Eurovision 2022

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Eurovision 2022

Post by Up the Junction »

The 66th Eurovision Song Contest is coming.

And if you REALLY can't wait until then, here's a playlist of all 44 entries on Amazon Prime:

https://music.amazon.co.uk/playlists/B07R92GFZD
lewisham-mer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Re: Saturday 10 May

Post by lewisham-mer »

It’s all very exciting

And the UK for once, is one of the red hit favourites. We have a decent entry this year

Semi Final 1 on Tuesday 10th
Semi Final 2 on Thursday 12th
Grand Final on Saturday 14th

Other decent entries from Finland (The Rasmus), Bulgaria, Lithuania, Iceland.

Not really getting the fan love for France, Italy, Spain.

Ukraine will do well with the public vote… not so sure about the juries.

A good performance on the night and we could be looking at the first UK win since Katrina in 1997
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Ukraine will walk it
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

So here's ours...

And I reckon this might do well (if it gets through the semi)...

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:34 pm Ukraine will walk it
If it was silence for 3 minutes it'd still win.

Surprised they're even entering.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

lewisham-mer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:18 pm
A good performance on the night and we could be looking at the first UK win since Katrina in 1997
As much as I admire your optimism lewisham, we’ll never win this again. A duet with Harry Styles and Dua Lipa would still fall short.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1650 likes

Post by last.caress »

Can't stand Eurovision as a rule, but, for no reason whatsoever, mrs.caress and I are considering leaning right into it this year; Eurovision party pack, studying all the runners and riders, inviting family and friends over (none of whom will show up or indeed believe we're on the level), all of it.

Feels like it might be a bridge too far, though. Struggled to watch the UK entry all the way through, and that sounded like a fairly good'un by Eurovision standards.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Why doesn't a decent singer, Adele for example, enter for the UK? She might not be everyone's cup of tea but given she has sold millions of records she would surely smash this?
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

There's really nothing in it for her. Even putting aside the unsportsmanlike optics of it (it would look not entirely dissimilar to, say, Bruce Lee entering the Vange Seniors Ju-Jitsu league), she doesn't need the exposure, she won't sell as much as one more album than she would've done anyway and, thanks to the silly politicisation of the scoring, there's actually a bloody good chance she'll lose anyway despite clearly being in a different class to everyone else in the competition (in fact she'll likely not be voted for precisely because she's a huge star). This is broadly true not just for Adele but for any A-list artist.

Personally, I think the UK should give up pandering to what they think Europe might like and just put up acts who are representative of what's happening in the nation right now and who could use the exposure. An Idles type or a Stormzy type (but obviously neither of those two specifically because, again, A-list).
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Links to videos of all 40 entries in this thread...

last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Not to poop on your parade, but 10th May is a Tuesday according to my diary.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Re: Eurovision 2022

Post by last.caress »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:06 pm Not to poop on your parade, but 10th May is a Tuesday according to my diary.
Guv'nor clearly had himself a spot of semi-final/final confusion. It happens when you get old :).

Duly amended. :newthumb:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

There was this proto feminist anthem

Misko
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 1387 likes

Post by Misko »

I always considered Eurovision as a kitschy freak show with very limited artistic interest. In other words, weirdos in cheap costumes singing very low quality songs with a lot of nonsensical light show. On top of that, the committee for France always picked some Edith Piaf soundalike to make sure that everybody in Europe thinks French people live in the 1940's, the darkest hours of our history. So, let's be honest, if I was to watch that stuff, it would have been with a lot of alcohol and some people to laugh about it with.

This was until I met my wife. She comes from a country where Eurovision has a total diffrent meaning. The contest is one of the rare nights when they can be placed on a map and, more important, when they are not just renegades. Yeah, for Serbia, Eurovision is a whole different thing. So, since I've met her, we watch it together. I still feel the same about the contestants, with few notable exceptions, but the moment is quite enjoyable actually. It became a little ritual that we have and I happily comply to it. We also watched the Serbian selection this year, and were very positively surprised by the outcome. The winner, Kontraskta, is not the classic eastern Bimbo with a cheap Eurodance tune. The song is actually very interesting, I even listen to it from time to time. And it has some interesting meaning as it actually refers to the situation of the artists in Serbia who no longer have an easy access to health insurance (they need to be registered by a municipality willing to pay for them, which as you can guess, is not an easy thing). So, I'll even be cheering for her this weekend :rofl:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I like the ones that were written in 5 minutes from a Bontempi preset, so to improve their chances, they fill the stage with lots of fecund young euro-crumpet with large bosoms.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Misko wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:34 pmThe song is actually very interesting, I even listen to it from time to time. And it has some interesting meaning as it actually refers to the situation of the artists in Serbia who no longer have an easy access to health insurance...
Well that's... different!
Misko
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 1387 likes

Post by Misko »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:05 pm Well that's... different!
Well, the chorus is quite simple ("the artist needs to be healthy") but it tackles the precarity of the artists condition in the country as well as the necessity to please the political power in place, their official line being the "healthy one".

When a simple line can reach deep levels like that, it's probably called talent.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

jastons wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:43 pm Why doesn't a decent singer, Adele for example, enter for the UK? She might not be everyone's cup of tea but given she has sold millions of records she would surely smash this?
Or Engleburt Humperdinck. He's good
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am If it was silence for 3 minutes it'd still win.

Surprised they're even entering.
There is no way they aren’t winning

A duet of Gary Glitter and Rolf Harris could still win it for them

They won it a few years back with a political song and nothing was even going on at the time