UELSF: Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Re: ⚽ Eintracht Frankfurt v West Ham United: match thread

Post by szola »

MB wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:21 pmThey are very good at defending set pieces. Not least because their keeper is quality.
Are we good at set pieces or are we just good at bullying teams who are bad at defending them?
Being good at set pieces is about more than bullying, in my opinion.
You need to work on your delivery (we have good players), your movement in the box, and heading (we have good players)

The only part were we aren't a top team, is with the variety. Then again, if you had the quality of the delivery we have, you don't need to coreograph the movements too much.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:26 pm Defensive high line - Johnson, Coufal with their men, Zouma drawn out but with his. The other CB's have to deal with runner. Didn't happen. Definitely Cresswell's man.
Poor from the manager. No reason that should be happening. Was wrong at the start last week, too.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

costa75 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:32 pm

Congratulations to Frankfurt. Their club, fans, and players wanted it a lot more than us. What scenes....
Eh ?
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:46 pm Poor from the manager. No reason that should be happening. Was wrong at the start last week, too.
Moyes has been brilliant for West Ham, unfortunately I didn't really understand his defensive tactics in either leg.

First leg we played Cresswell in a 3 & Fornals left wing-back when in a defensive position and it didn't work. We conceded a sloppy goal in the first minute because we got in each others way.

I'm not sure who that is over the far side, but it looks like Fornals again, with Cresswell in a back 3. We all know what happened next.

Cresswell was excellent at CB when we originally played a back 3/5, but we were a much more defensive side than.

It seemed we wanted to defend in a European competition, with a back 5 including a midfielder, 2 centre backs and no wing-backs on the pitch.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I have no problems with dropping into a five, but last week we went 5-2-3 and it never worked. This week, well we just look like we havent learned anything about how they play. Those runs are a constant and the movement is meant to be difficult.

On a very basic level, they've asked that Cresswell be put into a scenario that we know based on his attributes and recent history that he is not good at.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:26 pm Defensive high line - Johnson, Coufal with their men, Zouma drawn out but with his. The other CB's have to deal with runner. Didn't happen. Definitely Cresswell's man.
Johnson at LWB comfortably cleans this up
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Long Shot wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:31 pm Dec calling the ref bent

I love Declan Rice even more now - brilliant lad .
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The Straw wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:17 am What a well thought out riposte. Literally adds nothing to the debate. Edgy though. You're well happy with that. Proper enlightened and smug 👍

That well funny geezer with the gifs liked it though so well done!
I was being serious with the samaritans link, but you asked for a debate, it would be rude not to oblige.
The Straw wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:01 am Modern day society is all about wrapping everything and everyone in cotton wool isn't it? ****ing hell.
Is it? I am not sure what bearing modern-day society (whatever that means) has on getting sent off in a European Football match. I am also not sure about this concept of wrapping people in cotton wool also has to do with it. People have the right to criticise if it's done in a constructive manner and many people on this forum and in the wider ether have managed that. But others sadly have resorted to fickle finger-pointing and making ludicrous suggestions that he should never play for West Ham again and should put in a transfer request. Frankly that's reactionary at best, at worst? Shows a lack of emotional development. A bit like too-bob, perma-failure Carlton Cole, who for some reason seems to have managed to gain cult status amongst our support for - who the f*** knows why.

Should Creswell have known better? I think he probably should, but as our leader and host quite rightly said, where were our centre-halves in all this? Strangely in the pub, I was in last night, fellas were saying exactly the same. Along with Hauge making an absolute meal out of it, which set the tone for the entire match for Frankfurt whose players were cynical and conning.

The home game at Lyon proved to me that West Ham is naive to European football and the shithousery that goes on. We play with integrity whilst others dive, are unsportsmanlike and are quite happy to get a fellow professional sent off. I am torn as integrity doesn't win you cups, but do we sell our soul?

Last night's game was lost in August of last year and January of this, with a failure to build the squad for a domestic and European campaign. I had a couple of beers yesterday afternoon with a Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton and Fulham fan. All very much neutral, but all very much wanting us to do well. They said to get where we have, with the lack of squad and lack of investment is nothing short of a miracle. I tend to agree with their assessment.

My theory (which is most likely b*llocks) is that come next year, GSB can f*** off without penalty and it is their intention to do just that. But in order to maximise the sale price, they are keeping their expenditure low. Our drop off in performance from Christmas will now result most likely in conference football next season - arguably a backwards step. I would be incredibly surprised if we saw any signings in the summer. The argument will be - you did well with what you've got, so why recruit.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Forgive me , I'm not that clued up on the rules of VAR -

If a Referee awards a Yellow Card for a foul and VAR suggest it should be a Red , does the Referee have to agree with VAR's decision ?

In other words , who gets the final say on the colour of the card ?
Station to Station
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Station to Station »

The red card obviously decided the game and tie at a key time just when Frankfurt had started to look jittery after losing Hinteregger. That said, proud of the way we played with 10 in a hostile atmosphere, and given the circumstances, the XG stats do tell a story.

However, at this level it's so often about key decisions and fine margins. Unfortunately, we were on the wrong side of both over two legs. They scored at perfect times - we hit the woodwork three times. Trapp parried the ball straight to the feet of their cb in the box last night - Areola parried it straight to the feet of the barely onside Kamada for a tap-in last week. We just weren't clinical, or lucky enough.

But in perspective, it was our first proper season in the competition when some thought we would struggle in the group. We knocked out two champions league pedigree teams and played nearly a third of the QF and SF's with 10 men. Add to that our injuries, schedule, a shifting back line, and thanks to our beloved board, a wafer thin squad. It is a great achievement to get where we have.

If someone had told me two years ago we'd manage this I'd have laughed. If we can go from that to this, there is no reason we can't do it again. One thing is for certain though, we simply have to get it right this Summer.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:58 pm Forgive me , I'm not that clued up on the rules of VAR -

If a Referee awards a Yellow Card for a foul and VAR suggest it should be a Red , does the Referee have to agree with VAR's decision ?

The referee. In the Atalanta v RB Leipzig game, Lahoz waved away a penalty appeal from Atalanta. VAR wanted a penalty given and asked him to check. He went back to have a look, explained why he didn't feel it was a penalty and stuck with his decision.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Station to Station wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:59 pm The red card obviously decided the game and tie at a key time just when Frankfurt had started to look jittery after losing Hinteregger. That said, proud of the way we played with 10 in a hostile atmosphere, and given the circumstances, the XG stats do tell a story.

However, at this level it's so often about key decisions and fine margins. Unfortunately, we were on the wrong side of both over two legs. They scored at perfect times - we hit the woodwork three times. Trapp parried the ball straight to the feet of their cb in the box last night - Areola parried it straight to the feet of the barely onside Kamada for a tap-in last week. We just weren't clinical, or lucky enough.

But in perspective, it was our first proper season in the competition when some thought we would struggle in the group. We knocked out two champions league pedigree teams and played nearly a third of the QF and SF's with 10 men. Add to that our injuries, schedule, a shifting back line, and thanks to our beloved board, a wafer thin squad. It is a great achievement to get where we have.

If someone had told me two years ago we'd manage this I'd have laughed. If we can go from that to this, there is no reason we can't do it again. One thing is for certain though, we simply have to get it right this Summer.
Added to that, we were too honest for our good. We didn't have any players, theatrically, throw themselves to the ground under a tackle, target any players ready on a yellow card, to even things up and we are going to have to start getting a bit more savvy, even if this does go against the grain, next time around, otherwise we will still have these post mortems
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:58 pm Forgive me , I'm not that clued up on the rules of VAR -

The ref, but they rarely go against VAR once directed to the screen. Can think of one time.it has happened in the Premier League
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:08 pm The referee. In the Atalanta v RB Leipzig game, Lahoz waved away a penalty appeal from Atalanta. VAR wanted a penalty given and asked him to check. He went back to have a look, explained why he didn't feel it was a penalty and stuck with his decision.
WHich is how it should work, but it rarely does work like that in England

Once the VAR advises the ref to have a look (and tells them what 'offence' to look for, that will almost certainly mean a change of decision

When i saw the referee running over last night I was hoping referees in Europe had more courage of their convictions, but not in this case!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Let’s try and be fair - it was defo a red
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It probably was a red card, but it wouldnt have been that controversial if the ref had decided to stick with his decision. It wasn't cast iron, IMHO

If the ref hadn't given a foul and then reviewed and given a red card i could understand that more, but if he thought it was a foul and not a sending off (which he did), then I am not sure what on the monitor changed his mind
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:24 pm Let’s try and be fair - it was defo a red
Yes I said the same thing. However I thought Everton should have had one against Liverpool, but the ref and VAR did not. Lampard has to answer for questioning the ref and I expect Declan will have to also.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:22 pm WHich is how it should work, but it rarely does work like that in England

Once the VAR advises the ref to have a look (and tells them what 'offence' to look for, that will almost certainly mean a change of decision

When i saw the referee running over last night I was hoping referees in Europe had more courage of their convictions, but not in this case!
Lahoz actually got some criticism for it from some people, which kind of tells it's own story. I thought it was the correct decision and I'm glad he stuck with it. Lahoz is a great referee and he's not the type to be bullied by anyone that's for sure. It was great to see him explain why he was sticking with it. Not sure why VAR wanted a penalty, was no reason for them to try so hard to sway him.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:24 pm Let’s try and be fair - it was defo a red
As clear cut as the one against Lyon.

Cresswell has spent years getting away with phoning it in as a generic solid squad LB. Sort of player who passes back by default. His ability to occasionally ping a decent ball into the box has covered for years of being pretty poor at defending. He’s clearly a decent pro, good mates with Nobes, been here a long while etc etc.

As I previously stated in 2019 (& got slated by a few!) : Aaron Cresswell is the bloke in the office who just gets away with doing what he needs to from 9-5. No one knows much about what he does, or who he is. He’s Gregory in Finance. He won’t make a hot drink and you don’t notice he’s on holidays until Wednesday…

Not his fault that he started last night though.
Misko
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

One thing is undeniable, it is that 10 men West Ham is not an easy team to play against. This is very impressive.

I know it doesn't make it less sour, but there's definitely a nice core of team! :smiler: