West Ham Utd 1-1 Burnley (17/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Burnley: match thread

Post by sendô »

Just watched the MOTD highlights back.

We had more than enough chances to win, but a combination of two excellent saves from Pope, one cleared off of the line and poor finishing from us means we didn’t.

I thought Leon Osman’s piece on our laboured build up play was good. We are often too slow and cautious passing the ball, going sideways and backwards too much due to lack of movement.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 877 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

We’ve won games this season and last, where we’ve not played as well as yesterday. I was certainly not expecting a goal-fest, not against dour Burnley but I was expecting us to grind out a 1 goal win and after Tommy’s equaliser I was even more sure.
Unfortunately we ran into a keeper having one of those days. Pope had already made a top drawer save from Cresswell in the first half and topped it with Gordon Banks-esque save from Diop. I’m still not sure how that didn’t go in watching it again this morning. Even then Mike had a golden opportunity to seal it. Pope didn’t need to make a particularly good save in the end, just stand his ground which he did. Antonio is desperate for a goal, as we all are, but the longer his drought goes on the harder it’s going to be for him to put one over the line.
We are flogging him to death and all the hard work he puts in that has been vital in some of our wins is affecting him as a striker.
On another day we win that game 3-1. Burnley had 1 shot on target all game and we had 8. Shame with other results going our way but I still fancy us to go all the way in Europa League and still stay top 6 ⚒⚒⚒
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1521 likes

Post by NWhammer »

sendô wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:19 am Just watched the MOTD highlights back.

We had more than enough chances to win, but a combination of two excellent saves from Pope, one cleared off of the line and poor finishing from us means we didn’t.

I thought Leon Osman’s piece on our laboured build up play was good. We are often too slow and cautious passing the ball, going sideways and backwards too much due to lack of movement.
He was spot on Leon Osman.

MOTD seems to miss a fair bit out of highlights. Goal ruled out in first half, one angle of the Cornet penalty when it looked like a dive from where I was sat, Antonio’s 50p header which seemed impossible to miss.

Was looking forward to seeing them again.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Leon Osman also categorically stated there was contact for the penalty "No question about that." Before anyone on the show had expressed doubt *cough cough ahem*
Sadly they didn't show us a clear replay though.

I've blown up and slowed down the only replay angle I've seen, and if there was contact, it was Cornets heel stepping on Fab's shin - barely.
Slowed down it also looks as though he's ready to go over as soon as he nicks the ball.

Probably a blessing though, as if he'd done a Dembele (I reckon he was travelling faster, had travelled further, isn't as big and strong and was pulled longer and harder than Dembele) Johnson would certainly have been sent off.
Bit silly of Johnson to do that ten days after Cresswell really.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I thought we were looking pretty good up until the Westwood injury. Immediately after the restart they get a corner, we switch off and they score. We didn't look at it after that until well into the second half.
I still think we would have won without Pope having a world class game. He commanded the box and make some great saves.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 313 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Pope always seems to have a great game against us.

How the hell Pickford is England number 1 ahead of him, Pope is leagues above him.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:26 am 1 - Unfortunately we ran into a keeper having one of those days. ... ...
2 - Pope didn’t need to make a particularly good save in the end, just stand his ground which he did.
1. Iirc he had a blinder in the 0-0 draw at Turf Moor earlier in the season.

2. I think this illustrates Pope's strength - he doesn't act rashly, he doesn't make many errors.
That said, he made one on a corner yesterday, where he came near post but got nowhere near it. The goal, I think.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Centre Half wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:40 am Pope always seems to have a great game against us.

How the hell Pickford is England number 1 ahead of him, Pope is leagues above him.
Maybe distribution and comfort with the ball at his feet?
I haven't looked at that aspect of Pope's game, it's not part of Burnley's style.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Centre Half wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:40 am Pope always seems to have a great game against us.

Pickford can kick a ball straighter :chin:
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:47 am Maybe distribution and comfort with the ball at his feet?
I haven't looked at that aspect of Pope's game, it's not part of Burnley's style.
Pope’s distribution really is woeful and I have seen various Burnley games where his poor kicking has put them under pressure.

I would say that is his only downfall as he is fantastic in other aspects.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2404 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:34 am Leon Osman also categorically stated there was contact for the penalty "No question about that." Before anyone on the show had expressed doubt *cough cough ahem*
Sadly they didn't show us a clear replay though.

I've blown up and slowed down the only replay angle I've seen, and if there was contact, it was Cornets heel stepping on Fab's shin - barely.
Slowed down it also looks as though he's ready to go over as soon as he nicks the ball.

Probably a blessing though, as if he'd done a Dembele (I reckon he was travelling faster, had travelled further, isn't as big and strong and was pulled longer and harder than Dembele) Johnson would certainly have been sent off.
Bit silly of Johnson to do that ten days after Cresswell really.
If a keeper comes out and dives at the player and doest get the ball you almost guaranteed to get a penalty given regardless of contact. The attacking player is impeded whether there is contact or not.
I think goalies go to ground to easily in those situations and sometimes would be better coming out and narrowing the angle rather than going automatically for the lunge
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I believe Southgate considers Pickford's ball distribution is better. That is also an integral part of goalkeeping
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 4391 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Coops wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:38 am I thought we were looking pretty good up until the Westwood injury. Immediately after the restart they get a corner, we switch off and they score. We didn't look at it after that until well into the second half.
I still think we would have won without Pope having a world class game. He commanded the box and make some great saves.
I agree in the main, but they had clearly looked at how we set up zonally at corners and created a routine that took our lot by surprise, with the four man overload at the back post leaving ours with no one to mark or block before they made runs from behind- and they dropped the ball on Fabianski every time and he was far from assured. They had that properly sussed. Clever tactics.

We were trying to avoid delivering too many crosses into a packed area as well as it's meat and drink for them.
jastons
Has liked: 896 likes
Total likes: 852 likes

Post by jastons »

A question for those in the ground - did any or our players pass s ball around while Westwood was receiving treatment? The dodgy stream I watched showed some Burnley players with a ball.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Burnley
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136901
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Turgid.

However, I quite like Vlašić and I think he will come good. Unfortunately, the injury did him mentally and personally, I would have hooked him at HT.

We did have plenty of chances to put the game to bed and would have likely done so if it hadn't been for the magnificent Pope and if Antonio hadn't been so greedy. He squandered several chances where he could have laid it off but chose instead to stick it in Hackney Wick or over Bow Flyover. I appreciate we have no backup, but that needs to be our priority in the summer, as frankly, he is getting on my tits.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

jastons wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:16 am A question for those in the ground - did any or our players pass s ball around while Westwood was receiving treatment? The dodgy stream I watched showed some Burnley players with a ball.
2 or 3 did. The rest just kind of stood there, or was having a drink break.

I have to say at the time I was disappointed with that. I thought the moment we knew the game was going to stop for a few minutes the coaching staff should’ve encouraged the players to grab a ball and pass it to each other to keep them on their toes.
NWhammer
Has liked: 794 likes
Total likes: 1521 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Paul Tierney was poor for the time wasting yesterday.
Yodi
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by Yodi »

Should have won.

Thought Vlasic was possibly or best player prior to the injury. If it hadn't happened I think he would have had his best game for us and we would have comfortably won.

Two points lost that could cost us Europe. Almost certainly will cost 6th but possibly 7th
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Just as a matter of interest, how was Soucek's goal allowed to stand ? That was a clear handball. Surprised it wasn't ruled out