West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (15/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by hammerman11 »

Thats not what he was called yesterday !
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:09 am God forbid a team outside the super 6 have a good player or 2. They must leave immediately.
I’d rather the BBC lost their licence fee and stopped employing nonce DJ’s than worry about transfer gossip
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:53 am Or he's just not that finisher, because he's working so so hard for the team.
Either way my point stills stands… doesn’t matter why he’s not that finisher.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

rigoberts song wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:20 am It's all the leftie pc agenda they keep peddling I can't stand I don't have or buy a TV licence .
As for them suggesting Bowen move what a f. ..liberty
Great result yesterday and keeps it tantalising poised re Europa.
It's not exclusively MOTD though is it rigoberts? I think it's worse coming from the national broadcaster(of who I'm a big fan MOTD aside) but the media in general are Top 6 crazy and for some reason seem to overlook the fact that football, certainly as I remember it, was always better, more interesting/exciting when, OK there were always the big successful clubs, at the start of each season there was a chance of one or two surprise teams. Much less of an Us and Them than we're clearly subjected to now.
It's all so very very dull.

Apart from yer mighty Hammers of course :winker:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

What a fantastic game to finish our home season games, excitement, goals and an emotional send off to a club legend, great day.

Now, let's go finish off the season with a win at Brighton. Whatever happens now it has been a great season and European football to look forward to again :scarfer:
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

arlhe wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:21 pm Great final game of the season that I thoroughly enjoyed, despite Taylor. Sort of summed up the season.

I'm in row 10, middle of block 148 and didn't see any banner? Perhaps my eyesight is even worse than I realised...
I am in row 13 and the front of it reached row 14 so if you didn't have any reason to turn around you wouldn't have seen it.I only noticed due to the sound of the flapping and the shadow as it came forward
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just watched the game back and it has to be said Manchester City are a fantastic side. Some of their pin point passing, control and movement is extraordinary. Every single player can pass the ball through thr eye of a needle

Thankfully for us they can't defend for **** without Dias!

We were superb tbf from front to back against one of the best sides that has played the game
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I think we all knew it wasn't the end of it at half time. The game really reminded me of when were 3-0 up against Arsenal last season and easily gave away the lead. I feel like we almost have this 'imposter syndrome' whenever we go a couple goals up against a decent side.

That said, it's still a really brilliant point.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Not defending the ref at all I thought he was appalling but he didn’t initially give the penalty (which I suppose is consistent as it was a penalty). He gave a goal kick before it went to VAR, but you just knew when it was asked to be looked at on the pitch side monitor he’d give it in a heartbeat.

In the game I thought we were brilliant (first half especially), but City were a different animal in the second half and we done well to come away with a point, I’d of taken a point before the game so in fairness I’m not that disappointed with the result.

Fantastic and a very fitting send off for Nobes. I was fearing that City might of mauled us like they did Wolves during the week and how would it bode for Noble’s farewell after the game, but thankfully we got a result and that’s all credit down to Moyes and the team. I think we defended brilliantly and Antonio being our only outball hustled their defence very well, I agree with the other poster who said how dangerous would we be if Antonio played in a front two with a pacy striker.

Bowen was sensational. I know Rice got HOTY but in all honesty I think it’s a toss-up between those two, and Bowen has turned into a fine PL player in a short space of time.

All on Sunday now and I think we can go there and get the win, just depends on Palace but if we do end up with the Conference League there’ll be no grumbling from me as it’s been a very eventful and enjoyable season.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:18 am Just watched the game back and it has to be said Manchester City are a fantastic side. Some of their pin point passing, control and movement is extraordinary. Every single player can pass the ball through thr eye of a needle

Thankfully for us they can't defend for **** without Dias!

We were superb tbf from front to back against one of the best sides that has played the game
Ain't half boring though.

Technically superior to everyone they play with their billion dollar squad so just pass and control the horizontal f*** out of the opposition until they are knackered enough that you can overload it for the tap in.

I get that it's probably a lot of fun for their fans to watch them win every week, but it must be a bit embarrassing to turn up and know you are going to put 4 or 5 past the other team every week whilst having 80% of the ball.

They've completely collapsed an already ruined league. f*** Man City.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Sticky wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:58 am How come the people who work for Sky are allowed to listen to what's happening over VAR - but Joe Public aren't? Hmmmmm....

It's the WWF all over again.

Mooooody.
Recently went on a stadium tour with Tony Gale as host and he explained that when he's commentating (most games) he has the live VAR feed in his ear. It's basically so that the commentator can explain it to the listeners/viewers
Crouchend_Hammer

I don't think they are boring personally
Yes, they are dominant, which can make things one-sided, but some of their passing is unbelievably good. The way they can dissect packed defences (good defences) in tight spaces is mind boggling at times. The full backs can't defend and end up all over the pitch!

They don't have much choice in how they play given every team sits back for 90 minutes!

I don't particularly like them much as a football club though
Crouchend_Hammer

goa127 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:45 am Recently went on a stadium tour with Tony Gale as host and he explained that when he's commentating (most games) he has the live VAR feed in his ear. It's basically so that the commentator can explain it to the listeners/viewers
I don't think the commentators can hear the actual discussions taking place whilst the decisions are being made but are made aware if VAR are looking at something, and i think they get clarification at the end
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Played Irons..
Great Day all round,everyone played well.
Hopefully Palace nick a point next week,but think they are more than capable of winning..we treat next week like a cup final,we can easily do
a very good Brighton side,because as good as they are,we're better...simple.

Also make yesterday a win/win,we give city the point helps them win the League maybe,and the point against them gets us a Europa place.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Just a bit of a shame city's two goals were a deflection and an og.
Bloody lucky really.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:30 pm I think we're going to give them a massive scare.

It'll be the same sort of game as Liverpool and Chelsea earlier in the season I reckon - both sides going for it, their obvious superior quality negated a little by their lack of defenders and our home advantage. Noble won't start, surely, but I reckon that'll help the atmosphere too. Could see us losing it 2-3 or something like that.
Pleased I didn't put any money on this or I'd be sending Fab an invoice right now.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:08 am Just a bit of a shame city's two goals were a deflection and an og.
Bloody lucky really.
But any team peppering your goal like that will get those goals. There were two others that could have deflected anywhere, but luckily went wide.

I guess the Bowen one that hit La Porte could equally have flown in.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

BigFatSam wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:30 pm Antonio would be fantastic in a 2 man striker partnership. If we didn’t need to rely on him to finish chances, which lets be honest he isn’t good at, we’d enjoy him for what he does best, creating mayhem.
He already is. Bowen reaps the benefits of Antonio's hard work.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "but he doesn't score, a real 9 would have finished that..." he occupied 4 defenders at times yesterday and scared the life out of them. That gave Bowen the room to make the (direct) impact.

We really need to appreciate what our players do and how this fits in with the wider team rather than focusing on individuals and their individuals flaws.

Anyone coming in for Antonio will come with flaws as well.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Bowen in Team of the Week

Bowen makes the team, so naturally Crooks talks about Fernandinho under Bowen's name.