West Ham Utd 1-2 Arsenal (1/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Arsenal: match thread

Post by Billydinho »

unmartillo wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:03 am I didn't even realise the yellow card was for Bowen, just assumed it was for Ramsdale. I've never been as baffled by a decision. Madness.
Anthony Taylor sending Carlton Cole off for a high boot and then trying to level it up by sending an Everton player for Glenda to nothing towards the end of the game was always a strange one.

First and only time I’ve ever seen a fan base boo a decision to send an opponent off.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Bowen didn't even appeal for anything. That is what baffles me the most. How on earth can it be a dive?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Did anyone ever see a replay of what looked like a clear handball in the first half by Holding blocking a shot? Sky obviously did not replay anything, as the game moved on and why would they want to go back over it once VAR had agreed they couldn't give a penalty vs Arsenal?
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

sendô wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:15 am Did anyone ever see a replay of what looked like a clear handball in the first half by Holding blocking a shot? Sky obviously did not replay anything, as the game moved on and why would they want to go back over it once VAR had agreed they couldn't give a penalty vs Arsenal?
Was this when Lanzini had a shot blocked ?

If so, Holding has his arm by his side as he turned side on - no penalty there. If it wasn't that one I'm not aware of another, but may well be wrong
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

double post
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Billy Hunt wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:58 am Was this when Lanzini had a shot blocked ?

If so, Holding has his arm by his side as he turned side on - no penalty there. If it wasn't that one I'm not aware of another, but may well be wrong
I agree with that. His arm was in and the ball was struck fast and close.

The second goal however, I can't understand how that stood, VAR allegedly checked for potential handball so why wasn't it given as his arm was so far out. If it's because it was borderline Coufal's back and Holding's arm then they should have considered a foul as wihout Holding's arm leading into Coufal's back, Coufal gets a head on the ball. And when you remember how long (three-&-a-half minutes) VAR scrutinised the disallowed Dawson goal v Brighton and how marginal the contact for the indiscernable brush against Antonio's sock was, the five seconds they spent on this kind of rankles.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

jastons wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:57 am Bowen didn't even appeal for anything. That is what baffles me the most. How on earth can it be a dive?
Bowen took the yellow as well pretty amicably as well with just a bemused look on his face.

If was the gooners or Chelski led by Azpilicueta they'd be screaming at the ref to get Ramsdale carded.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Carlton Cole, Balbuena, Bowen. Off the top of my head.

Have you ever seen anything even remotely as bizarre/incomprehensible happen to Man Utd or Liverpool for example?

There’s your bias….
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

How come Mike Dean gets to ref so many of our games when we are playing one of the sky six.

We already know he will rob us and Var only gets used when it suits the sky teams.

The Bowen booking was Dean at his best.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

smuts wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:37 pm Bowen took the yellow as well pretty amicably as well with just a bemused look on his face.

If was the gooners or Chelski led by Azpilicueta they'd be screaming at the ref to get Ramsdale carded.
I was amazed that Bowen was so calm and smiley tbf. I'd have been going mental at the **** that just tried to wipe me out studs up.
boleyn boy
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by boleyn boy »

I've been thinking about yesterdays game and l can only come to one conclusion ....... MIKE DEAN is DAVID DEAN dad and yesterdays game was his way of saying "There you are son 3 points before I go for your old club"

God help us next season when he is boss at VAR
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:24 pm Carlton Cole, Balbuena, Bowen. Off the top of my head.

Have you ever seen anything even remotely as bizarre/incomprehensible happen to Man Utd or Liverpool for example?

There’s your bias….
The thing was that Ramsdale immediately got up and started wagging his finger with this look on his face that suggested that he and Dean knew all along that Bowen was cheating. Bowen had his back to me, so I only saw his reaction on the highlights.

But the other thing was that about half a dozen people all logged on after being at the match and said precisely the same thing - i.e. that their first reactions were anger that the keeper wasn't seeing red.

Personally, I feel that there is no acceptable answer to what arose. At the very best, the ref got it badly wrong, but then I am stuck with the problem that this is precisely what VAR was brought in to rectify...

...and nothing arose from VAR either!