Chelsea 1-0 West Ham Utd (24/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Re: ⚽ Chelsea v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by OFT »

sendô wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:12 pm That PL tweet is absolutely shocking, but at the same time not at all surprising.

In fact West Ham played the perfect game for them - stubborn resistance all match and then an action packed finish in which we did the right thing and lost.
Not a hit of subtlety from them, Shameful.
If there is no big club bias the bastads are doing their utmost to create the illusion of it.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Can a straight red be appealed to be a yellow?

I genuinely don’t think Dawson was the last man and VAR was wrong to make Oliver look at the call.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Proud of the commitment today, bodes well for Thursday
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

WCpete wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:07 pm Can a straight red be appealed to be a yellow?

I genuinely don’t think Dawson was the last man and VAR was wrong to make Oliver look at the call.
Dawson was 100% last man, no other defender is stopping Lukaku getting his shot off. The only question would be should it have been a free kick rather than a penalty.
Last edited by stu1 on Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helic0n
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by helic0n »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:42 pm I thought Yarmelenko did exceptionally well up top and Fornals, Dawson, Johnson pick of the rest. Unless I chose to be an utter dick I wouldn't criticise any if our team for that performance.
Agree on Yarmolenko. He was caught offside a few times, but he made so many good runs across and between the defenders. There were a couple in the 2nd half where Fornals should've played him in on goal, but he passed it sideways instead. Very frustrating.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Oldun wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:03 pm Just watched the penalty incident again and Lukaku never even touched the ball ,never had control of it and cresswell was alongside him with Fabianski coming out to meet him.
And from what was shown on my screen, VAR just showed a still frame to Oliver?
What is the clear and obvious error he has seen that he didn't see in real time?

At least we'll get the last laugh when Arsenal thrash our defenderless side next week and move closer to going above Chelsea, right?
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:07 pm A good effort but let's be honest, Chelsea deserved to win.
Deserved to win?
Because they spent loads more on their squad?

Can we do an Arsenal now, and get the next match postponed until we have some defenders back fit?
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

helic0n wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:36 pm Agree on Yarmolenko. He was caught offside a few times, but he made so many good runs across and between the defenders. There were a couple in the 2nd half where Fornals should've played him in on goal, but he passed it sideways instead. Very frustrating.
Agreed, I also thought Yarmo got in good positions but never got the pass. We are just too slow in our build ups a lot of the time. Our midfield once again sat deep allowing them to dominate. It was a great effort though by the team all things considered and deserved a point but they've got to sort out the diving bllx in and around the box. A big beast like Lukaku goes down after a little brush on his arm to get a MoM hero sent off is criminal and just plain cheating again. Where was his wink?
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:53 am Deserved to win?
Because they spent loads more on their squad?
Yes
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I saw the team sheet and thought fair play, Moyes going all in for the cup, not a problem with that one little bit. I expected a 2 - 3 nil beating, but Chelsea were feckin awful, and we were very solid in defence, but didn't offer that much going forward, and when we did have a chance we were quite wasteful.

I thought the ball went out of play in the passage of play leading up to the goal, but wasn't looked at weirdly..

Harsh sending off, but no problem in regards to the pen, all be it the fat Belgium "sort of" bought it, thems the breaks I guess.

Expected nothing, got nothing, gutted for the players that put a shift in, they arguable deserved a draw. We have bigger things on our plate, team sheet reflected that so onwards to Thursday, the main match of the week.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’ve had messages from Chelsea fans admitting they got lucky.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Respect to the seemingly thousand of Chelsea fans who turned up disguised as blue seats yesterday
Nice touch
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Problem with yarmo is he trys to many step overs and back heels that don't come off and he don't pass when he shouid and his lazy, he scores the odd great goal but since his injury a couple of years ago he ain't been the same, loved him when he first came here but his not what he was. And as I said before on this thread can't believe how downhill soucek going something ain't right there can't remember the last time his had a good game ( must be tiredness ) any way onwards and upwards :scarfer:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The decline of the Roman Empire is a joy to behold.

A clearly second string West Ham United were unlucky not to get a point away at the Bridge, with the makeshift defence giving a good account of themselves,

Of course there is every chance that had we started with our first XI yesterday we would have walked away from there with all 3 points, but I've no issue with the Manager prioritising silverware.

A couple of good wins away from a trophy. It was a gamble worth taking.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Billy Bonds boots wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 am Problem with yarmo is he trys to many step overs and back heels that don't come off and he don't pass when he shouid and his lazy, he scores the odd great goal but since his injury a couple of years ago he ain't been the same, loved him when he first came here but his not what he was. And as I said before on this thread can't believe how downhill soucek going something ain't right there can't remember the last time his had a good game ( must be tiredness ) any way onwards and upwards :scarfer:
Soucek was excellent in Lyon, think he’s one of a few who are now focussed on Europa.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

its a shame the lukaku attempt was stopped by dawson/ref as tbh, on current form there was no guarantee he would score.
I'm annoyed that after the pen we weren't more professional in keeping the ball up the other end.
this match confirmed again what i knew already, that as much as benrahma and yarmolenko can do nice touches, they aren't good enough and don't give us enough to turn a match off the bench often enough.
i think the choice to rest players was correct but had we played a full strength team we'd have won.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Rather telling that MOTD’s post match analysis was how well Dawson played yesterday. I was out all day yesterday so have only seen highlights but it was another penalty ‘bought’ by the attacker and yes, Dawson fell for it so grudgingly, it was a penalty. It was not a red though in my eyes and that was another misuse of VAR. Not convinced that Lukaku was getting to the loose ball before Fabianski and with Cresswell level with Dawson, he wasn’t the last man standing.
Who knows if it would have made a difference but that’s another harsh result on us.

Now let’s go and thump Frankfurt ⚒
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

We only conceded after Declan Rice replaced Mark Noble.

The obvious conclusion from that is that Chelsea should forget about signing Declan during the summer and instead focus on snapping up an out of contract Mark Noble.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

pbenjy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:59 am We only conceded after Declan Rice replaced Mark Noble.

The obvious conclusion from that is that Chelsea should forget about signing Declan during the summer and instead focus on snapping up an out of contract Mark Noble.
Jorginho should be Noble's first applicant to the penalty taking academy
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:19 pm They had 26 shots to our 6. I’m a bit cheesed off with the red but let’s not pretend they wasn’t the better team.
26 shots, how many on target?

Their “xG”, which is the latest flavour all casual football fans love, was just above 2 and that’s inclusive of a penalty which should have been a free kick. Strip that away and the XG is pretty similar.

Chelsea created absolutely nothing barring a 5 minute spell early in the second half where they got lively. I think Kante had their most shots - what does that tell you?

We created very little but we were always going to with Yarmolenko occupying three defenders. It was a draw all day and they got lucky.