No Starfield or Redfall this year

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

No Starfield or Redfall this year

Post by Up the Junction »

Triple A? Triple zero. Both titles delayed by Bethesda until 2023.

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: No Starfield or Redfall this year

Post by fjthegrey »

I'm sure everyone is super surprised by this.

I'm prepared to wait for Starfield.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Already dubbed 'No Mans Skyrim'.

And the other one.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

You have to assume it'll be more interesting than the trailer suggests, but Starfield looks properly bland.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am You have to assume it'll be more interesting than the trailer suggests, but Starfield looks properly bland.
Agreed. Looks like plenty of customisation options and plenty of places to explore, but the combat looked meh.

Hopefully the extra time will help.
MB

Post by MB »

So after the absolute flop that was Redfall, anyone cautious about Starfield?

I'm trying to not get too hyped and not reading too much as I want to be surprised in game.

Equally the holding back of review copies has me a bit nervous.

Decided to hold off on a special version for early access and will just see how it plays next week via gamepass.
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

MB wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:18 pm So after the absolute flop that was Redfall, anyone cautious about Starfield?

I'm trying to not get too hyped and not reading too much as I want to be surprised in game.

Equally the holding back of review copies has me a bit nervous.

Decided to hold off on a special version for early access and will just see how it plays next week via gamepass.
Starfield will be playable once the inevitable unofficial patch happens, Bethesda always leaves it to the fans to fix their games.

Of course that will shaft console players but it's difficult to care. If you splash out on a glorified PC with massive limitations, it's your own stupidity.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Still dunno how to feel about it.

I think I'm going to like it, but I think a lot of that is to do with there being nothing much else that seems like it's worth playing right now.
MB

Post by MB »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:23 pm Starfield will be playable once the inevitable unofficial patch happens, Bethesda always leaves it to the fans to fix their games.

Of course that will shaft console players but it's difficult to care. If you splash out on a glorified PC with massive limitations, it's your own stupidity.
I own and will play it on a Xbox Series X :newharry:

I did my share of PC gaming in my teens and 20s. It is too anti-social these days. On console the Mrs can still speak to me, the kids get to use it for their stuff and I don't have to stash a rig, monitor etc anywhere in the house.

Oh and I can play a multiplayer title without it being filled to the brim with cheating little ****ers.

But PC master race right mate...
MB

Post by MB »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:28 pm Still dunno how to feel about it.

I think I'm going to like it, but I think a lot of that is to do with there being nothing much else that seems like it's worth playing right now.

Yeah I think it is launching into a void which will help its numbers.

It will make or break based on the combat for me. To boldly go and all that is fine to an extent but I want to blow **** up.

The clunky combat killed Red Dead for me. Story is great, but what is the point of being a cowboy if the shoot outs are dull?
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

MB wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:14 pm I own and will play it on a Xbox Series X :newharry:

I did my share of PC gaming in my teens and 20s. It is too anti-social these days. On console the Mrs can still speak to me, the kids get to use it for their stuff and I don't have to stash a rig, monitor etc anywhere in the house.

Oh and I can play a multiplayer title without it being filled to the brim with cheating little ****ers.

But PC master race right mate...
It's not a "PC master race" thing though, it's just the way things are these days. Consoles are PCs optimized for gaming but massively hampered in other areas.

Especially the XBox. At least PS/Switch players get exclusive games. XBox players just get sold a PC for babies at a marked-up price.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Yeah I was the same with Red Dead. Fun to explore, but after a while, whenever any peril presented itself and I was forced to draw my weapon, it was undeniably ****. And then the exploring got less interesting because at the end of it there'd be another rubbish showdown.

If it's like a first person Red Dead in Space, with Destiny quality combat, it could be an all timer. That my hope anyway.

But I'm getting a new baby within the next 4 days (maximum) so who knows what my playing time will look like.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm It's not a "PC master race" thing though, it's just the way things are these days. Consoles are PCs optimized for gaming but massively hampered in other areas.

Especially the XBox. At least PS/Switch players get exclusive games. XBox players just get sold a PC for babies at a marked-up price.
Nothing about the PC is optimised for me. I spend all day sitting at a PC, I literally can't when I get home.

That 30fps frame rate could be a proper shitter though.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm At least PS/Switch players get exclusive games.
Except for the actual game we're discussing here which isn't available on PS.
MB

Post by MB »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm It's not a "PC master race" thing though, it's just the way things are these days. Consoles are PCs optimized for gaming but massively hampered in other areas.

I've done both as I said. I've built PCs and spent hours upon hours optimising this that or the other. Also.getting annoyed when A doesn't talk to B or game X isn't optimised for graphics card Y. I get it. But after a 10 hour day on Teams, Excel etc the last thing I want is to look at a PC screen.

Flick two switches and I'm done. It fits the needs I now have as a 40 something gamer.

Console wars, exclusives etc bore me to tears. My mates are on Xbox, I like the controller and it has all the games I want to play (plus a shed load more I'd love to have the time for). The rest is marketing's far as I'm concerned.

But we go off topic...
MB

Post by MB »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:28 pm But I'm getting a new baby within the next 4 days (maximum) so who knows what my playing time will look like.
Congrats mate! Had many a gaming experience with one or other daughter asleep on my lap!

I joined a clan of dads when my second was born. Doing a raid in Destiny with five like minded souls who will happily take a break while you clear up baby sick is a game changer.

Games with a pause become a must and things like instant resume will be a god send.

But just enjoy being a father.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Cheers man. I have another who is under 2 so it's already fairly full on.

I'm only actually bothering with Starfield because it's free on gamepass. I usually wait for triple A's to reduce in price before I play them as I virtually never find that any game is worth the big outlay at launch. I wouldn't be buying Starfield if it weren't 'free'. I generally find I enjoy a game a lot more if I've not shelled out maximum dollar for it.

Gaming doesn't seem to have actually moved on that drastically in the last say, 5 years or so in my eyes. I'm not seeing a vast graphic difference in titles from back at the middle/end of the last gen consoles to anything released now. Seems like we've reached a point of diminishing returns with regards to visual upgrades, so rushing to play something because it's the hot new thing isn't necessarily a superior experience to picking up something from a few years back.

Fact is, Starfield will be there in a year or two when I do have more time, so no real rush to get on with it if I find I can't.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

After the pigs ear their dev team made of the Elder Scrolls Online in recent years I won't be giving Bethesda any more of my money.
MB

Post by MB »

Combat may not be too bad. Definitely getting Destiny vibes from this

Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »