UELSF: Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: ⚽ Eintracht Frankfurt v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Belgian Iron »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:24 pm Right from the beginning of the game, even before going down to 10 men, you could see that our passing - yet again - was very sloppy. A combination of fatigue, nerves, miscommunication, and poor decision making. We've been like that for quite some time now. At the moment there's been a collective loss of mojo. If I had to find one word to describe our performances this year, I'd say 'tired'. They're still putting the miles in but mentally, they're very very jaded. End of season can't come soon enough for them now.
If we would've played this game at this stage last season we would've won it, for sure.
The team was fresh and full of confidence with Lingard as a surplus.

Big difference with our current team.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

WestHammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:54 pm People are forgetful and harsh on Creswell.
He hasn't been the same since his knee injury in 2016.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Belgian Iron wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:52 pm If we would've played this game at this stage last season we would've won it, for sure.
The team was fresh and full of confidence with Lingard as a surplus.

Big difference with our current team.
Doesn't quite work like that does it.

The reason we were fresh this time last year, is because we weren't playing Thursday-Sunday most weeks.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

costa75 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:09 pmFrankfurt were the better side over the two legs and deserved to go through. However, what is so disappointing is that they did not have to do much to be the better team. That is how poor we were.

A massive chance to win a trophy has gone and as realistic West Ham fans know....... Those chances are a very rare thing for us.
This sums up why today is painful.

I’m honestly of the opinion that had we just brought in one alternative attacking option to give Mic and Bowen options - another Lingard loan or the likes in Jan - We’d have won this competition.

Even with 10 last night, our defence hardly let us down really. Sparse amount conceded away in Spain, France or Germany.

But the front line look so so tired and understandably so.

G&S and to a lesser extent Moyes really really ****ed up in January. We were pumping balls up to a lad who’s played far too much football all night because we had no other options on the bench.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

61dicksey wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:28 pm Just seen the Declan vent in the tunnel, nobody should be punished for speaking the truth.
Basically calling the ref a cheat.....which he wasnt btw. The red was a stonewall.

And if he thinks the Europa refs are corrupt, then WTF does he think of the PL officials?
e17

Post by e17 »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:36 pm Losing to Rangers in the final would be worse
They won’t beat Frankfurt
e17

Post by e17 »

61dicksey wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:28 pm Just seen the Declan vent in the tunnel, nobody should be punished for speaking the truth.
Would like to know who the snide is that’s recorded and then leaked that.

Noticed from where we were sat last night there were a fair few jobsworth UEFA types who seemed intent on making sure the home side got a bit of preferential treatment - there was one red tied obese Hitler lookalike in particular who was desperate to dob Moyes in for his Carlos kickabout - and celebrated like a goal had been scored when the ref brandished the red.

No idea if these c**** were Frankfurt or UEFA staff, but the same fat twat was very careful to avoid Kevin Nolan’s shadow at the end of the game.

Rich was right by the way - having sat with them and had a chance to think about it, there’s a serious amount of European Nigels in their support - wonderful to observe but actually borderline “goal scored celebration music” to partake in. All a bit Sheffield Wednesday marching band ****.
Last edited by e17 on Fri May 06, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

S-H wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:02 pm Doesn't quite work like that does it.

The reason we were fresh this time last year, is because we weren't playing Thursday-Sunday most weeks.
No I know but it's just to confirm the initial post. We're fatigued and the comparison with last year is clear.

A couple of fresh body's in could have resolved a bit of that. But we all know that.....
Last edited by Belgian Iron on Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:44 pm Seems clear to me that UEFA would prefer us to lose, which is reflected in the refereeing.

British teams never get the benefit of the doubt from European referees.
Bloody hell IB. I never had you down as a xenophobic 😏.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:36 pm Last night hurt. But I tell you what hurt more......

1990 League Cup Semi final first leg against Oldham, losing 6-0

1991 FA Cup Semi Final against Forest losing 4-0 with 10 men

1991 last game of the season, losing to Notts County to miss out on winning the league

2006 FA Cup Final against Liverpool after leading 2-0 and 3-2

2011 League Cup Semi Final against Birmingham leading from the first leg 2-1 then lost the second leg AET

Thats real pain.
I’m not old enough for the first few and the final few are still horrible years later but this is worse IMO.

The FA Cup doesn’t materially change your club’s trajectory or self-perception. The League Cup certainly doesn’t. Winning a European wide trophy does, as does qualifying for the Champions League.

No way to know if we’d have beaten EF at full strength - they were no mugs, and the way they play is precisely the type of thing that causes us problems with other teams. But it’s the not knowing that stings. Get through that last night and we’re likely hosting CL football next season. No one would fancy their chances at taking on Rangers at Ibrox currently but a Morelos and Roofe-free version at a neutral venue? We’re winning that.
e17

Post by e17 »

Final take home from our adventures in das wunderland before I head back to Blighty via Greece (it’s a tough life):

We may have lost. We may have awful owners. We may have some Charlie Bigpotato idiots at Stratford. But by God does NOTHING beat our lot singing “bubbles” over land and sea. It’s been a ****ing brilliant adventure.

And we might not have a final to look forward to, but what a brilliant team we support. I wouldn’t swap West Ham United for anything.

Good luck to Frankfurt in the final. A fabulous place and some proper lovely people.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Aceface wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 pm The FA Cup doesn’t materially change your club’s trajectory or self-perception.
That's a shame because other than a solitary ECWC, it's the only honour we have ever won. I wonder why they bothered to emblazon 1964, 1975 and 1980 between the tiers at the OS
westham,eggyandchips

Fact is, from the first minute to the 180th, I never felt like we were in the tie. I think thats why I'm not so upset by going out in this semi. Sure, it stung immediately after, but now, I'm over it quicker than lots of other defeats we've had. :chin:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:32 pm Fact is, from the first minute to the 180th, I never felt like we were in the tie. I think thats why I'm not so upset by going out in this semi. Sure, it stung immediately after, but now, I'm over it quicker than lots of other defeats we've had. :chin:
Early goal in the first leg.

Early red in the second.

Both knocked the stuffing out of us, and we were left chasing both games.

Most annoying because we are much better than that.
westham,eggyandchips

S-H wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:38 pm Early goal in the first leg.

Early red in the second.

Both knocked the stuffing out of us, and we were left chasing both games.

Most annoying because we are much better than that.
Exactly.

If we'd been leading at any stage and they had 10 men and we still went out, I'd be going batshit today.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

After the cup final the feeling was horrible, but we still got to the final and qualified for Europe. Our name is on the history books. Last night's loss really tops of a really good couple of season with some amazing memories, but that's it - no football records in 40 years time will acknowledge it. We a great opportunity to make real history this year but we let it slip due to the lack of investment in January. Could have been massive, and that's why it hurts so much.
Last edited by roblo on Fri May 06, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

e17 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:10 pm They won’t beat Frankfurt
I think they will. I work with loads of their fans. And Celtic. Dreading work on Monday.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:30 pm That's a shame because other than a solitary ECWC, it's the only honour we have ever won. I wonder why they bothered to emblazon 1964, 1975 and 1980 between the tiers at the OS
Getting some signage printed is evidence of change in a club’s trajectory?
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Still gutted

Was a red for me I’m afraid. What probably confirms it for me is that the video shows Cresswell grab the guys shoulder (potentially as he’s off balance) and then follows that up with another grab at him that misses. Given the ref’s position for the original incident I think one of those was on his blind side, but as soon as he sees the other angle it ‘looks’ like Cresswell is trying to grab the player more than once (making it appear intent rather than clumsy). Imo

Stupid challenge. Saying that, disappointed by the suggestions that he should leave etc, etc. it’s been the owners and successive managers who haven’t brought in a genuine competitor for the left back slot. I’ve not been a big Cresswell fan defensively - but I could name tens of players who’ve let west ham down more in their performances and behaviour in his time at the club.

Felt the ref was ok apart from decisions on Soucek and Antonio - he seemed to adopt the ‘they’re big lads so they can take a bit of rough stuff’ approach to how they were marked in the game.

Can we please buy some longer studs for certain players (Bowen, cough) and get back to attacking the ball before it bounces (rather than waiting for the bounce and then being surrounded by three opposition players).

As others have said - we lost this game in January. Partly due to fitness/rotation but partly because Frankfurt seem to play the exact style of football that we struggle against, and we don’t seem to have the players to protect against that or capitalise on their weaknesses. They’re nowhere near the best German side but I reckon we could have comfortably despatched other German sides who were higher in the league with different playing styles. Moyes needs to address that issue in the summer.

On to Norwich. The prospect of no European football next season fills me with almost as much sadness as losing last night so we need to try to win that game…although I suspect the club won’t take the ECL as seriously as it did Europa.
norfolkhammer
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by norfolkhammer »

Been a lurker on here for years and been supporting for over 40 years...

Just feel the need to reach out as just super flat today and can't shake the feeling.

Feels like we were so so close and to witness the club pick up a piece of proper silverware would have been so special. I was only 4 in 1980 so sadly have never seen the club do this (I'm not including the Intertoto-sorry!). Just feels like such a missed chance and a defining moment in the immediate future direction of the club. We all know the reasons why we fell slightly short yesterday, but although I fought the thoughts,somewhere deep down I (foolishly) started to think that it might just be our year! I know it was still an amazing run (I was lucky enough to witness the Seville game in person), but we all know chances like this are few and far between and just totally gutted that it's over.