West Ham Utd 1-1 Burnley (17/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Burnley: match thread

Post by HammerAl »

Vlasic is very technical, nippy and strong, with a low centre of gravity. He’s got many attributes to play in the no.10 (his favoured and best position) and I hope Moyes gives him a run of games there.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Xg's

West Ham - 2.79
Burnley 1.88 (Including penalty).

https://understat.com/match/16697

More than enough to win that game. The last time we had an Xg that high was Norwich at home 2.89. (Won 2-0) and Watford away 2.84 (won 4-1). So 1 goal was a poor return. Obviously doesn't tell us much as we knew our finishing was a let down and Pope was class, but it does reiterate that we certainly didn't play badly.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:19 am ……….but it does reiterate that we certainly didn't play badly.
Agreed, but that’s why it feels like 2 points dropped rather than a point gained.
Of all our shots on target, only 12% converted to goals. Burnley’s percentage was 100%. Therein lies our problem, as it has been for sometime. I can only hope and pray the situation is rectified in the summer window.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

We're quick enough to moan, so thought I'd mention the stewards, and how good they were with my son.

They waved us through the accessible lane coming on to the island, and did the same getting in to the turnstiles. They saw us coming through, and the door at the end opened and a steward just told us to come through before we'd even scanned our tickets.

The steward at half time was a bit of a bellend though when we wanted to get out of the stadium to get the train. The crowds were huge, and my son was very anxious about going through them to get to the open exit, and refused to let us out a quieter exit. Thankfully, one of his colleagues came over to ask what was going on, and he let us out instead.

It's small things like that that really help on match day when you go with a child with additional needs, so well done to them.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:19 am Xg's

West Ham - 2.79
Burnley 1.88 (Including penalty).

https://understat.com/match/16697

More than enough to win that game. The last time we had an Xg that high was Norwich at home 2.89. (Won 2-0) and Watford away 2.84 (won 4-1). So 1 goal was a poor return. Obviously doesn't tell us much as we knew our finishing was a let down and Pope was class, but it does reiterate that we certainly didn't play badly.
Ours is more a reflection of the volume of chances/efforts, rather than the quality of them.

On quality, both sides had two opportunities that rated at 0.5 or higher, in other words the player is more likely to score than miss, IIUI correctly.

Theirs was the goal and the missed penalty, ours was the goal and the point where the ball broke to Benrahma when he'd appeared offside late in the game.

With every other effort on goal, the odds/probabilities favoured the defence/defenders and were against a goal being scored.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I'm guessing not, but does Xg include the disallowed goal? I know the whistle had gone but it was a soft foul. Why didn't the ref wait and refer to VAR after the phase of play?

DL, as a parent of a child with similar needs that is good to read.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

jastons wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:59 am I'm guessing not, but does Xg include the disallowed goal? I know the whistle had gone but it was a soft foul. Why didn't the ref wait and refer to VAR after the phase of play?

DL, as a parent of a child with similar needs that is good to read.
It wasn't a chance from an XG perspective because it was scored when the ball wasn't in play.
Technically wasn't even disallowed
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:56 am On quality, both sides had two opportunities that rated at 0.5 or higher, in other words the player is more likely to score than miss, IIUI correctly.
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/03/evolv ... -goals-xg/

This is another good article, where it gives the average likelihood of a chance being scored in the Premier League this season at an Xg of 0.12. They are using a different model using shot pressure and shot clarity also.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

As an aside, another positive of the game was Dawson building on his recent impressive distribution out from the back…

Basically was hitting long passes of all forms and finding players’ feet in stride…

Straight balls, diagonals, floated over the top, and completely driven on a rope. How long until people begin to see him as a ball-playing cb? - Long may it continue.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

NedN wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:11 pm As an aside, another positive of the game was Dawson building on his recent impressive distribution out from the back…

Basically was hitting long passes of all forms and finding players’ feet in stride…

Straight balls, diagonals, floated over the top, and completely driven on a rope. How long until people begin to see him as a ball-playing cb? - Long may it continue.
If he isn't HotY, he's most improved first-teamer. And that is after a decent enough season, last time around AND a player already in his 30s.

He and Antonio have thrown down a big old gauntlet to that trio of kids who show up on the bench, now and then.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Dawson’s my HOTY at the mo.

A sign of a good season is how many are in the running until the end.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:45 pm If he isn't HotY, he's most improved first-teamer. And that is after a decent enough season, last time around AND a player already in his 30s.

He and Antonio have thrown down a big old gauntlet to that trio of kids who show up on the bench, now and then.
Yep. If VVD or someone similar had played some of the balls Dawson did yesterday, they’d still be talking about it on MoTD. If one of the English defenders at a big side had played them they’d be talking about how important they could be to starting England’s attacks at the WC.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

To me, Vlasic seems too one paced (or rather too slow) while running and like Benrahma he spends too much time on the ball, have to think and make better decisions quicker. When Benrahma came on the attack immiedetly became sharper, quicker and more dangerous. This have been the case in almost every game. Sadly I don't think he's got what it takes in the PL, however I really hope I'm wrong.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I missed the game, but from the snippets I've read on here, The Match of the day highlights (I know, I know) and what Eggs Jnr's 1 and 2 have told me, even if Burnley had scored from the spot, it was a Pope masterclass that gave them the draw.

Is that a fair summation?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:13 pm I missed the game, but from the snippets I've read on here, The Match of the day highlights (I know, I know) and what Eggs Jnr's 1 and 2 have told me, even if Burnley had scored from the spot, it was a Pope masterclass that gave them the draw.

Is that a fair summation?
Pretty much, but Diop really should've scored with his header late on. That produced a smart save from Pope, but really, he still should've scored from there and all Antonio had to do was chip it over the advancing Pope. I'll put it this way, Harry Kane or Son Hueung Min would've done in that situation as much as I have myself for saying that
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:26 pm I'll put it this way, Harry Kane or Son Hueung Min would've done in that situation..
You could put in another way. A quarter of a billion quid would’ve done in that situation.

Like saying Buffon and Yashin would’ve done better on the corner.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:26 pm Pretty much, but Diop really should've scored with his header late on. That produced a smart save from Pope, but really, he still should've scored from there and all Antonio had to do was chip it over the advancing Pope. I'll put it this way, Harry Kane or Son Hueung Min would've done in that situation as much as I have myself for saying that
Still. As long as those mentioned have an absolutely blinding, Motm performance in a certain two legged semi-final, all will be forgiven.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:33 pm You could put in another way. A quarter of a billion quid would’ve done in that situation.

Like saying Buffon and Yashin would’ve done better on the corner.
Antonio isn't in that class admittedly, put those away but he just shot and hoped for the best, but I wonder if he really thought he would score when on one on one with Pope? His goals drought also had a bearing at that moment. Strikers in a rich vein of form put those away, whatever their price tag
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Just seen the West Ham Clips from the Burnley game. Is that not a foul from Cornet on Soucek? Hands all over him
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

A problem lately is with Mike I think that albatross of not scoring is weighing heavily.

Couple of times lately if not more, is he's gone for the shot instead of playing in a teammate better placed. The longer this goes on of course the worse it's going to get.

I hope one goes in off his arse soon, Sunday would great, and he can move on.

If Moyes sincerely believes he can't another CF better than Bowen let's go all out for another Fizzy Pop winger to play on the right.

You lads who watch those games could probably come up with a few names and I'm sure they'd be cheaper than Nunez who we really don't have a prayer of signing anyway.