West Ham Utd 1-2 Arsenal (1/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United vs Arsenal: match thread

Post by brownout »

I expected to lose to Arsenal.
I expected Arsenal to cheat.
I expected Mike Dean to be ‘controversial’.
What however needs to be explained is why for a second game in a row VAR either failed to check, or made a very brief check, of key incidents. Why wasn’t the game stopped to consider a possible red card against Ramsdale as it was for Dawson last week. Why wasn’t there a long delay while Arsenal’s goal was checked for offside? I don’t like these long VAR checks but there needs to be consistency. This is where the big club bias seems to be.
andersonm2
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by andersonm2 »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:10 am No mention of Ramsdales attempt to take Bowens leg off on MOTD2. Didn't even ask the question, apparently if there is no contact then it's fine.

Any other player on that pitch and he gets a red card. If fir example, Zouma had dived in like that on Nketiah I'm sure it wouldn't be dismissed as a dive, just cos Nketiah jumps out the way?
Just watched it and thought the same, the commentator said Ramsdale got booked and that didn't even get corrected.

I've seen that attempted tackle a few times (it gets worse the more you see it), Bowen jinks a bit right to avoid having a broken leg and gets booked.

The only good thing to come out of it was that in the interview afterwards with Moyes, he won't tolerate the behaviour of the divers and play actors for which I applaud him.

Roll on Thursday, been a great season whatever the outcome.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

1st minute xhaka takes down bowen when he is breaking towards goal - clear professional foul - mike dean, no yellow.

corner last second of first half with a stoppage just prior to injury time that should have been added on - mike dean, halftime.

ramsdale comes steaming out studs up and bowen has to adjust last second to avoid getting his leg snapped - mike dean, books bowen for simulation. Redknapp makes a massive point calling out bowen as a diver and cheat after what we see every week from salah et al. words fail me.

blatant handball on their second goal - var doesnt even check it and they dont even mention it in the analysis.

that corner that anotnio should have got. despite replays clearly showing it was a corner, smith said "yep, the officials have got it right there" - pure delusion.

although we rarely threatened after thier second goal we outplayed arsenal with the ball most of the game. i thought they were awful and offered nothing other than 2 breakaways as we were pushing for the equaliser.

of course my arsenal mate said we were **** and arsenal were the better team and all of the above decisions were correct. i just ended the conversation. they dont understand football. scummy club and thier manager is loathsome.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Does anyone have a link to a clip of the Bowen yellow card incident?
It's not included in the extended highlights on the club's website
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

I cannot believe how far arsenal have fallen. Really are a poor side but somehow get results, by hook or by crook.

Arteta must have a couple of training sessions each week on shithousery. And then he must attend the t pulis of elite shithousery training.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Moyes:

"“We made a few changes and maybe a few people gave us different sorts of skillsets, but the one we lost was that we took the height out of the team today and we ended up losing to set pieces. That’s what happens is that when you put some of the bigger players in, you’re more robust and it helps you at set pieces, but the minute we take them out we become vulnerable and that was noticeable today.”
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I said yesterday post match on EUMB - if the performance of Mike Dean yesterday, and of other refs throughout the season - and not just our games either - hasn't yet convinced you that there is something awry in that they're now favouring the breakaway six in plain sight and getting away with it each match week, then nothing will ever convince you.

It's become so blatantly obvious, it's laughable - and that's not with C&B specs on either, because it's not just happening against us.

In the words of Sir Lewis Hamilton, 'This is being manipulated, man'.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bowltorious wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:27 am of course my arsenal mate said we were **** and arsenal were the better team and all of the above decisions were correct. i just ended the conversation. they dont understand football. scummy club and thier manager is loathsome.
Having hounded Wenger and Emery out of their jobs, I understand that Arsenal fans are now entitled to a team that cheats in the manner it clearly does, because they are a 'big club' and that means that they are also 'streetwise' and can 'play ugly'.

Boiled down, the reality is that Arsenal have decided to cheat, most matches, because they know full well that they will get away with it.

And they're right there. A week ago, everyone was coating off Richarlison - fairly in my book - because of his antics. This week, he's now possibly scored the goal that gives them new hope.

Cheating, like dribbling, trapping, shooting and building a defensive wall in the face of a dangerous free-kick has become normalised and commonplace.

The only dividing line now is between

(a) cheating is destroying the game, or
(b) cheating has destroyed the game, in favour of the richest clubs repeatedly winning everything.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Hamburger wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:09 am Personally I think Dawson would have made the difference, certainly in both of the goals (he would have been all over Holding instead of Lanzini) where the back post was not properly marked. An experienced CD like Dawson would have marshalled the defence, possibly one of Zouma's few weaknesses or is that being harsh?
I think it's less Dawson specifically, but we swapped Dawson and Soucek, two of the best aerial players in the league, for Cresswell and Noble, who are both under six foot, we concede two headers, it's not rocket science.

Arsenal are probably the most cynical team in the league.

I came on here to rant about Mike Dean's awful Bowen decision, but I can't keep up with the conspiracy theory stuff!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

This has been going on long before the Sky 6, ESL, or even Mike Dean.

Arsenal became a top flight team 100 years ago thanks to blatant corruption that makes ‘coefficients’ look like chicken feed.

My old man taught me from an early age not to expect anything against the old school tie mob. Didn’t really understand him until Petit took a dive for a last second free kick winner at Highbury.

I can handle the Spurs hyper delusionals, the Millwall clay eaters and the Chelski Boomerwaffen, but this lot get my blood up more than any others.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Sky 6 training session.

I am glad Mike Dean probably won't be officiating us again. The issue is the incompitence of the rest of the referees.

Arsenal weren't as bad in the cheating department as the last game.

I thought most of our players played fairly well. People complaining about Fornals not completing passes, but he completed 21 more passes than Benrahma made in total, and I thought Benrahma played pretty well despite his decision making.

I do think it was a mistake not having taller players on, Arsenal play in a way that suits us, and if we had Dawson on the first goal doesn't happen. Or if Lanzini and Rice swapped positions.

We've clearly missed Ogbonna this season, not because he's left footed, but because I still think he was our best defender.
The Straw
Has liked: 550 likes
Total likes: 1334 likes

Post by The Straw »

All this 'glad we won't have Mike Dean again'...

Isn't he just moving onto doing VAR full time from next season? If anything things could get worse.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Really? How old is that ****?

(edit - just checked and he’s younger than me 😀)
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I'm sure there's a conveyer belt of Mike Dean 2.0s rolling off the Premier League production line, currently being groomed by Sky, to carry out their dirty deeds.
claretchris
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by claretchris »

It’s a horrible recent trend of getting ex players to commentate on ‘their’ club - Alan Smith was awful yesterday, so biased - at least Gary Neville will call out Man Utd for their mediocrity.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

The Straw wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:01 am All this 'glad we won't have Mike Dean again'...

Isn't he just moving onto doing VAR full time from next season? If anything things could get worse.
If that's the case then I don't expect us to be challenging for top 6 let alone top 4 anytime soon. Wonder if he's down to referee our last league game vs Brighton? Can just picture him being involved in another controversial decision that ends up costing us 7th place.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

How ironic that the "Breakaway" 6 clubs who were subsequently fined (A pittance) by the Prem are now, somewhat "Blatently" being favoured by official/VAR without shame! I wish they had/would fck off to their breakaway league, I really do. A what one might call a Premier Championship, without the bias will/would be more entertaining and fare than what we have now. For the record, I rejected the conspiracy theorists,,,,, up until this season and Artetta and Asre et al confirm this and have changed my mind. stuff the Prem, fck em!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

S-H wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:06 am I'm sure there's a conveyer belt of Mike Dean 2.0s rolling off the Premier League production line, currently being groomed by Sky, to carry out their dirty deeds.
I've seen them - all yellow with kite-mark stickers...

Hopefully they'll be used in lots of crash tests.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

At the Emirates Coufal was sent off for tackling Lacazette and winning the ball, at the London Stadium Bowen was booked for avoiding having his career ended by Ramsdale.

But no, there's no bias here.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:53 am Would we be saying these things if we had won....
You have to question who brought Kral and Vlassic?

Sullivan or Moyes? :chin:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 02, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.