UELSF: Eintracht Frankfurt 1-0 West Ham Utd (5/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: ⚽ Eintracht Frankfurt v West Ham United: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Xabbu wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 pm He gets targeted as a weakness same as teams do with TAA and Robertson. To some extent joao cancelo, it’s a trade off. Not a favourable one in this instance. They isolated him deliberately, Fredericks for all his weaknesses defends that easily imho.
Yes but TAA, Robertson and Cancelo make up for their defensive shortcomings by their attacking qualities

Cresswell is not an attacking full back. He can take a decent set piece but isn't exactly progressive
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 501 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Losing to Rangers in the final would be worse
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Xabbu wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 pm He gets targeted as a weakness same as teams do with TAA and Robertson. To some extent joao cancelo, it’s a trade off. Not a favourable one in this instance. They isolated him deliberately, Fredericks for all his weaknesses defends that easily imho.
Targeting Robertson, one of the world’s best left backs, doesn’t seem a particularly good strategy!
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:36 pm Yes but TAA, Robertson and Cancelo make up for their defensive shortcomings by their attacking qualities

Cresswell is not an attacking full back. He can take a decent set piece but isn't exactly progressive
I agree completely, but that’s the pond we are fishing in. We need to sign players like spence from forest and people of that ilk to have half a chance but they’ll go somewhere else no doubt. And yes I know he’s a RB just using him as an example
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:42 pm Targeting Robertson, one of the world’s best left backs, doesn’t seem a particularly good strategy!
I assume you didn’t watch the game on Tuesday. Or remember how we got in against them at Anfield.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Xabbu wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:07 pm 3 reasons why I struggle with the red. He was holding cresswell arguably fouling as well. He wasn’t in control of the ball so goal scoring opportunity whilst likely is still speculative. The ref gave a yellow. Was it really that clear and obvious?

Anyhow I can accept the defeat just so gutted the biggest game of my lifetime was destroyed by that. I’ve been numb all day. Still I’m going to the final and I’ll support our Scottish neighbours just like they always support us :chin:
Seems clear to me that UEFA would prefer us to lose, which is reflected in the refereeing.

British teams never get the benefit of the doubt from European referees.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9648 likes

Post by S-H »

Just like against Lyon, Cresswell gave the forward an excuse to go down, he didn't physically take either player down, far from it in fact, but he definitely made it easier for them to decieve the officials.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Xabbu wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:44 pm I assume you didn’t watch the game on Tuesday. Or remember how we got in against them at Anfield.
Yeah, but given overall performance levels of Liverpool it just isn’t a glaring weakness. He is certainly more sound defensively than his counterpart on the right. But TAA and Robertson are so effective on getting forward that their contributions are lopsidedly positive.

Cresswell has not been at his best since injuring his back for me. I reckon he will drop to the bench next season. The question is who do we replace him with? Hickey?
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

S-H wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:48 pm Just like against Lyon, Cresswell gave the forward an excuse to go down, he didn't physically take either player down, far from it in fact, but he definitely made it easier for them to decieve the officials.
Yeah, I think it is a misapplication of VAR. the officials HAS to be questioning whether there is enough contact to warrant a dive.
WestHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by WestHammer »

People are forgetful and harsh on Creswell. Up until he was injured he was one of the most productive players in the team. I'll agree he hasn't been at that level lately but the team has been lacklustre as a whole. I was surprised by his stamina for many games. A couple of years ago he kept getting found out but has been much better since then. We lost the Frankfurt game at the bowl and Fornals (who I love) made the error.

The red card against Lyon was reckless. I'm not sure what else he could have done yesterday, it should never have been him covering that player, way too tall. It was a wrestle from both. Potentially a red.

He has been a really great player for us and part of getting us through to great seasons. If you think you feel **** right now it won't be anything like he is.

I did wonder given the Lyon away game if Moyes would have gone with Johnson instead of Cresswell, and I would have gone with that but Frankfurt were clearly better than Lyon and Johnson didn't do that well when he came on.

Yea have a go at Moyes and board for not strengthening but not Cresswell.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I shudder to think how many Man City would put past Frankfurt, home or away, at least 4, I reckon
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:08 pm I shudder to think how many Man City would put past Frankfurt, home or away, at least 4, I reckon
They are a lot better than you think. They are in a false league position as they have prioritised he Europa.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3197 likes

Post by WCpete »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:08 pm I shudder to think how many Man City would put past Frankfurt, home or away, at least 4, I reckon
Bodes well for us on the 15th then.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

We had our chances, even last night with 10. We really should have scored a few more over the course of the tie.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

I haven't followed this thread, just the last page, so I might be repeating what others have said.....
It wasn't too long ago that, at this stage of the season we would be trying to work out where we might scramble the points together to avoid relegation. To see us in the semi final of the Europa League, narrowly beaten by the team I'd tip to lift the trophy, still in the mix for European competition next year, and with our best manager since John Lyall. Despite losing, I'm still massively proud of the team and manager. The squad was too thin - which isn't a criticism of Moyes; we've played 50+ games with a small squad and smaller group of quality "second string" players and it just got too much. I just hope we can put last night behind us, get behind the whole team (especially Cresswell) and secure the points needed for another European tour next year.

And if we do, and the owners don't give Moyes to war chest to *really* strengthen.....
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:10 pm They are a lot better than you think. They are in a false league position as they have prioritised he Europa.
Not really
They have been down in mid table all season
They are the quality of an upper mid-table German side, which is probably equivalent of mid-table Premier League side

What they do have is a bit more European experience, but not that much
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Right from the beginning of the game, even before going down to 10 men, you could see that our passing - yet again - was very sloppy. A combination of fatigue, nerves, miscommunication, and poor decision making. We've been like that for quite some time now. At the moment there's been a collective loss of mojo. If I had to find one word to describe our performances this year, I'd say 'tired'. They're still putting the miles in but mentally, they're very very jaded. End of season can't come soon enough for them now.
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Just seen the Declan vent in the tunnel, nobody should be punished for speaking the truth.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

honkytonk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:13 pm We had our chances, even last night with 10. We really should have scored a few more over the course of the tie.
Yes, we should've done. I have re-lived that Bowen bicycle moment at the LS a couple of times. He was desperately unlucky that did not hit Trapp on his head on the way down and into the net and I wonder had we signed Origi in January would he have anticipated that and poke in the re-bound ? and then, there was Souceks very late header, which I was about to shout GOAL. For a moment, I thought it was in and expected to see the players wheel away in celebration. There was also Bowen's running in on goal at the LS, when Fornals's pass had opened them up. Bowen should've scored there. I know they hit they hit the woodwork a couple of times too but in the end it is all elementary
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:36 pm Cresswell is not an attacking full back. He can take a decent set piece but isn't exactly progressive
Yep. He’s only got one more assist than Craig Dawson this season. And one fewer than crocked, second album syndrome Coufal.