West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (15/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 pm What I really want to happen is for Villa to somehow beat City, but for Wolves to go up to Anfield and equalise with the last kick of the match.

Oh and for Real to tear 'em a new one, too, for good measure.

But welcome to the forum, nonetheless!
Imagine Gerrard accidentally stopped them getting the title :lol: :lol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

SkyBlue wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:43 pm CBut as much as I wish you well most of the time, the draw at the weekend means the possibility of another anxious final day for City like the one against QPR ten years ago, so I'd have been a lot happier if Mahrez had scored that penalty.
My mate at work said the same. He now has to sit through the Liverpool v Southampton game and then potentially the final game of the season and while confident, he pre-dates the money years so still has no expectation as anything could happen.

And Wellkumb to the forum :newthumb:
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:28 pm How is it nonsensical? He came up through their youth team, played hundreds of games for them (as a main player in the Dream Team) and had a few years where he essentially moved down a level as he couldn’t hack it there any more.

He then became a coach there, worked his way up to manager and out together their best ever team.

Most players do not have the luxury of staying at one club for their whole careers even if they want to.
In an 18 year career he spent 4 of them playing for 5 different clubs including 2 spells at Brescia and played in Serie A for Roma, making 74 appearances for other teams.
But as you say, he’s a 1 club man. Ffs.
SkyBlue
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by SkyBlue »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 pm What I really want to happen is for Villa to somehow beat City, but for Wolves to go up to Anfield and equalise with the last kick of the match.
And if that happens i won't be posting here again, or doing anything else again.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

What I want is Man. City to be about 4 to the good inside 20 minutes and Wolves to be about 2 up and comfortable early on. That way the drama of their big final day becomes null and void.

Then we won't have to suffer the pants round their ankles, pulling themselves round the studio while flipping from one ground to the other in a hyper state they only care about.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Hammer.CA wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:58 pm In an 18 year career he spent 4 of them playing for 5 different clubs including 2 spells at Brescia and played in Serie A for Roma, making 74 appearances for other teams.
But as you say, he’s a 1 club man. Ffs.
I said in a meaningful sense. FFS they even talk about him returning to the club as the president!

Messi is pretty much a one club man, but economics prevented him from doing so.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Anthony Taylors performance was the worst I can remember since I started going to games in March 1967.....
Maybe being born in greater Manchester should be a barrier to refereeing games with sides from the area??
Great day and send off for Nobes though!! :hamm:
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Certainly Moss v Arsenal & Taylor yesterday performed terribly. I've never subscribed to the corruption / conspiracy theories until these recent officiating performances, but the regularity & obviousness of bias to me is increasing. I just couldn't believe some of the decisions yesterday.....

We have Premier League clubs populated with staff, managers & players from all over the world, our game is broadcast to the world, but a cadre of "professional referees" all from England, many of whom couldn't handle a game on Hackney Marshes or Wanstead Flats on a Sunday morning. If it is a professional body, why oh why does it not introduce some of the top notch refs from Europe? We've had some great refs in our Europa games this season (a dodgy one or two as well....) Perhaps it is a circular argument and there really is a conspiracy and perhaps a move to try to improve the standard of refs would flush this out?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Whether its conscious or unconscious bias, most of the Premier League Referee's favour the 'bigger' club. Their quality has really deteriorated over the past 10 years or so. Whilst they are protected from being held to account for their decisions it will not improve.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:29 pm What I want is Man. City to be about 4 to the good inside 20 minutes and Wolves to be about 2 up and comfortable early on. That way the drama of their big final day becomes null and void.

Then we won't have to suffer the pants round their ankles, pulling themselves round the studio while flipping from one ground to the other in a hyper state they only care about.
Meanwhile Man U are getting thumped by Palarse and we are putting our Brighton bogey to bed big style!!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

eastsider wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:54 pm Anthony Taylors performance was the worst I can remember since I started going to games in March 1967.....
I'm not arguing with you, but was he as bad as that one vs Arsenal, who booked a player for getting out of the way of a studs up danger tackle?
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Who knows what success would do to our fan base. I would say City’s lot appreciate where they’ve come from and what incredible heights they’ve risen to.

Must be weird seeing 2nd as a failure. I don’t envy that dilemma. Missing out on CL success and the possibility of not dominating every other comp is not something we will be familiar with.

I still enjoy the surprise of a good result here and there. :hamm:
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 pm I said in a meaningful sense. FFS they even talk about him returning to the club as the president!

Roma, one of the biggest teams in Italy are meaningless.
Who knew?
jammys78
Total likes: 1 like

Post by jammys78 »

As anyone got the link to the full game vs City?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 pm I said in a meaningful sense. FFS they even talk about him returning to the club as the president!

love him to death, not his fault I know when the contract was dangled in front of him, but let's not pretend that the economics involved were not in the most part, created by the man himself.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 pm Messi is pretty much a one club man, but economics prevented him from doing so.
That makes it sound like Messi had to move to keep a roof over his head and food on the table. He moved because he wanted to.

Noble is a one man club, no 'pretty much' about it. I don't understand why Pep and Leo are even in the conversation.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

jastons wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:04 pm That makes it sound like Messi had to move to keep a roof over his head and food on the table. He moved because he wanted to.

Noble is a one man club, no 'pretty much' about it. I don't understand why Pep and Leo are even in the conversation.
no, he actually offered to stay and play for free.

BUT.

they were in such an enormous black hole financially, that apart from the fact that La Liga prohibits that, he was paid such a huge financial wage packet that even at 50% which was the limit I believe allowed, the club couldn't fit him in their equivalent of FFP.

as I pointed out above, he was a huge reason they were in the mess that they were in.
I'm sure though, that all professional footballers, when a contract is stuck in front of them, don't actually bother to ask "How will this affect the club financially if I sign this ?"
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Agree to an extent Cuenca but given what he won for them and earned for them I think he was good value. The fees and wages on losers like Griezmann, Dembele, Umtiti etc etc is what ****ed them

I get what people are saying like yeah obviously players like Pep, Gerrard, Iniesta aren’t technically ‘one club players’ but the fact they only left their first clubs when they were passed it I know what people are saying. Noble would probably have gone for a last pay day if he was a prominent enough player on a world stage
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

jammys78 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:08 pm As anyone got the link to the full game vs City?
https://fullmatchesreplay.net/2022/05/1 ... -may-2022/
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

D C wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:00 pm Agree to an extent Cuenca but given what he won for them and earned for them I think he was good value. The fees and wages on losers like Griezmann, Dembele, Umtiti etc etc is what ****ed them
cannot disagree at all. one of my all time favourite players. (being my age of course, there are quite a few I've been privileged to see, both live and on the telly).

and as I say, no professional player signing a huge contract would question the finances involved at the time.

complete mismanagement at the very top level. and it's not always the transfer fees involved (which I cannot discount of course) but the ridiculous wages paid to these players.

madness. but someone thought it was sustainable.

and that someone was an idiot.

one big drawback of clubs that have Presidents who run (not unlike politicians) on promises that sound really brilliant to the voters but cannot be fulfilled. or they can at a huge cost of course.

just wait until future Americans try to pay the tab on the spending of the last decade or so. but that topic belongs of course on NUMB.

mentioned this somewhere else but posted on the Beeb's website today.

23-year-old Kylian M'Bappe contract expires this summer and BBC Sport reported in April he had agreed terms with Real Madrid.

PSG were prepared to offer the forward a 150m euros signing-on fee to keep him at the club for another two seasons.

actually it was 100M signing on fee and 50M wages per. how on earth is THAT sustainable for TWO YEARS ?