Chelsea 1-0 West Ham Utd (24/4/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Re: ⚽ Chelsea v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

last.caress wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:00 pm At least the result went the way the Premier League wanted. So that was nice. :newthumb:

Here's one from them celebrating JWP draggin Saints to a draw - https://twitter.com/premierleague/statu ... 9699441664
Or Burnley getting a crucial point - https://twitter.com/premierleague/statu ... 4945292293

Seems different admins/editors on that account have different approaches. If you search for different games you'll find sometimes it's just "Team X picks up 3 points" and sometimes it's a bit of a celebration aimed at one set of fans.

Not really sure it's much to be getting worried about.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Indeed, and whoever runs the Twitter account for the Europa League, seems to have a soft spot for the mighty Hammers.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:19 pm They had 26 shots to our 6. I’m a bit cheesed off with the red but let’s not pretend they wasn’t the better team.
And let's not pretend Chelsea were anything other then utter gash yesterday. I've never quite understood what this 'better team' stuff is based on anyway.
Possession? No, it means nothing.
Shots? Not if the shots tend to be flying into empty row XX
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I think they should get the Dulux team involved! :D

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just watched the highlights of the game, was a clear penalty IMHO but very harsh sending off

We should have seen out the game once they had missed it

Having ability to make five subs would have helped in that situation
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am We should have seen out the game once they had missed [the penalty]
We have had a few games now we "should have seen out". It's something we really need to do better. Being massive is not enough on its own...
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

One thing that is clear, we have an issue with concentration. Another goal conceded and point lost in injury time. If you add all these up it feels like we'd be about half a dozen points better off. Feels quite an odd thing to keep happening given Moyes has made us one of the most organized west ham teams i've ever seen. In terms of the game I thought we nulified Chelsea to the point of them looking very mediocre. Apart from the last 5 mins was one of our most professional performances of the season.
Danny's Dyer Acting

Mr_incredible wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:09 am One thing that is clear, we have an issue with concentration. Another goal conceded and point lost in injury time. If you add all these up it feels like we'd be about half a dozen points better off. Feels quite an odd thing to keep happening given Moyes has made us one of the most organized west ham teams i've ever seen. In terms of the game I thought we nulified Chelsea to the point of them looking very mediocre. Apart from the last 5 mins was one of our most professional performances of the season.
The counter to those moments you're thinking of is that we've picked up plenty of points in the closing minutes of games this season.

This lets you take a look at how the table would look if only certain portions of games counted - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier ... ime_end=AB. Looks like the bigger issue is slow starts, we're solildy mid table by half time and then jump up to 5th in the 2nd half of games.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

maybe but it shouldnt be either/or. We need to do both. Win games and see games out
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I was at the game yesterday. Haven’t watched it back but was a pretty dire game. 0-0 would have been fair, but they did have better chances and carved the only clear cut chance of the game.

We’ve conceded quite a few last minute goals this season which isn’t a nice feeling at all.

Dawson getting a standing ovation when walking off after the red was probably the highlight.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Thought we were in fine voice yesterday, absolutely ruined them from start to finish.

Despite the loss, I walked away from the ground feeling immensely proud of the performance .. on and off the field.

A loathsome football club whose fan base conveniently forget what they were before the corrupt, dirty money changed their fortunes as well as the football landscape across the globe. Still as long as you win trophies its doesnt really matter how many lives or regions have been destroyed.

Lovely to see Alsono getting that amount of stick. 

It was a red but not a penalty, didn't change the outcome I guess. Very naive with the goal as we had 2 x players in their half tentatively pressing Mendy, should have just dropped deeper. Bat **** crazy with 10 men and no centre backs.

Yesterday showed the difference between us as a species, I actually felt sorry for them to a degree, imagine as fans being so detached from reality and the essence of what supporting your club means. Going loopy after being quiet for 89 mins beating our reserve team whose starting 11 cost less than Lukaku, whilst the subs they brought on were over £200ml. Balance and all that. 
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am Just watched the highlights of the game, was a clear penalty IMHO but very harsh sending off

We should have seen out the game once they had missed it

Having ability to make five subs would have helped in that situation
Dawson stopped grabbing him as soon as he saw the penalty box line, it's pretty clear on MOTD, although their arms are still tangled and Lukaku makes the most of it when he sees he isn't getting the ball. So you could argue it's actually the other way round. Not a penalty but possibly a denial of a goal-scoring opportunity.
Last edited by Irrons on Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Does Thiago Silva get sent off at the other end and do we get a penalty if he did it to Bowen?

That’s the question for all this stuff.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:05 am Does Thiago Silva get sent off at the other end and do we get a penalty if he did it to Bowen?

That’s the question for all this stuff.
Pen yes, red card... I very much doubt it. It was a pen, but with the double jeopardy rule, I find it very hard to see how it was a red. Lukaku went down easily and the keeper pretty much had the ball in his hands. Absolutely no need for VAR to get involved in that one, the ref actually got it right in my opinion. Pen and a yellow.

It was the red card that essentially decided the game, no way Chelsea get that winner if Dawson is still in the middle for us.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Irrons wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:02 am Dawson stopped grabbing him as soon as he saw the penalty box line, it's pretty clear on MOTD, although their arms are still tangled and Lukaku makes the most of it when he sees he isn't getting the ball. So you could argue it's actually the other way round. Not a penalty but possibly a denial of a goal-scoring opportunity.
Lukaku has his foot on the white line of the penalty box as he starts to go down (no doubt VAR would have shown that his toe was inside the box), and Dawson is still in contact with him so it is a pen for me. No issue with that.

The red seems harsh considering how close Fabianski is to the ball once Lukaku gets into the box. Yes it is a goal scoring opportunity, but so are most cases when a striker is fouled in the box. No consistency again.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

sutts07 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:23 am Lukaku has his foot on the white line of the penalty box as he starts to go down (no doubt VAR would have shown that his toe was inside the box), and Dawson is still in contact with him so it is a pen for me. No issue with that.

Doesn't matter where Lukakus toe was does it? Surely the rule states that the foul is given where the first offence takes place? Or has the rule changed?
Otherwise players who get fouled outside the box will just do a massive Swan Lake and end up rolling into the penalty box
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

If the ref gave a free kick and a yellow for Thiago Silva doing it to Bowen would we have felt that aggrieved?
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

mushy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:38 am Doesn't matter where Lukakus toe was does it? Surely the rule states that the foul is given where the first offence takes place? Or has the rule changed?
Otherwise players who get fouled outside the box will just do a massive Swan Lake and end up rolling into the penalty box
Have you seen Salah play? Jokes aside, that is exactly what a lot of top level strikers do.

If the foul is 'ongoing' as the player enters the box (which I am suggesting that this one was because Dawson was still holding him at that point), then it is a pen. Call it clever, sneaky or cheating... many do it.
King1968
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by King1968 »

Thought Arthur had a really good game yesterday, not a popular opinion but I would keep him as a squad player he gives us a threat going forward with his pace and I thought he was very good on the ball yesterday, we need a bigger squad next year as our small squad was never going to cope with injuries.
Danny's Dyer Acting

mushy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:38 am Doesn't matter where Lukakus toe was does it? Surely the rule states that the foul is given where the first offence takes place? Or has the rule changed?
Same thing happened against Southampton earlier in the season.

If the foul happens outside the box and then the player goes down inside then it's a free kick where the foul happened (e.g. a shove in the back outside the area and then the player goes down once they are in the box).

If the foul starts outside but continues into the box then it's a penalty (e.g. starting to pull someone's arm outside the area and then dragging them down by the arm once you're inside the box)

I think that's right. I'm too busy thinking about Thursday night to look it up :scarfer: