West Ham Utd 1-2 Arsenal (1/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hermit_Road
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Arsenal: match thread

Post by Hermit_Road »

Tezza65 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:57 am You have to question who brought Kral and Vlassic?

Sullivan or Moyes? :chin:
Moyes. I think he got carried away with his conversion ability since the Arnie days :lol:
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

andersonm2 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:26 am Just watched it and thought the same, the commentator said Ramsdale got booked and that didn't even get corrected.

I've seen that attempted tackle a few times (it gets worse the more you see it), Bowen jinks a bit right to avoid having a broken leg and gets booked.

The only good thing to come out of it was that in the interview afterwards with Moyes, he won't tolerate the behaviour of the divers and play actors for which I applaud him.

Roll on Thursday, been a great season whatever the outcome.

I agree any other outfield player gets booked for that challenge by Ramsdale …..reckless challenge with studs showing is a definite yellow at least …..and considering where it was on the pitch a possible red …..to book Bowen for simulation was a joke ….he was trying to avoid getting 6 studs down his shin & being injured ….you wonder if these refs have ever played the game ….Rsmsdale was certainly going to make sure Bowen didn’t progress further towards his goal.

As regards handball prior to their 2nd goal …you wonder the finite examination by VAR if that had been against Liverpool or Man City ….and could have decided the title ….no consistency
Tezza65
Has liked: 1932 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:09 am I said yesterday post match on EUMB - if the performance of Mike Dean yesterday, and of other refs throughout the season - and not just our games either - hasn't yet convinced you that there is something awry in that they're now favouring the breakaway six in plain sight and getting away with it each match week, then nothing will ever convince you.

It's become so blatantly obvious, it's laughable - and that's not with C&B specs on either, because it's not just happening against us.

In the words of Sir Lewis Hamilton, 'This is being manipulated, man'.
I have said this on other forums.

If your feet are off the ground with your studs showing,it's a red all day long.

4 Teams(Arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea and Man U ) in the Top 6 ALWAYS get these decisions going their way..We must get a major one going against every season,when we play one of these.They ALWAYS have a big effect on the game too.

It actually seems like VAR has been brought in to help the Sky 6 and not to get decisions correct.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Posters do realise don't they that Clubs lower down the pyramid say this sort of stuff about the teams above them?

Is there one conspiracy for the Top 6, another one for the chasing pack, one for those in relegation peril, one at the top of the conference etc etc or is it unique to us?

I was talking to a Millwall diehard recently who went into a spiel about West Ham having exerted corruption in getting the Boleyn, them being 'forced' south and a continuum that leads to the OS move and all those shenanigans.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Still hope they beat Spurs…
kentboleyn
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

brownout wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:12 am I expected to lose to Arsenal.
I expected Arsenal to cheat.
I expected Mike Dean to be ‘controversial’.
What however needs to be explained is why for a second game in a row VAR either failed to check, or made a very brief check, of key incidents. Why wasn’t the game stopped to consider a possible red card against Ramsdale as it was for Dawson last week. Why wasn’t there a long delay while Arsenal’s goal was checked for offside? I don’t like these long VAR checks but there needs to be consistency. This is where the big club bias seems to be.
Sums it up perfectly, it also made me think that Lanzini and Benny arnt good enough to take us to the next level.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

The Bowen booking and blowing up before the corner is taken is typical Dean ,a look at me situation,I am on Tv and need to be noticed.
He has always been a bad referee who makes it worse by his ridiculous decisions.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Tezza65 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:07 pm I have said this on other forums.

If your feet are off the ground with your studs showing,it's a red all day long.

4 Teams(Arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea and Man U ) in the Top 6 ALWAYS get these decisions going their way..We must get a major one going against every season,when we play one of these.They ALWAYS have a big effect on the game too.

It actually seems like VAR has been brought in to help the Sky 6 and not to get decisions correct.
Won’t be getting any better next year, look at the retiring “ pets of the scum6” refs who are moving to VAR officialdom for 2022/23, Moss will be able to ensure Salah can dive with total impunity from here on…..
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

kentboleyn wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:31 pm Sums it up perfectly, it also made me think that Lanzini and Benny arnt good enough to take us to the next level.
Next level ? ,we are at the next level now, two years ago we was in a relegation battle ,now we look like finishing in the top 7 two years running and in a European semi final,because of finances we will not better that unfortunately.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

That yellow for Bowen… :shock:

Ramsdale comes flying out like a maniac with his studs up - proper dangerous/reckless challenge - Bowen jumps over it to avoid having his leg broken and gets booked for it. Extroadinary. You think you’ve seen it all from officials but Mike Dean is the gift that keeps on giving. Strange that the other players (where was the skipper?) didn’t seem to make any kind of protest. I suppose there’s no point with that idiot in charge.

On the game I thought we played ok given the makeshift defense (especially first half - ran out of legs/ideas a bit in the second) and a draw wouldn’t have been a travesty. An ordinary Arsenal side playing in the CL next season would be on the other hand.

Cresswell will obviously never be a viable centre half in a 4 due to his stature but he did show what we’re often missing with his ability to pass/bring the ball out form the back. He did well generally to be fair. Noble and Fredericks could and should’ve featured more this season in my opinion.

No further injuries (it would seem) for Thursday was a win. I’ve more or less lost interest in the league to be honest - only just watched it this morning on demand, I was raving it up with Norman Jay, Farley and Rampling yesterday on Hastings Pier (no joke). Image
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

A bit of a nothing game really. With what is coming up for us, you can understand it but for Arsenal, it was surprising. Despite the changes to our side I thought we shaded it, largely keeping the ball well but looking clueless when getting to the final third.

I didn't think there was any stand out performances but just reinforced a few things: namely Fredericks is not good enough, we need a different option in centre midfield and more pace and movement at the top end of the pitch. I thought Noble had a decent game but it's noticeable how much slower everything is when he's in the team.

As for Arsenal, Saka was an absolute disgrace. I kept an eye on Nketiah as I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move. He was lively and would be a decent squad option. But really, they were poor. Outside of the top two it's a bit of a much of a muchness isn't it.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Here's the outrageous dive from the cheating Bowen :eyes:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... n-ramsdale
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

Oldun wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:31 pm The Bowen booking and blowing up before the corner is taken is typical Dean ,a look at me situation,I am on Tv and need to be noticed.
He has always been a bad referee who makes it worse by his ridiculous decisions.
If there's one person deserving of a slap in Football it's that ****.
kentboleyn
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

Oldun wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:35 pm Next level ? ,we are at the next level now, two years ago we was in a relegation battle ,now we look like finishing in the top 7 two years running and in a European semi final,because of finances we will not better that unfortunately.
I get that but shouldnt we now look to go even further, i know its the down to our owners, but its the hope that kills you !
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:02 pm Over the years I've made a point of not commentating on the ref, believing that whether competent or not, they were all neutral.
Increasingly though it's hard not to see a trend towards decisions being awarded to so called "big clubs", and that's disappointing.
I naively believed VAR would level the playing field. It’s actually made it 10 times worse. Marginal calls going the way of the ‘big’ clubs (see Liverpool the other day) and blatant ones going against the likes of West Ham.

It’s exposing the corruption/bias (however you want to call it) rather than eradicating it.
Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hackett of the year done and dusted.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

First game for a while that's left me angry.

Someone needs to give Putin the coordinates of Stockley Park next season.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

There's been several instances of VAR calling the ref to look at what they deem is a reckless out of control tackle...and they probably didn't even bother yesterday.

A big bloke, Studs up, out of control at full pelt...if he connected Bowen would probably be in hospital having his ankle rebuilt this morning.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Doc H Ball wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:40 am This has been going on long before the Sky 6, ESL, or even Mike Dean.

Arsenal became a top flight team 100 years ago thanks to blatant corruption that makes ‘coefficients’ look like chicken feed.

My old man taught me from an early age not to expect anything against the old school tie mob. Didn’t really understand him until Petit took a dive for a last second free kick winner at Highbury.

I can handle the Spurs hyper delusionals, the Millwall clay eaters and the Chelski Boomerwaffen, but this lot get my blood up more than any others.
Yup. Doc mate, I would genuinely prefer Spurs to get 4th over them snides.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

claretchris wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:15 am It’s a horrible recent trend of getting ex players to commentate on ‘their’ club - Alan Smith was awful yesterday, so biased - at least Gary Neville will call out Man Utd for their mediocrity.
Yup, can’t stand it. Gobby Carragher doing Liverpool games is excruciating.