UELSF: West Ham Utd 1-2 Eintracht Frankfurt (28/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Eintracht Frankfurt: match thread

Post by brownout »

mushy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 am That's basically because we policed the ground ourselves through violence.
There was a period during the late 70's where for about three seasons (or more) I didn't see a single away supporter in the ground, including the likes of Chelsea.
Yes it did create a rather unique atmosphere but am not quite sure that's the right way of doing things.
It all changed after Forest brought a load down Who weren't made very welcome, after which West Ham finally caught up with other and had a proper designated away area.

Obviously we don't want to return to those days. And away fans add tot he atmosphere. But flags or clappy things - no thanks.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1916 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

SUPERant1960 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:59 am David Moyes said we should copy them and have designated dining areas a bit like palace.
With butlers serving goose from a silver salver.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Is this bouche amusing enough for ya?
SUPERant1960
Total likes: 1 like

Post by SUPERant1960 »

:smiler: yes sorry I meant singing area :winker: and my other point was we stopped wearing colours back in the 80s. More fans are wearing colours now but if we want to match the fans in Europe then we need to get the cheerleaders. Not our style but they make a lot of noise :crest:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:41 am I meant the incisiveness of his passes, not the accuracy of the 5 foot sideways jobs.
I would say that honour belongs to Declan Rice.

let's be honest. Fornals hasn't been at his brilliant best often enough recently. here and there (like most of the squad admittedly) but he's not been the most incisive player we've had.

I'll let Jack or his opp break it all down. I don't know how to. nor where to find the info.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

mushy wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 am That's basically because we policed the ground ourselves through violence.
There was a period during the late 70's where for about three seasons (or more) I didn't see a single away supporter in the ground, including the likes of Chelsea.
Yes it did create a rather unique atmosphere but am not quite sure that's the right way of doing things.

Maybe a case of my rose coloured specs giving a false impression...but I think not.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Morocco Mole wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:21 pm If you can watch those clips of Benrahma and still want him sold I’d argue you should be watching a different sport. That is football to me.

Yes he’s frustrating. Yes he makes wrong decisions. But he’s the bravest player on the pitch because he always try’s to change the game. That needs fine-tuning not binning off.

I’d build the team around him if it was up to me.
Post of the season :beer:.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'd rather Benrahma play the number 10 role than Lanzini.

Lanzini keeps possession better but he just doesn't look threatening for most of the game... and your number 10 should be threatening.

A 3 of Fornals, Lanzini, and Bowen doesn't work. The transition from defence to attack always seems too slow when its those 3. Too unadventurous.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:54 pm I would say that honour belongs to Declan Rice.

let's be honest. Fornals hasn't been at his brilliant best often enough recently. here and there (like most of the squad admittedly) but he's not been the most incisive player we've had.

I'll let Jack or his opp break it all down. I don't know how to. nor where to find the info.
Fornals will struggle to be at his best in that position.

He and Rice bring out the best in each other's passing.

Fornals rarely has the luxury of 'the safe pass'.

I think he's technically a better footballer than Rice, but that the captain is a better all-rounder.

We need to let Fornals play centrally.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

been my view for ages.

Rice and Tommy with Fornals in CM. he's good enough defensively and can spot a quick 1st time pass to open up the play for Bowen or Antonio. for all of Rice's pluses hitting a 1st time through ball isn't his forte imvho.

and nor is Tommy's.

trouble is we have the liability defensively that is Cresswell on the left and Benni doesn't do half as good a job as Fornals.

but he's wasted there, and as I posted in the match thread earlier

MR. MOYES. PLEASE DON'T PLAY FORNALS AT LWB AGAIN.