Eurovision 2022

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Eurovision 2022

Post by Up the Junction »

On a serious note, perhaps the UK will get to host it next year after all as runners-up.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

No one wants to host it and never have truly wanted to as it costs them too much money

UK have offered many times to step in and maybe our vote was to ease that process as there is probably no chance Ukraine can , and we will always help fund the eurovision , we kept it going over the baron ( not the baron Knight) years , hence our never having to qualify status with a few other nations

Manchester will host it
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

I preferred the Ukrainian entry to our bland pap anyway :newthumb:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Well that was fun and amazing.

Had friends i had not seen for a while over an we had a great time.

It's so cheesy but what the hell. So fun seeing us getting voted so high, I preferred the German guys song who got nothing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Re: Eurovision

Post by Samba »

We'd have won it but for pesky Putin..
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I don’t understand - what’s changed politically that’s led to U.K. receiving votes?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:56 am I don’t understand - what’s changed politically that’s led to U.K. receiving votes?
My thoughts too.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:56 am I don’t understand - what’s changed politically that’s led to U.K. receiving votes?
Putin made Europe forget they hate us..
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I used ask my question, why is it, a country with such a strong music scene could not get it right to produce a performer and a song to win this, let alone, come bottom with null points? The answer(s) I believe are we asked the wrong questions. We went down the wrong route, from wheeling out, ageing pop stars still basking in former glories Bonny Tyler and Engelbert Humperdinck to complete nobody's to say nothing of camp songs - 'We"re flying the flag'. This event, is now not just about the song and the performer, it us also about the staging too. Get that right and you are on with a great shout. Sam Ryder and 'Spaceman' must be over the moon this morning
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1228 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Could possibly be the Ukraine invasion that's seen us back in euro favour. We've been one of the more vocally belligerent NATO nations and that's not gone unnoticed by Dobby Putin who's been rattling his sabre in our direction more than most of the other countries united behind the Ukrainian effort. I dunno.

At the end of the day the UK entry this year was genuinely one of the two or three best entries. Taking politics right out of the equation, it absolutely deserved to be up there. Could that honestly be said of some of our more recent entries? Of Jemini, or Scooch, or Electro Velvet? Even when we've sent a "name" up there like a well past their best Bonnie Tyler or Englebert bloody Humperdinck, or even Blue who didn't do too badly, they've still been fundamentally bumshit. Perhaps we've just been genuinely f***awful - even by Eurovision standards - for a couple of decades.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Europe: "Let's pretend we admire the UK's opposition to Russia by voting them up on Eurovision. Then Vlad will totally flatten them with nukes. Brexit solved. Even better than nil points".
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Elsie's got it. Put in a decent song, marketed well (ie a bloke with 12m TikTok followers) and unsurprisingly you get a decent result.

It should also be pointed out this is the first year for some time our song wasn't selected via a public vote.

All this stuff about "Europe hates us" is a poor excuse for a series of dreadful entries.

(There's also something to be said for the tempo, key and even lyrics of the track which has been discussed at length by the EV experts.)

Even so, France giving us maximum points last night was something truly remarkable.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 581 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Note to Spain: Arse was good but didn't quite make it. Try tits next year.
Misko
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:03 am Even so, France giving us maximum points last night was something truly remarkable.
From this side of the Channel, I don't really see what would make it so remarkable. The general opinion is rather favorable to the Brits. :chin:
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:03 am Elsie's got it. Put in a decent song, marketed well (ie a bloke with 12m TikTok followers) and unsurprisingly you get a decent result.

It should also be pointed out this is the first year for some time our song wasn't selected via a public vote.

All this stuff about "Europe hates us" is a poor excuse for a series of dreadful entries.

(There's also something to be said for the tempo, key and even lyrics of the track which has been discussed at length by the EV experts.)

Even so, France giving us maximum points last night was something truly remarkable.
There is definitely politics involved in my opinion. Germany had a great song but zero points. Bit slow over Ukraine? Hmmmmm
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Misko wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:36 amFrom this side of the Channel, I don't really see what would make it so remarkable.
Historically, the French rarely score the UK highly.
bonzosbeard wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:44 am There is definitely politics involved in my opinion. Germany had a great song but zero points. Bit slow over Ukraine? Hmmmmm
Well there certainly was last night. How else could you account for Ukraine taking nearly every available point from the PUBLIC vote...

What have the likes of Latvia, Ireland and Spain got against the Germans politically?

The bookies had it right as far as Germany and France, who both bombed last night, were concerned: https://eurovisionworld.com/odds/eurovision
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

There’s certainly an element to us getting votes and points whilst putting out a half decent song where we’ve put out dross in the past, and it’s also to be noted that this effort was well marketed with a likeable front man.

Nonetheless it’s no coincidence to me that where weve done badly in the past when weve been generally disliked across Europe (Brexit etc) but have done well in the year Ukraine has walked it with the sympathy vote. It’ll have been noted that we’ve been the most vocal and aggressive in facing off vs Russia, and it’s British NLAWs doing the damage.

Compare to Frances embarrassment when Macron got stuck at the end of the long table and Germany’s hesitance because of gas. How many points did they manage?

Twas ever thus in Eurovision. Its funny, I though Ukraines effort last year was much better.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I really do hope last night doesn’t turn into a one off moment of success for UK. As others have said, forget the politics, we had a bloody decent entry this year and the bookies got it spot on.
We can do well after all. Decent song and a likeable singer well marketed. Just take it seriously like the rest of Europe does. Send out has beens or never will be’s and you’ll keep failing.
Really enjoyed last night and look forward to UK taking it seriously again next year.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

sendô wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:04 amCompare to Frances embarrassment when Macron got stuck at the end of the long table and Germany’s hesitance because of gas. How many points did they manage?
"I really liked that Malik Harris song, but I refuse to vote for it because the German government won't cut off their gas supply from Russia," said Padraig from Dublin, Janis from Latvia and Bob from Australia.

Come on...

ps. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/s ... y-23962332