West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (15/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by Albie Beck »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 pm I saw it. Definitely looked like he could have been fouled, and if so that it was prior to the penalty incident.

Can guarantee that it wasn't even looked at.
I saw it too, and couldn't believe there was no look, or even a mention in commentary - if only to say "it was just a coming together"...

At least it didn't matter in the end.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

D C wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:00 pm Agree to an extent Cuenca but given what he won for them and earned for them I think he was good value. The fees and wages on losers like Griezmann, Dembele, Umtiti etc etc is what ****ed them

I get what people are saying like yeah obviously players like Pep, Gerrard, Iniesta aren’t technically ‘one club players’ but the fact they only left their first clubs when they were passed it I know what people are saying. Noble would probably have gone for a last pay day if he was a prominent enough player on a world stage
Exactly. All I meant in the first place was, as a quasi one club man, Pep could appreciate Noble’s achievement and how big a day it was for him.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'm not sure that he would have started out the conversation with

I know exactly how you feel having been with Barca for so long....... maybe he DID say, I know how great a feeling it is that you have played for your boyhood club, or something like that.

I just think he congratulated him on a great career, wished him well, and wished him a very happy retirement and that he'd earned it. look at how he interacted with Big Mike..playfully cuffed him and pushed him away at first, we all assume it was for giving his players such a hard time, but then cracked a great big smile and a big hug. look at Antonio's reaction.

that's honestly Pep, I believe, being Pep.

if you really want two great reads, it's his biographies. when he went to Bayern he insisted on players having dinner together after games. and that they brought their families with them.

not only that, but his first interview with the German media (iirc) he conducted it in fluent German.

and I also think when he did say whatever he said, it was honestly 100% from the heart. that's just my thoughts on it.

and probably way wide of the Mark (pun intended)

:crylol:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Yeah - a very Spanish approach. That said, it is the same approach Jim McLean used at Dundee United. Wonder if Moyes has a bit of that going on at the club now. Remember the much derided USA trip when we were in relegation bother?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:03 am Yeah - a very Spanish approach. That said, it is the same approach Jim McLean used at Dundee United. Wonder if Moyes has a bit of that going on at the club now. Remember the much derided USA trip when we were in relegation bother?
very much so..

iirc you published loads of photos from your phone that you took while getting Moyesey a couple of beers from the bar !!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:07 am very much so..

iirc you published loads of photos from your phone that you took while getting Moyesey a couple of beers from the bar !!!!!!!!!!!

:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
I’ll never forget that inflatable giant sausage at the pool kindly donated by David Sullivan!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:02 am I’ll never forget that inflatable giant sausage at the pool kindly donated by David Sullivan!
He was just pleased to see you... :wink: