UELSF: Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: ⚽ Eintracht Frankfurt v West Ham United: match thread

Post by e17 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:33 pm It probably was a red card, but it wouldnt have been that controversial if the ref had decided to stick with his decision. It wasn't cast iron, IMHO
In the stadium at the time he looked like a teenager who’d just done his first pill. His arms and legs were everywhere,

It was as cast iron as it gets Crouchy.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

GSB simply HAVE TO spend heavily this summer. Give Moyes the budget he wants. This summer will be key for us as to whether we progress or end up in a possible relegation scrap next season. It feels a bit like after 85/86 or 15/16, when the manager was not backed after a great season.

First thing to do is make Areola a permanent deal. Then we desperately need another striker. After that, if Moyes wishes to play 3 at the back, we need a rock solid centre half and an all-action central midfielder. It'll cost £100m, but it has to be done.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:58 pm Forgive me , I'm not that clued up on the rules of VAR -

If a Referee awards a Yellow Card for a foul and VAR suggest it should be a Red , does the Referee have to agree with VAR's decision ?

In other words , who gets the final say on the colour of the card ?
https://video.repubblica.it/sport/europ ... 434/414361

Here's a short video of the example I used. They are few and far between though.

The issue with last night is that it probably is a red card and I'm not sure why the referee would stick with his original opinion after watching it again.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:33 pm If the ref hadn't given a foul and then reviewed and given a red card i could understand that more, but if he thought it was a foul and not a sending off (which he did), then I am not sure what on the monitor changed his mind
This is a fair point I think, it was certainly a foul but nothing malicious or dangerous... I wonder if VAR drew his attention to him being the last man - I'm not sure if he was...and I have absolutely no intention of watching any of last night again.

It does seem that the jog to the VAR Screen is a virtually guaranteed upgrading of the the offence, just get rid and have the VAR issue the card and save ourselves a few minutes of panto.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:44 pm In the stadium at the time he looked like a teenager who’d just done his first pill. His arms and legs were everywhere,

It was as cast iron as it gets Crouchy.
yes, a pretty clear foul which the ref gave
my point is if he didnt think it was a goalscoring chance first time, what was he shown that changed his mind?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

e17 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:42 pm As clear cut as the one against Lyon.

Cresswell has spent years getting away with phoning it in as a generic solid squad LB. Sort of player who passes back by default. His ability to occasionally ping a decent ball into the box has covered for years of being pretty poor at defending. He’s clearly a decent pro, good mates with Nobes, been here a long while etc etc.

As I previously stated in 2019 (& got slated by a few!) : Aaron Cresswell is the bloke in the office who just gets away with doing what he needs to from 9-5. No one knows much about what he does, or who he is. He’s Gregory in Finance. He won’t make a hot drink and you don’t notice he’s on holidays until Wednesday…

Not his fault that he started last night though.
that is a great description of Cresswell
he has always been overrated imho because he can hit a stationary ball well with his left foot
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

3 reasons why I struggle with the red. He was holding cresswell arguably fouling as well. He wasn’t in control of the ball so goal scoring opportunity whilst likely is still speculative. The ref gave a yellow. Was it really that clear and obvious?

Anyhow I can accept the defeat just so gutted the biggest game of my lifetime was destroyed by that. I’ve been numb all day. Still I’m going to the final and I’ll support our Scottish neighbours just like they always support us :chin:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

If Cresswell had stayed behind the forward or moved in front, he would have stopped the goal. As it happened he got caught in 2 minds, did neither and got tangled up. A split second reaction which was regrettable and costly, arguably not an intentional foul but a foul nevertheless. If he had let him go, chances are Areola would have got to the ball or certainly close enough to block a shot. It was a mistake and he's not blameless but give the guy some slack in the heat of the moment.
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri May 06, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:58 pm just get rid and have the VAR issue the card and save ourselves a few minutes of panto.
Oh no they shouldn’t!
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Carlton Cole got it right.......

Aaron "No Contact" Creswell will now be known as Aaron "Handsy" Creswell. It was a red card all night long.

Frankfurt were the better side over the two legs and deserved to go through. However, what is so disappointing is that they did not have to do much to be the better team. That is how poor we were.

A massive chance to win a trophy has gone and as realistic West Ham fans know....... Those chances are a very rare thing for us.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:08 pm The referee. In the Atalanta v RB Leipzig game, Lahoz waved away a penalty appeal from Atalanta. VAR wanted a penalty given and asked him to check. He went back to have a look, explained why he didn't feel it was a penalty and stuck with his decision.
Thanks . :newthumb:

So the Ref didn't have to send Cresswell off then ?

Hmmmm .
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:03 pm yes, a pretty clear foul which the ref gave
my point is if he didnt think it was a goalscoring chance first time, what was he shown that changed his mind?
I must admit I find that surprising as well. He and the Assistant were perfectly placed. He gave the foul, so obviously saw that, but only showed a yellow. Creswell and the Frankfurt player were pretty isolated so what did he see on the screen that he and the Assistant missed?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:58 pm Forgive me , I'm not that clued up on the rules of VAR -

If a Referee awards a Yellow Card for a foul and VAR suggest it should be a Red , does the Referee have to agree with VAR's decision ?

In other words , who gets the final say on the colour of the card ?
Here's a write up of the VAR review process and what happened when Mike Dean gave Souček a red card last season that was subsequently overturned on appeal. The UEFA process is similar.

UEFA also encourages referees to use the touchline monitors as much as possible when VAR intervenes.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Upon reflection over the legs, that was an OK team, but nothing more than an OK team. You could see why they are 11th in the Bundesliga. We should've overcome them and I'm sure the West Ham of the Autumn would've triumphed
against this lot. So, this begs the question, why we didn't. We made this far more difficult for ourselves than it should've been. At the LS, once again, we started on the back foot, when the instructions should've been, to tear into them from the get go. Get the first tackle in and press high up the pitch, but the moment Kostic got in his cross, without a proper challenge, we were exposed, Fornals was caught napping, dozing even, he tried dangling a leg, but that was about all. From that moment on, we were up against it, chasing the game and chasing the tie, Bowen nearly tied things up, when he shouldve scored, you have to put those away at this level. Sure, we had some misfortune Bowen's late spectacular overhead bycicle kick could've bounced back onto Trapp's head and rebounded in that could've made a difference, but it was a case of nearly and not nearly enough. Compare these ties with 1976 version when we did tear into them from the off and tore them apart, building a 3-0 lead to overcome them and that should've been the instruction at the LS too
GPW
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by GPW »

Hamburger wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:07 pm It was a mistake and he's not blameless but give the guy some slack in the heat of the moment.
What I struggle with is the fact that he's an experienced player who has basically made the same "mistake" 2 rounds in a row. We dodged a bullet first time but the second was too much to ask. I think there's an argument that the red in the Lyon game was harsh so maybe a bit of slack there but so much harder to do that when he repeats it yesterday.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

The reason Creswell screwed up is because he can only play football with his left peg. Look at the video again and he could easily have kicked the ball with his right foot but decided against it because he's so ***** with it . Trying to kick the ball with his left foot meant he was swinging more across the ball trajectory and that needs perfect timing because he missed the ball completely . He embarassed himself by the air shot , panicked and partially grabbed the attacker (a soft foul but gives the ref/VAR no option but to give a red) .

Just a poor defender who has made quite a few errors that have led to other goals in important matches. Johnson is by far a better defender and very difficult to get past.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

GPW wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:47 pm What I struggle with is the fact that he's an experienced player who has basically made the same "mistake" 2 rounds in a row. We dodged a bullet first time but the second was too much to ask. I think there's an argument that the red in the Lyon game was harsh so maybe a bit of slack there but so much harder to do that when he repeats it yesterday.
He gets targeted as a weakness same as teams do with TAA and Robertson. To some extent joao cancelo, it’s a trade off. Not a favourable one in this instance. They isolated him deliberately, Fredericks for all his weaknesses defends that easily imho.
northiron
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by northiron »

I was convinced Cresswell deserved the red last night, looking at it again though, he had his hands all over the attacker but at no point did anything which could have caused the Frankfurt player to dive forwards.
Another case of "clever" play.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

northiron wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:18 pm I was convinced Cresswell deserved the red last night, looking at it again though, he had his hands all over the attacker but at no point did anything which could have caused the Frankfurt player to dive forwards.
Another case of "clever" play.
Precisely what I thought at the time and still do. Cresswell was far too handsy but it was still a dive when the attacker actually went down.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Last night hurt. But I tell you what hurt more......

1990 League Cup Semi final first leg against Oldham, losing 6-0

1991 FA Cup Semi Final against Forest losing 4-0 with 10 men

1991 last game of the season, losing to Notts County to miss out on winning the league

2006 FA Cup Final against Liverpool after leading 2-0 and 3-2

2011 League Cup Semi Final against Birmingham leading from the first leg 2-1 then lost the second leg AET

Thats real pain.