Isle of Man TT

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Isle of Man TT

Post by -DL- »

It'd never happen though, as there are too many places on the course where an F1 car would simply get smashed up - like the hump-back bridge by the pub where that rider lost his life when he hit the wall, the trip down the hill that's really steep and it suddenly levels out - the nose cone would be shredded.

It probably wouldn't get around 1/4 of a lap before it would simply be unable to carry on because of damage to the nose and floor.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Oh I agree, it'll never happen nor could it but it's fun theorising.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Cor, not half. The sight of an F1 car going 200mph and more (may as well go the whole hog and have one from the V10 era, on account of the noise!) down public suburban roads, and rural roads with a fag paper between the sides of the car and dry stone walls on each side would be pretty insane, wouldn't it? :grin:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

The bumps and elevation changes would totally f*** the F1 car over. You think Lewis' car porpoises now? On the TT course it would be like Zebedee on amphetamines riding a pigo stick on a trampoline!

An alternative might be a Pikes Peak special? Not a modern one since they resurfaced it but one set up for dirt roads from late 2000's.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:04 pm This is just terrible

Father and son Roger and Bradley Stockton have been killed in a crash during racing at the Isle of Man TT, organisers have confirmed.

The pair from Crewe both died as the result of the incident at Ago's Leap during the second lap of the second sidecar race on Friday.

Passenger Bradley, 21, was a newcomer to the event, while his father Roger, 56, last competed at the TT in 2017.

Five riders have now died at this year's event.

In a statement, organisers said it was "with a deep sense of sorrow" that they could confirm both racers were "killed in an incident on the second and final lap of the second sidecar race".

Truly awful
Awful.

Won't be long until this event is a thing of the past.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

S-H wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:38 am Awful.

Won't be long until this event is a thing of the past.
I hope not.
I'm sure everybody is fully aware of the risks involved.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

alf git wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 am :kumb:

I hope not.
I hope not too.

You are right of course, but the world is so health and safety mad nowadays, it just feels inevitable.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

S-H wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:38 am Won't be long until this event is a thing of the past.
It already is a thing of the past - it's from an era when death in motorsport was an all to common accepted risk. I'm pretty sure that if F1 was still made up of aluminium and highly flammable magnesium alloy cars with fuel tanks that exploded on impact that people would still compete in it, knowing the risks - but that doesn't make it acceptable though.

It's not about health and safety going mad, when 5 people this year have died - it's about placing a value on the life of the competitors, in an event where the bikes have become too fast.

It really should be binned off, in my humble opinion - but it won't be, as the Isle of Man administration doesn't want to lose the £47 million of revenue it brings to the island.

The FIM stopped sanctioning the event back in '76 due to safety concerns, so it's not a new thing - yet it carries on and people die on a yearly basis - and the mantra of the 'they know the risks' doesn't really cut it in my humble opinion. It's a bygone event from a bygone day where death was accepted - and I'd like to think we've moved on from that.

Of course, people die in motorsport still - there is always that risk, but the IOMTT are a different level and something needs to give.
alf git

Post by alf git »

Riding a bike is dangerous.
There's a reason bikers are called organ donors by some in the NHS.
Statistically* it's probably more dangerous for someone like me to go down the shops than it is for a professional racer to do the TT.

*I don't have any evidence for this.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

alf git wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 am I hope not.
As experienced race riders they may be, but that's hardly the point. Yes, 5 riders dead this year, but as I posted on page 1:

As the Irish Times article says, "Examination of the death toll during the TT races since 1991 shows that the number of casualties among racers is a small percentage of the total. The majority of injuries and deaths are among the visitors who ride high-powered motorcycles while trying to emulate their racing heroes.

During the Sunday of race week, visitors to the island get a chance to ride the race circuit because the roads are open to the public for the whole day. This has become known as "Mad Sunday" because of the thousands of bikers who push themselves and their bikes to the limit on the circuit".

There's a big death and serious injury toll that they don't record as being connected with the TT races despite those accidents occurring because of arcane rules connected with the TT events. In fact, I can't find any figures for total fatalities and injuries across the race week - seems people connected with the TT are very shy about publicising the true cost to human life.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

So, a questin for all you do-gooding nanny staters :winker: out there: who should ban the TT? The Isle of Man is not part of the UK, it is a self-governing British Crown Dependency - with its own parliament, government and laws. There is no national speed limit and you can drive from the age of 16 over there. It is up to them to decide whether or not they want to ban it.
The riders do it because it is the ultimate challenge. They know the risks better than you or I do, they accept and even welcome them and they do it anyway. It's not as if it was part of a championship that they had to do over the course of the year. They are free to do it or not and there is no penalty for not doing it.
It is symptomatic of the modern mindset that the reaction of people whom it does not materially affect one iota is "I don't like it, so it must be banned". It reminds me of the anti-abortion brigade, although their interference with another person's choice is "understandable" in a way, as they believe babies are being murdered.
Anyone who gets on a motorbike of any description, for any reason knows that they are increasing considerably the risk of an early death or life-changing injury. The TT racers are just pushing that to the limit and some run out of luck/talent doing what they love.

Over 500 people died of alcohol poisoning in the UK in 2020. Alcohol should therefore be banned if we are going to be logical.
(only 36 deaths from cannabis in the same period!)
alf git

Post by alf git »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:21 pm
Anyone who gets on a motorbike of any description, for any reason knows that they are increasing considerably the risk of an early death or life-changing injury. The TT racers are just pushing that to the limit and some run out of luck/talent doing what they love.

Over 500 people died of alcohol poisoning in the UK in 2020. Alcohol should therefore be banned if we are going to be logical.
(only 36 deaths from cannabis in the same period!)
Exactly this.
No one has ever got on a bike without being aware of the potential danger you are in every time you pull off the drive.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

There is no way the House of Keys would stop the TT, aside from the sporting spectacle, it brings in millions of pounds to the island’s coffers. The population of the island doubles for the two weeks - practice and race weeks. There are so many Europeans there that they put up temporary road signs in about 4 different languages.

In the 30 years that I have been with the lovely missus jaye, who is Manx, I’ve not been there for race week but have been around for practice week, Mad Sunday, the Manx Grand Prix and Southern 100 races. Even in those races, the conditions are similar - and the racing is exhilarating even for a non-biker like me.

Being about 20 feet away from bikes travelling around a bend at high speed and then having to correct their line as they go over a slightly proud manhole cover, was quite nervy, as was coming over the crest of a hill on Mad Sunday to see 3 Swedish bikers haring towards us on the same side of the road!
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

The first of this year's deaths on the course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/65821035
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Trying to have one big Motocycle thread here, DL :winker:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Peter Hickman 136.3mph average speed on a stock bike!!! Absolutely incredible
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Been catching up on the TT. Hickman has been in another class the second part of the week, and that lap on the stock bike....... :shocker:

Shout also for Dean Harrison, 2nd in the Senior with a bike that was 10mph slower through the speed trap, carried some incredible corner speed and must have every apex bank on.