West Ham Utd 1-1 Burnley (17/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Burnley: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 pm Yeah but if tried to use it as carpet, Dulux wouldnt be giving you your money back.
We ain't getting our money back, and if we hold on too long, we'll end up subsidising the return as well.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:19 pm We ain't getting our money back, and if we hold on too long, we'll end up subsidising the return as well.
Don't think we're gonna get our money back anyway, and now it becomes an issue for recruits. Doesn't look great to have a player misused then instantly sold.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:21 pm Don't think we're gonna get our money back anyway, and now it becomes an issue for recruits. Doesn't look great to have a player misused then instantly sold.
Spurs have sacked off Le Celso, Gil and Ndombele double quick. It happens.

Dithering and delaying ends up decaying.

I'm a poet and i don't know it.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:24 pm Sign a player who got his reputation, convinced you to sign him, playing as a 10.

Play him out wide.

Be annoyed?
Love Lanzini but against teams like that why on Earth is he so deep? Play between the lines and drive at their centre halves.

I enjoyed the game today but the chances we missed were so frustrating.

There’s a player in vlasic but as a 10 not as a bloody winger.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

So, Vlasic as a 10 playing off Antonio and Benny starting out wide instead of Lanzini in the middle? Burnley had only scored 25 in the league before today, did we really need three deep midfielders today?
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

S-H wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:33 pm I genuinely think Moyes saw Vlasic as his left-sided Bowen, he has all the physical attributes, that has seen Bowen excel on the right.

I'm still holding out hope that we'll see the best of him next season, but sadly I fear that Moyes may have already made his mind up, and will look to move him on this summer.
Then where is the width coming from?

Cresswell doesn’t make the overlapping run. Johnson, how is a RB better at playing LB than he is at playing RB? We missed Coufal today
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

NWhammer wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:26 pm Love Lanzini but against teams like that why on Earth is he so deep? Play between the lines and drive at their centre halves.

I enjoyed the game today but the chances we missed were so frustrating.

There’s a player in vlasic but as a 10 not as a bloody winger.
Agreed, the wrong sub was made. Benrahma shouldve come on for Lanzini with Vlasic going central.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Problem is we didnt play well in midfield until Lanzini went in. Soucek was frustrating but had to be in cos of the dirty, ugly stuff. And cos a cross can unlock a defence, as we saw.

I'd have still taken Manu off earlier, I think. My temptation was to take off Diop or Johnson and either use fornals as a full back or put Rice at centre back so he could push on and join the midfield and give us that extra man.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Lanzini delivered the cross for the goal - should have subbed him earlier to prevent that happening, might have held on to our defeat.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Disappointing performance after Thursday. Burnley did very well. Big thanks to Cornet monkeying around with his penalty, meant we didn't lose all three points.

Thru' on goal and only the keeper to beat had Antonio shooting straight at Pope. An off-streak or is he regressing to the mean? My guess is the latter. But without a single back-up striker in the squad that Moyes trusts we're left with someone running his socks off and sweating blood for the team . . . and not being able to finish. Not Mike's fault - he's doing his best but his best isn't putting the ball in the back of the net since New Years Day. At least he worked the keeper a couple of times today. Again, not Antonio's fault but the way Moyes sets us up we need our number 9 to be Didier Drogba or Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Big ask.

Johnson was all over the place today. Not in a good way. Worst game since Man U at OT last season. Put in two good crosses but so far doesn't demonstrate the skill, confidence or desire to push forward the way the team needs. Both Coufal and Fredericks show a lot more going forward. He had repeated chances to put in decent crosses and most of the time he couldn't beat his marker or the first man.

Right place right time for Soucek. Amazed it didn't go to VAR - thought it went in off his shoulder or shirt sleeve.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Really not getting the Vlasic hate.

Ok the injury effected him no doubt but prior to that he was the real threat both with the ball and passing it. Had Rice made the run that he did late on with Vlasic wide left I doubt he would have been either not seen or ignored as he was by Benrahma and Rice attacking the box at pace would have been a greater threat than Benrahma meandering infield to little or no purpose.

For me that was one of our best attacking situations, given we had players central and their defence was on the back foot, totally wasted.

All this suggestion he is a left sided Bowen is another strange one for me. His game has never been “goal heavy” in the way Bowen was at Championship level and now PL. Vlasic can carry the ball but he is far more about bringing others into the game Lanzini style than a Bowen. Left sided Bowen might well be Cornet from todays game.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

-DL- wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:33 pm Well that was a wanky day. Lost my clear specs somewhere between the train and the ground out of my hoody pocket, then at half time my little 'un started playing up and wanted to go home, so we did. He then dropped his phone on the way to the station and ****ed it good and proper.

So a wasted train fare, the cost of replacement specs, new phone screen, as well as doing 40 quid on drinks and snacks for the hollow legged little *****, that was a ****ing expensive half of football.

And I didn't even get to cheer a goal.
Kids - Don’t ya just love ‘em ? 😂
Last edited by Believer on Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 pm Yeah but if tried to use it as carpet, Dulux wouldnt be giving you your money back.
Vlasic is more like a vat of Stilton than a tin of Dulux. We are only going to see the finished product after a satisfactory amount of time.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

JonG86 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:00 pmAnother day we bury two of the chances we had and ease to victory. **** happens.

On the plus side, Diop has now strung two good games together!
This is where the top sides (plus Spurs) learn to 'earn' late penalties or free-kicks around the box.

I also thought Diop had a good game. Hopefully he'll grow in confidence.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I couldn't go today because of family arrangements so I've only seen MOTD 10 minute highlights. I expected us to lose today and really struggle after the massive high of Thursday, so I'm a bit puzzled at the negative comments from so many people. Playing a bread and butter game so soon after can't be easy mentally and a point is one more than I expected.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:23 pm Unfortunately it was just one of those games. Burnley are very, very poor. We dominated first 25 mins and then injury/delay effected us more than them.

Fabianski should have taken control of head ball tennis but, as he often does, flapped around.

Lucky with the penalty, but dozed off.

2nd half should/could have scored 3 or 4. Pope and Antonio kept the scores level.

Overall, I thought Dawson, Diop, Rice and Lanzini excellent. Antonio went from hero to zero in 4 days. Johnson (IMO) was awful. Im sorry, I know many rate him, but not for me. Plays better on left than right side but we should look to replace as he is not going to make it.

Thought Vlasic looked good and linked ip play very well.

As I say, just one of those days.
Vlasic “looked good” and Ben Johnson “is not going to make it”.

Literally speechless. :eh:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Vlasic did look sharp before the injury incident and I wonder if we have a Haller situation here. Definitely a good player before he joined, playing link up football in and around the box. He tries it with us but it seems our style doesn't suit it. Hopefully with more transfers in next season and some quicker, passing football, maybe we'll see a different player? For example I'd like to see him play with Lingard.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Just catching up, is Vlasic matte or gloss, and should I be watching him dry?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

S-H wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 am Just catching up, is Vlasic matte or gloss, and should I be watching him dry?
The wife said he needs rubbing down and touching up in places.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Thought Vlasic done OK, good on the ball you can see he has a lot of ability, maybe he just needs to start a number of games, rather than in and out every other week? Has he started 3 games in a row so far? Doubt it. It's always a 3 way battle for that left side, one game Fornals, Next Benhrama, then occasionally Vlasic gets to try it. Soucek has had a disappointing season by his standards, but still had a good goalscoring record for his type of midfielder, he has this great knack of scoring important goals doesn't he.