Isle of Man TT

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

LittleChris
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Isle of Man TT

Post by LittleChris »

For the first time , live coverage will be available ( though I imagine there will be a 30 second delay for obvious reasons ) . £14.99 to stream all the practice and races over 2 weeks. Well worth it. Loads of other stuff for free ( The Glenn Irwin interview is excellent). Get away from your Lewis/ Max / Charles boring bollox and super safe Moto GP and see the real warriors !! :grin:

https://ttplus.iomttraces.com/browse

I went in 2018 and it was one of the best days of my life,
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Re: Isle of Man TT

Post by pablo jaye »

Missus jaye is Manx and was born during TT, so her parents had fun getting to the hospital with all the roads closed.

I’m not into bikes and have never been to see the TT. The island’s population doubles for the races and it is an arse getting round.

However I have seen the Manx Grand Prix and The Southern 100 - both races on normal roads, and it is quite exhilarating as a spectator sport - the close proximity of the bikes, the speed and skill of the riders as they lean over taking the racing line. I can see why it appeals.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

The Dakar and the Isle of Man TT are the most dangerous races I know of.

I can't understand how someone is able to ride as fast as they do.
Mental.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

On board Peter Hickman's last (and winning) lap in the 2018 Senior TT with rider commentary. Dive in anywhere to see the very definition of insanity. My favourite bit of commentary: "We're catching the helicopter".

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

They’re not like the rest of us, those Manx TT riders. Born different, missing something. Fear, for instance, or much of a sense of self-preservation.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I love this one.

Johnny Byrne's Boots

There's a video which I won't link where a rider hits a roadside pub at well over a hundred, sadly fatally. That's what happens when you have walls and buildings instead of run off areas. I have total respect for the riders but I do question their sanity.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

That was Bob Price in 2014. Horrendous. Poor bugger must have known what was coming too, as the slow-mos show him crouching to try and soften the blow. Though quite how you soften the blow of going head first in to a solid wall at a ton, I've no idea.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Seems most years there are 2 or 3 deaths. It's a throwback to old school motor sport of the 70's, an acceptance that doing what you love may kill you. Mad and brave in equal measure.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:41 am Seems most years there are 2 or 3 deaths. It's a throwback to old school motor sport of the 70's, an acceptance that doing what you love may kill you. Mad and brave in equal measure.
Arguably it's a lot worse than that, Bendy:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/isle ... s-1.159784

As the article says, "Examination of the death toll during the TT races since 1991 shows that the number of casualties among racers is a small percentage of the total. The majority of injuries and deaths are among the visitors who ride high-powered motorcycles while trying to emulate their racing heroes.

During the Sunday of race week, visitors to the island get a chance to ride the race circuit because the roads are open to the public for the whole day. This has become known as "Mad Sunday" because of the thousands of bikers who push themselves and their bikes to the limit on the circuit".

That's the death toll that they don't record as connected with the TT races.

I was on the island a few years ago the week after the races. The place was a weird ghost town after a week of madness. Also lots of people can't afford to ship their bikes home after the week so you had the surreal sight of WH Smith's and other high street shops selling second hand motor bikes.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Three riders dead so far in this year's jamboree. That's actual race riders, as opposed to visitors which I referred to in the above post. Am struggling to find that tally this time around - doubt it's something many on the island would be too keen to publicise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/61707826
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

You have to question, in an era where safety in sports like F1 is incredible, if the TT is a too much of a throwback to the past.

I know it is riders free choice, but this sort of death toll for sport is not very comfortable.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Always found this event fascinating, it's a mindset I just can't understand.

Anyway like the video above here's a Subaru Impreza doing a lap with an av. speed of 128mph and commentary, absolutely unreal. Heart rate, bpm, the lot!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Impressive, then you look up the bike lap record to see it's 135mph :shock:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

It is the riders free choice to do something that they absolutely love. Nobodys there for the money. It is one of the Worlds great sporting spectacles and the fact that it is still going is a testament to the riders love for the place and the races themselves.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

This is just terrible

Father and son Roger and Bradley Stockton have been killed in a crash during racing at the Isle of Man TT, organisers have confirmed.

The pair from Crewe both died as the result of the incident at Ago's Leap during the second lap of the second sidecar race on Friday.

Passenger Bradley, 21, was a newcomer to the event, while his father Roger, 56, last competed at the TT in 2017.

Five riders have now died at this year's event.

In a statement, organisers said it was "with a deep sense of sorrow" that they could confirm both racers were "killed in an incident on the second and final lap of the second sidecar race".

Truly awful
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:56 pm Impressive, then you look up the bike lap record to see it's 135mph :shock:
I'd be curious to see what an F1 car would do it in. Hamilton's Merc from 2020 - the fastest F1 car ever. Would never happen though.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Gearing it would be interesting. The Senior class hit well over 200mph coming off the mountain, about the same as an F1 car at the end of a long straight, but I suspect on the TT course thanks to downforce the car would be flat out in top for three quarters of the lap, so would need higher gearing. Who knows what speed they could reach Image

As you say, interesting.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

I think it would be more of a case of a Monza/Silverstone style set-up and using DRS (which incidentally, the Scooby in the video had a form of) - so you wouldn't really need to adjust the gearing, when they're more than capable of 200mph plus on lower downforce circuits. They're going over 200mph at this weekends Baku GP.

I'm sure I read an article somewhere that the theoretical max speed on an F1 car in race spec is 'only' around 220mph due to the drag - but where it would eat a bike, no matter the top speed, would be in the corners, even in a lower downforce set-up.

It's achilleas heel though, would be sacrificing some downforce with a higher ride height, as there's places on the TT circuit that where the bottoming out would be too much.

I do suspect the ultimate lap time and speed would be higher than a bike though - when you think a Scooby done it with just a 7mph deficit with a top speed of 170 and nowhere near the cornering ability and acceleration of an F1 car - not to mention the ridiculous stopping power of an F1 car too. I'd even stick my neck out and say even a Williams would go quicker than a bike around it.

So who is going to pen the letter to Toto? :grin:

EDIT: Just seen a YouTube video of Guy Martin v Coulthard around Silverstone done in 2019. Martin was on a BMW Superbike, and Coulthard was in a previous generation Red Bull V8 (2012/3 I think) with no DRS and had lapped Martin by the end of the third lap. over 40mph difference through the corners :shock:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

I was thinking that an F1 car being able to reach 200 plus during a race, if geared correctly could do much more on the Isle of Man. Coming off the mountain, downhill on pretty straight roads and, as you mention, reduced downforce (and hence reduced drag) 250mph has to be on the cards.

I saw an F1 vs road superbike vs powerboat demonstration in docklands a while back. The road bike blitzed the F1 off the line and continued to out accelerate it all the eay to the first corner. Then it was game over. The F1 car was still on the power as the bike's rear wheel was off the ground under braking :shock:
The powerboat was nowhere.