where we won, he played a blinder, set up crucial goals etc. Our left hand side is the most, IMHO, productive and entertaining to watch and he plays a key part in that. I get frustrated when posters use terms such as 'truth' and 'fact' as, usually, they are anything but and rather a subjective view with little evidence to support it.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

He needs to add an actual end-product more regularly. Otherwise I don't see him being much more than a C'ship superstar or a wildcard off the bench.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Benrahma, of late, has shown signs of god like brilliance when coming on with 30 minutes or less left in a game.

He's been the complete opposite when starting a game, other then at the start of this season.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Benrahma's problem, IMHO, is that he is weak physically. He does not have the physique to compete with a more muscular opposition.