Norwich City 0-4 West Ham Utd (7/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Re: ⚽ Norwich City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Sloop John B »

A massive game today....really feared that we'd start to crumble to dust and end up looking back at this season as a food memory rather than our a first big step into the big wide world.

Norwich were terrible but you play what's in front of you and the application and attitude were spot on.

Fully game on now for the final two games, qualify for Europe for two seasons on the bounce via league places...that's not something to be sniffed at at all!!
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Good stuff, didn’t have a great feeling today and our 3-0 win over Forest in 91/92 when we were already totally dead and buried came into my mind for some reason. Pleased for Beni
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:32 pm 2 clean sheets for every 9 games.

A rather clear example of an area for future improvement.
That is a surprising stat. Just looked and we've conceded 46 goals this season. Which would suggest we don't concede that many but normally at least once a game.
frankiemac 69
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by frankiemac 69 »

Jabsco79 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:27 pm Good stuff, didn’t have a great feeling today and our 3-0 win over Forest in 91/92 when we were already totally dead and buried came into my mind for some reason. Pleased for Beni
Was on the North Bank that day when Frankie scored his hat trick.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cracking atmosphere today. About as positive as you could hope for after Thursday. It was a half hour drive from my mum and dad’s, so the ease of the whole day really felt like a treat for me.

Lovely ground, top class stewarding, likeable club. I felt sorry for their fans. You could tell they are despondent about the state of their club. We’ve been there before.

They might be the worst Prem side I’ve seen unfortunately. Every attack was like a training drill. One forward makes a run and the one behind is left in acres of space. We could have scored 6 or 7.

Some great moments with Moyes, Nobes and Dec at the final whistle. You can tell Dec loves it here and knows we are a special bunch. We must build around him this summer. We have a couple of special players and a few more very good ones. We are not far off. We just need some precise and strong recruitment in half a dozen places this summer.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:13 pm Lovely ground, top class stewarding, likeable club. I felt sorry for their fans. You could tell they are despondent about the state of their club. We’ve been there before.
I think Norwich are well run on the whole - they consistently punch above their weight. Fair enough, they have failed to consolidate in the league. But it isn't easy for a non cash-doped team their size to do so.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 pm I think Norwich are well run on the whole - they consistently punch above their weight. Fair enough, they have failed to consolidate in the league. But it isn't easy for a non cash-doped team their size to do so.
I’d imagine their business model is very sound. Go up, rake in the money, go down and come back up with parachute payments.

But the fans are clearly bored of the complete lack of ambition once they reach the Prem. They’ll probably win the league again next year.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

A nice comfortable win. The attack knocked it about well, and the defence were rarely troubled save Fabianskis butter fingers.

Norwich were awful. It seemed like a training match at times. Loads of space for our players and not enough desire from theirs. We could have scored more had we wanted, but it seemed clear we were happy with 4.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:17 pm I’d imagine their business model is very sound. Go up, rake in the money, go down and come back up with parachute payments.

But the fans are clearly bored of the complete lack of ambition once they reach the Prem. They’ll probably win the league again next year.
It’s the Catch-22 of modern football sadly.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:32 pm 2 clean sheets for every 9 games.

A rather clear example of an area for future improvement.
Drill down - we are top 6 for goals scored both home and away, and a surprisingly respectable 7th on goals conceded on the road.

At home, we are 15th, yet have only conceded more than 1 since the Leeds debacle, and that was in the absence of our centre backs and Soucek v Arsenal.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

Declan looked like Rio when he went to centreback, read the game won tackles and brought the ball out with so much confidence. He really is some player
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

waynepin wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:43 pm Declan looked like Rio when he went to centreback, read the game won tackles and brought the ball out with so much confidence. He really is some player
Maybe instead of signing a defender….. :lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:40 pm Drill down - we are top 6 for goals scored both home and away, and a surprisingly respectable 7th on goals conceded on the road.

At home, we are 15th, yet have only conceded more than 1 since the Leeds debacle, and that was in the absence of our centre backs and Soucek v Arsenal.
Don't get me wrong; I am actually fairly confident that we can improve in terms of defensive matters.

I take heart from the fact that the two most vital matches (Sevilla home and Lyon away) were massively informed by the solid as a rock defence that played in them.

There is also the mitigation that Ogbonna and Zouma have been injured (more than once).
Great-yarmouth-iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Great-yarmouth-iron »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:13 pm Cracking atmosphere today. About as positive as you could hope for after Thursday. It was a half hour drive from my mum and dad’s, so the ease of the whole day really felt like a treat for me.

Lovely ground, top class stewarding, likeable club. I felt sorry for their fans. You could tell they are despondent about the state of their club. We’ve been there before.

They might be the worst Prem side I’ve seen unfortunately. Every attack was like a training drill. One forward makes a run and the one behind is left in acres of space. We could have scored 6 or 7.

Some great moments with Moyes, Nobes and Dec at the final whistle. You can tell Dec loves it here and knows we are a special bunch. We must build around him this summer. We have a couple of special players and a few more very good ones. We are not far off. We just need some precise and strong recruitment in half a dozen places this summer.
Did you see Dec have a giggle to himself before the second half kicked off with the your sha**ing your sister chant he and the whole team was loving every minute of today. :scarfer:
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Got in from a 3 hour drive home to be pleasantly surprised with a thumping win when I checked out the highlights.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Nice to hear Cresswell get some support

Nice easy game in the sun

Gonna be tough to get 6th
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Doyley72 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:14 pm Yes but I've been following my club for a very very long time...Brighton will be tough and we ain't getting anything from City...3 points would be great out of them two games ..but you know Manure will get the decisions and the points against Palace...I really hope I'm wrong, but I've been round the block too many times to know what is gonna happen ⚒
Mmmm you do suspect the Mancs will have the full might of the Premier League with them at Palace, no doubt at least one dubious penalty and Palace hit with a couple of VAR sillies…. Having said that would that be enough ?
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Apart from the injuries today, the only negative in the match for me was that Fabianski flap on their disallowed goal. Even if the sun was in his eyes, my goodness that was a fumble and a half.
hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

1895Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:28 pm Mmmm you do suspect the Mancs will have the full might of the Premier League with them at Palace, no doubt at least one dubious penalty and Palace hit with a couple of VAR sillies…. Having said that would that be enough ?
If we do the business against Citeh and Brighton then a minimum of a 12 goal swing would need to be engineered to put MU above us so no problem there - although I'm sure then the powers that be will be running a fine tooth comb over all our player contracts - particularly Kral as there must be something dodgy there...
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

hammerofthedogs wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 pm If we do the business against Citeh and Brighton then a minimum of a 12 goal swing would need to be engineered to put MU above us so no problem there - although I'm sure then the powers that be will be running a fine tooth comb over all our player contracts - particularly Kral as there must be something dodgy there...
Maybe UEFA just accelerate the plan to ensure their favourites qualify irrelevant of performance, after all the PL through Scudamore are on record with the comment the Mancs need to be in the Champions League to protect the brand 🙄