West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (15/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by ChzMff »

A fantastic game of football that had pretty much everything, ending with a good send-off for the skipper.

Antonio was unbelievable. I don't think there's a player like him in the whole league. Fornals worked his absolute nads off with a quite wonderful ball for Bowen's first which was an incredible finish from a tight angle. We played some super stuff at times, particularly that move where Soucek headed it down to Bowen. A great way to end the season at home and a performance that summed up all that is good about us.

As Crouchend says, Man City are just superb. It's not just how comfortable each player is on the ball and their first touch but how they swarm you as soon as you have it. Grealish must have had a rocket up his arse at half time as he was proper on it second half and largely had Coufal on toast.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:23 pm He came up through Barcelona youth and played the vast majority of his days there. He played at some other clubs when he was past it but he is still a one-club man in a meaningful sense.
Even by your ridiculous standards, that is one nonsensical comment.
At least you’re consistent, as proven by your comments during the game yesterday.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:36 am Bowen in Team of the Week

Bowen makes the team, so naturally Crooks talks about Fernandinho under Bowen's name.
Still, there's a little fun to be had in picking your own Team of the Week for this week :scarfer:

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Benrahma had a great game, for sure...
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:05 pm Benrahma had a great game, for sure...
Didn't give the ball away once...
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:05 pm Benrahma had a great game, for sure...
Must have gained a lot of confidence from playing in front of Declan Rice and Declan Rice tbf.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Hammer.CA wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 am Even by your ridiculous standards, that is one nonsensical comment.
At least you’re consistent, as proven by your comments during the game yesterday.
How is it nonsensical? He came up through their youth team, played hundreds of games for them (as a main player in the Dream Team) and had a few years where he essentially moved down a level as he couldn’t hack it there any more.

He then became a coach there, worked his way up to manager and out together their best ever team.

Most players do not have the luxury of staying at one club for their whole careers even if they want to.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:22 pm Must have gained a lot of confidence from playing in front of Declan Rice and Declan Rice tbf.
The Rice Rice Baby formation?
MB

Post by MB »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm The Rice Rice Baby formation?
Rice, Rice Benny...
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:41 pm The Rice Rice Baby formation?
Rice Rice maybe
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

MB wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:33 am He already is. Bowen reaps the benefits of Antonio's hard work.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "but he doesn't score, a real 9 would have finished that..." he occupied 4 defenders at times yesterday and scared the life out of them. That gave Bowen the room to make the (direct) impact.

We really need to appreciate what our players do and how this fits in with the wider team rather than focusing on individuals and their individuals flaws.

Anyone coming in for Antonio will come with flaws as well.
Antonio is unique, his physical power and ability to bully top quality defenders is central to our play, ideally you’d add a left side Bowen and have a front 3 equal to pretty much anything, including Citeh and Liverpool.
But…. Michail is 32 and as we’ve seen this year 2 games a week severely lowers his output. So the question for Moyes is if there is a younger clone out there ( not seen one so far) or do we bring in an alternative style that changes the shape a bit. I suspect it’s the latter and given the rumoured interest in another quality midfielder maybe Moyes is moving more towards 4 3 3 with someone like Phillips in midfield alongside Rice and Soucek, and a more mobile interchanging front 3, which could be 3 forwards, or could be 2 with a Fornals type behind them.
Antonio on the bench to wreak havoc against tiring defences in the last 20 minutes would be a very interesting option.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Gary P.

Thanks for the PM mate. :newthumb:
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:40 am
I get that it's probably a lot of fun for their fans to watch them win every week, but it must be a bit embarrassing to turn up and know you are going to put 4 or 5 past the other team every week whilst having 80% of the ball.
They've played us 3 times this season and only scored 4 (normal time) altogether.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

We are so stubborn, so awkward , so determined, so obstinate.......so motivated and organised.

But always dangerous......and that puts people in fear of us.

I never go into any game, against anyone, fearing we will get thumped.

And I'm mighty proud of having that feeling.

:hamm: :lover:
MB

Post by MB »

1895Hammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:48 pm Antonio is unique, his physical power and ability to bully top quality defenders is central to our play, ideally you’d add a left side Bowen and have a front 3 equal to pretty much anything, including Citeh and Liverpool.
But…. Michail is 32 and as we’ve seen this year 2 games a week severely lowers his output. So the question for Moyes is if there is a younger clone out there ( not seen one so far) or do we bring in an alternative style that changes the shape a bit. I suspect it’s the latter and given the rumoured interest in another quality midfielder maybe Moyes is moving more towards 4 3 3 with someone like Phillips in midfield alongside Rice and Soucek, and a more mobile interchanging front 3, which could be 3 forwards, or could be 2 with a Fornals type behind them.
Antonio on the bench to wreak havoc against tiring defences in the last 20 minutes would be a very interesting option.
I agree with all of that mate. He has a shelf life and there has to be a long-term solution. I tend to agree with the rest of what you have written as well (though more for the transfer thread where those difficult questions are being debated).

My initial post was more about the immediate. A number of comments on this thread and over the last few weeks have pulled up Antonio for his lack of goal scoring like it was significantly holding us back. Not longer term; now!

Comments like "if we had a goal scorer upfront we'd be 4th" which TBH I find disrespectful given how key some of Antonio's non- goal scoring performances have been.

He didn't score yesterday, but I'd go as far to say if he wasn't upfront we'd have got nothing from that game.

New whipping boy Soucek played a massive part yesterday as well.

I think the air must be thinner in the top half of the table...
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

jastons wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:10 pm They've played us 3 times this season and only scored 4 (normal time) altogether.
And they scored 19 in their previous four prem games, whilst wedging in another 4 against Real Madrid.

We’ve played them well this season. How about the results in the London Stadium before that?

My point is that they are such a steroid team that their fans surely must feel a bit of shame by now. They’re 20 points ahead of third. 32 points ahead of Man U who are in a Europa League spot. They’ve scored 23 more goals than the third placed team, 32 more than the fourth placed team. They won the league by 12 points last season, scoring more goals than anyone else and conceding fewer goals than anyone else.

It’s farcical.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:29 pm It’s farcical.
It's boring.

Oh, and they've bagged Haaland ready for next season. Whoop de do!!
MB

Post by MB »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:29 pm It’s farcical.
It is. Then you look across the top leagues and see it (mostly) repeated.

In many ways that is why I wasn't totally against the super league. Let them play each other week in, week out if that is what the global market wants. But if that happens then they cannot keep a foot in the domestic league as well.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

MB wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:46 pm Rice, Rice Benny...
Uncle Ben’s rice rice baby.
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Despite losing a two goal lead I enjoyed the game yesterday - pre game I just wanted us to be competitive and give them a game which we did.

Great send off for Nobes as well, so weird yesterday that i started sweating from my eyes when he spoke! Nod to Pep as well for going to speak to him and mentioning him in his post match presser.

Still one to go but a great way to see off the season at home :crestnew: