Norwich City 0-4 West Ham Utd (7/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: ⚽ Norwich City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Where can I watch this? I've been out all day and so missed it (It's not gone unnoticed that we always win when this happens)
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:17 pm I’d imagine their business model is very sound. Go up, rake in the money, go down and come back up with parachute payments.

But the fans are clearly bored of the complete lack of ambition once they reach the Prem. They’ll probably win the league again next year.
Their owners have, in footballing terms, pretty much no money, I think it's about £25 million, less than one Vlasic, so it's more a reality than a choice. I think they spent a relatively high amount in the summer.

Delighted with the win today, shows good mental strength. Norwich are obviously not premier league quality, but they have stepped up in a few games so couldn't be too cocky.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Having watched just the highlights, any news on Dawson?

I hate those sloping areas at the ends of pitches.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Collison Theory wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:32 pm Their owners have, in footballing terms, pretty much no money, I think it's about £25 million, less than one Vlasic, so it's more a reality than a choice. I think they spent a relatively high amount in the summer.

Delighted with the win today, shows good mental strength. Norwich are obviously not premier league quality, but they have stepped up in a few games so couldn't be too cocky.
This is a genuine question as I'm no expert on Prem/Norwich finances. But how can they possibly have no money to use when they are alternating between Prem money and parachute payments?

Coupled with what I assume is a low wage structure, where does that money go?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

smuts wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:37 pm Having watched just the highlights, any news on Dawson?

I hate those sloping areas at the ends of pitches.
He's fine but the pitch hoarding has got a broken collar bone, six cracked ribs and a banging headache. :muscle:
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:45 pm This is a genuine question as I'm no expert on Prem/Norwich finances. But how can they possibly have no money to use when they are alternating between Prem money and parachute payments?

Well yeah, they have that money, but every other team has similar/higher income, plus owners with hundreds of millions of pounds. Norwich have to pretty much balance the books every time.

Basically wages. Their wage structure might be relatively low, but that's by premier league standards, which are still extremely high.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Off topic a bit, but I don't think there are many clubs in the championship who haven't or are currently received Parachute payments.

Its more skewed now than the Premier League
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1564 likes

Post by alf git »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:00 pm He's fine but the pitch hoarding has got a broken collar bone, six cracked ribs and a banging headache. :muscle:
:crylol:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I see Byram picked up his obligatory yellow card.

That bloke is an awful footballer.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Stat.

Since March 2020 Michail Antonio has scored more goals at Carrow Road than any other Norwich player....

Except for Pukki.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:45 pm This is a genuine question as I'm no expert on Prem/Norwich finances. But how can they possibly have no money to use when they are alternating between Prem money and parachute payments?

Rough numbers...
Finishing bottom gets you around 90m
You are then paid 40m for your first season in the Championship, 35m for your second and around 15m in your third. If you come back up, those payments stop.

They would get somewhere between 2m and 4m for their season in the Championship too, so over two seasons (with a rough guess on ticket sales thrown in) they will have had around 150m coming in.

Their wage bill in 2022 was reported to be around 30m
They spent a reported 60m in transfers but sold around 30m worth of players so a net of 30m

Their owners seem to just run it 'correctly', and no doubt make a tidy profit each year. They don't go chasing 80m players or rack up 100m wages bills that they can't afford to pay and they clearly don't put everything that is generated back into the club.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

I like Norwich; we always win with a clean sheet; we have bought players like Asthon and Green from them; they have bought the likes of Jarvis and Hugill from us (y)
Last edited by norse on Mon May 09, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Yep, going by those rough numbers, you can see why Norwich fans have got the pox with it. They’re probably fatigued by the cycle at this point.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

We really needed that win after a terrible week last week. Hopefully that sees us back in European competition next season. We got the job done but Norwich were pretty terrible, I feel bad for their fans as they get shafted by their board year after year but don’t really have the backbone to do anything about it (although I did see they staged a bit of a protest outside the ground after the game which me and my son got caught up in).

Nice home away day for me and their fans are generally a good lot. Hope they come back up again but if they do they need good investment and planning if they want to break the ‘yo-yo’ cycle.

A good day in the sun and a 4-0 win, can’t be bad.
Last edited by steps on Mon May 09, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

S-H wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:34 am I see Byram picked up his obligatory yellow card.

That bloke is an awful footballer.
Was surprised to see him at CB. Anyone know if that's a regular thing or was he filling in?

When we signed him, the whispers were that he was a FB who couldn't defend, so was more likely to end up a winger given time!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Let's face it. Norwich, pretty shitty, weren't they?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

It was a very professional performance by the team and coaches. I thought Lanzini and Rice were exceptional. To be fair, I believe we have been pretty unfortunate over the past 3- or 4-weeks dropping points to both Chelsea and Arsenal that could easily have been 4 or 6 points to us and losing our place in the European Final. It's all been about fine margins, but that's football for you. Still have to give Noble a splendid send off and something to play for in the last game of the season. It's not been such a bad season, :winker: has it?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

As previously asked : anyone got a handy link to highlights of this? (Was travelling back from the Frankfurt fun)
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

e17 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:11 am As previously asked : anyone got a handy link to highlights of this? (Was travelling back from the Frankfurt fun)
I'm sure there might be better out there, but it's a start.

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/no ... hlights-2/

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Top man S-H, thank you