UELSF: Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: ⚽ Eintracht Frankfurt v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Out of intrest, do the winners of the euro conference get a place in the euro league?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:34 pm Out of intrest, do the winners of the euro conference get a place in the euro league?
Yes, so worth trying to win for sure. The thing is, it could actually end up harder to win by the time you get to a similar point. This year beating Frankfurt and Rangers was worth a place in the Champions League…
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:37 pm Yes, so worth trying to win for sure. The thing is, it could actually end up harder to win by the time you get to a similar point. This year beating Frankfurt and Rangers was worth a place in the Champions League…
...after beating Sevilla who have an amazing record and Lyon, who used to qualify repeatedly for CL. too, though!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Just had a skim read of this thread, and there are some polarising opinions, which is par for the course.

Anyway, here's my take. Cresswell was a ****ing idiot. he had yet another European brain fart, and by the letter of the law, he deserved to be sent off. One sending off in Europe, yes, you could feel he's been hard done by - but that's twice, and it is something he will have have to deal with for the rest of his career. BUT - where were our CB's? It shouldn't be down to our LB to be at the centre of the penalty box being the last man and chasing a defender and being put in that position in the first place.

The game - even before the sending off, we were not all that. Pinging the balls out wide, pinging up to Antonio, he loses it, the ball comes back, and repeat.

We set up exactly the same as we did in the home leg - when we only managed to score one goal against them with 11 on the pitch - and our manager did nothing to change it up. By the time of their goal, personally I feel he should have just gone f*** it, gone three at the back and stuck Benny or Yarmo on. He also should have hooked Soucek and stuck Noble on too, as I like Tommy, but f*** me he was **** yesterday. A couple of times he should have been busting a gut running through the middle to make himself available, but he jogged up the pitch like an asthmatic pensioner - and speaking of people running up the pitch - why the hell was our captain, when we were chasing a goal, with Bowen attacking, jogging the opposite direction towards the centre circle whilst the ball was in play? Not the best performance from him tonight, and for the second game in a row, a bit of petulance from him. He wants to be a stalwart and and one of the best midfielders in the world, then games last night he should be leading by example, and trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck, but he did neither.

Sorry, but for me, poor decisions from the ref, and him being against us all night is not the reason why 10k hammers fans came home or are still coming home after last night's game of football disappointed - poor set-up decisions from our manager, only sticking an extra attacker on in the 88th minute, moment of madness from our left back, and too many players rinsing and repeating the same thing with little to no effect, as well as some luck-lustre performances is why we lost that game.

Our manager let himself down badly last night, especially with the ball booting incident that saw him sent off.

We pick ourselves up and go again, with a years more experience of the shithousery and learning curve of European football. Both players and managers did an absolutely wonderful job in getting us to where we were last night - and unfortunately, for the biggest game since 1976, these very same manager and players let us down when it mattered most.

Here's hoping we get Europe next season too - even if it is the conference -because the more we play these European sides, the better at it we will become.

But f*** me, what a ride this European adventure was - and everyone from coaching staff to manager to players should be rightfully proud - but that doesn't exonerate them for the almighty f*** up that last night was.

#DMCBA

:hamm:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:19 pm I’m not old enough for the first few and the final few are still horrible years later but this is worse IMO.

The FA Cup doesn’t materially change your club’s trajectory or self-perception. The League Cup certainly doesn’t. Winning a European wide trophy does, as does qualifying for the Champions League.

No way to know if we’d have beaten EF at full strength - they were no mugs, and the way they play is precisely the type of thing that causes us problems with other teams. But it’s the not knowing that stings. Get through that last night and we’re likely hosting CL football next season. No one would fancy their chances at taking on Rangers at Ibrox currently but a Morelos and Roofe-free version at a neutral venue? We’re winning that.
Yep
Agree with all of that
As mentioned already this is the lowest ever for me
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:53 pm ...after beating Sevilla who have an amazing record and Lyon, who used to qualify repeatedly for CL. too, though!
That’s why I said at a similar point…I meant the stage we’ve just been knocked out at…
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:26 pm Image

Now, there may be an argument to say that he isn't a CB and shouldn't have been selected to play there in the first place, but his vulnerability is an ongoing issue.
If Creswell's vulnerability is an ongoing issue (and I'm not saying I agree with that at all) the question has to be asked - why is the manager giving him that role?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Up the Junction wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:47 pm If Creswell's vulnerability is an ongoing issue (and I'm not saying I agree with that at all) the question has to be asked - why is the manager giving him that role?
The manager certainly needs to have a think about him playing in a 3. I would personally have gone for Diop in a 3. He is quicker and more useful on set plays.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

What can I say that hasn't already been said ? We're all gutted, we all can see we never ever had the depth of resources to compete on 4 fronts this season, but I also believe the majority don't feel the need for recriminations or too much criticism of the playing staff.

They pretty much en bloc, all season, have given us all they have got.We can debate how much one or two of them bring to the party in terms of making a difference, but in general terms they have all played their part in a cracking season, and all of them have run their socks off.

In truth we have only played well on 3 or 4 occasions since the turn of the year, but the away win against Lyon would be up there as the greatest night of my life. There was never much chance of lightening striking twice and Frankfurt were the very definition of hard working and professional. They played to their coaches orders, and beat us home and away. Congratulations to them.

Was it nice bumping in to mates I've stood near for 20 odd years, many with a bit of grit in their eye at full time, not really, but it's the price we pay for the choice we all made. If it's glory you want, do not apply here.

All of us though were proud of our little football club, and the biggest disappointment on the night was not being able to show our appreciation on full time to our own players for their magnificent efforts this season due to the Frankfurt fans lighting the fuse then running off home for their tea.

But we can thank them tomorrow at Norwich.

We're proud of you
We're proud of you
We're proud of you West Ham.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1917 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:23 pm ...the biggest disappointment on the night was not being able to show our appreciation on full time to our own players
How great is Vlad Coufal? The pop up ad shows him shirt off ignoring the pitch invasion and coming over to show his appreciation of us. He did the same in Lyon with their flag before the riot police got control. He could part the lot of them with a stare.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

-DL- wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:29 pm Just had a skim read of this thread, and there are some polarising opinions, which is par for the course.
Pretty much my take on it all too. Spot on.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sun May 08, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

So how many did we actually take to Frankfurt?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1917 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I'm still on a high.

Went to Norwich in some sort of nonchalant daze and can't concentrate on anything. My mind keeps drifting back to the woods.

Anyone else feel as useless?