Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (22/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by funky chicken »

smuts wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:21 pm I love Fornals but some days he's just atrocious and should be hauled off after 60 minutes...today was one of those days.
His performances have been strange since the November international break.

When he’s been good he’s been as good as anybody. When he’s been bad he’s been really really bad.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Maybe moyes is angry becouse he now knows becouse we aint in the europa league is he ain't getting the players he wants.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Brighton, like another club nearer home, are a player or two short of being very good indeed. Yesterday, I believe was their highest league finish, and on their second half showing, or was it ours, they deserved it.

The first half I thought we shaded it, despite Fornals having a mare, the second half though belonged to them, and our Manager was too slow to make a change. It's an accusation often levelled at David Moyes, but I'm not sure if it's down to him being ponderous, or whether he just looks at the bench and wishes he had me on it. Insert your own joke about it being full at this point if you want.

The plain fact is we could all feel a Brighton goal coming 10 minutes or so before it arrived, and once they got their noses in front, the game, and season was up.

The difference between 6th and 7h isn't just one place and a couple of million quid. The difference isn't that we go in to a different, inferior competition, it's the fact we look less attractive to players we are seeking to recruit, or, indeed, retain.

Put simply we need to get our act together in the Boardroom and dugout.

Who is signing the players, what is the budget. It's not difficult.

This season we have seen the impact of £30m wasted on Vlasic, a salary wasted on Kral and the reality that for £30m , Benny doesn't do enough. Dawson at £2m doesn't compensate.

Overall it's been a good season, but the wasted opportunity to sustain pressure on the likes of Spurs and Man Utd has been disappointing. The later really didn't want the Europa league, yet still we couldn't catch them, with the absence of activity in the January window coming back to haunt us. One or two players short. The difference.

Now, we go in to the close season with yet another major rebuild required, and the Manager perhaps not as secure in his position as many seem to think. Conventional wisdom of the cognoscenti is the club will change hands at some point during next season.

Perhaps the new owner, if we in fact getting one, may choose he wants to pick his Manager now , not next March.
BoleynInsider
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

Post by BoleynInsider »

Heaviest defeat of the season (joint with Spurs away and Southampton in the FA Cup). Pretty gutted with that performance yesterday.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:22 am he's had the opportunities but especially today when it was a free hit, he chose Yarmo instead of Oko Flex..

what gives ?
He probably wanted to score a goal and trusted an experienced international performer over a player yet to play a first team game for us.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Missing sixth would have been easier to take if over taken by a club who went on a fantastic late run and warranted it. Possibly neither United or us fully deserved it based on league form over the final quarter of the season.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

The only difference between us and Man United is probably Ronaldo. Several times this season he’s dragged them over the line to get a result, the hat trick vs Norwich rings a bell.

Weirdly enjoyed Moyes raging in his interview. Hopefully it’s made things a little easier for him in terms of who is being moved on/aside next year.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

sendô wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:52 pm Msupsy should have gone off for two clear yellows. No idea how he didn't get one for that lunging scissor tackle.
This was the main thing for me when I said the officiating wasn't too good a few pages back. I think Friend overlooked a lot that would have warranted a yellow through the season.

Once we'd scored and Soucek got that soft yellow, the conspiracy theorist came out in me: "Here we go. West Ham 1-0 up, Palace 1-0 up, can't be having this"!
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:22 am he's had the opportunities but especially today when it was a free hit, he chose Yarmo instead of Oko Flex..

what gives ?
Because he thought Yarmo could influence the game more.
EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

second half we looked very jaded and lacked any creativity .
fornals and lanzini both poor
i dont think that fanianski should be first choice next season if we keep areola
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

awful second half when we just ran out of steam after a long season with a small squad.
one moment in the second half when rice had run forward, the attack broke down and he just stopped and looked at brighton attacking, shook his head and trudged back. he was running on fumes like a few of them.

hindsight is a wonderful thing but in january foresight was easily available. we all knew we needed 2/3 players in to save legs. yes antonio has been injury free but he needed resting for a few games. we couldnt so we flogged the dead horse and hence the poor performances. recently he`s back to once a week and scoring again !

moyes I suspect didnt make subs earlier because like me he looked at the bench and thought who is there ? only ben johnson and areola were worth their places on our bench. okoflex who knows ? the rest aere not worth having.

glad to see the moyes rant as it shows he cares and has an idea what is needed. a dig at those upstairs as well for the window ahead.

on another disappointing issue after the game I waited with maybe 50 others for our players to emerge ad one last good bye. zouma, johnson, fabianski and kevin nolan aside the rest didnt want to meet their fans. antonio came out saw the fans and went back in. they then moved coaches to the area. the players then left via another exit on another part of the ground making mugs of their fans who had waited an hour to see them. rice came out and went back in. disgusting from overpaid divas. would it have hurt to sign a few programmes for 20 mins and then go on their holidays ?

poor show on the pitch and off it !
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Thoroughly disappointing result here aside, this season has been terrific for us on almost all fronts. 7th place, which is probably about right for us overall this season, a Europa semi-final, and a team we can be proud of week in, week out.

We have players who have played 50 or more games this season, likely for the first time in their careers, and that's without considering international commitments. It shows at times.

Every single player has played their part this season, and the disappointment of not stealing 6th at the last is tempered by knowing that whenever called upon I truly think that every player has given 100% of whatever they had in the tank to help the team effort.

The defeat yesterday hurts because of the context, but taking a step back this morning and looking at the season as a whole we should see that this is a team we can be proud in. And as a fan, personally, that's all I've ever wanted.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

overall been a good season and the EL was fantastic. shame the last few months in the PL have found us wanting. the after match behaviour by our team left a bad taste though ! I get they were upset but they could have signed a few autographs. kevin nolan was happy to, so why not noble rice antonio etc ?
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I waited until the morning after, just to let my head settle.

We’ve had a good season. It’s been an exciting journey around Europe. Some players (Bowen) have stepped up considerably. Others have kept going (Antonio) when perhaps we expected less. Luck deserted us at key times (red cards & missed pens), but then again she turned up unexpectedly (late winners and others losing).

The team looked so tired. They played poorly. Moyes knows he got it wrong starting the same eleven again. He’s lashing out. It hurts. He’s disappointed, as will be 80% of the players.

A good rest, some fresh faces, and next August we’ll be ready to go again…kumb will be buzzing.

At this moment, Liverpool fans are hurting…(although I appreciate their wider context, but you get my point). So we are now at a level where almost succeeding sucks.

Sport is about success followed by failure followed by success followed by ….

We were not ready for Champions League this season , or probably next season, but we are more ready now than we were 4 years ago.

My glass is half full, but my glass is bigger than last season and I’m hoping we can fill it to 75% at least next season.
👍🇨🇿
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

ALIEN1X wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:07 pm
Antonio and Fabs performance this year has declined. Having said that Antonio appears to have put on weight which could be the reasonfor lack of form.
Do you really think that, with all the monitoring of players at the top level, Antonio would be allowed to put on weight?
Really?
Last edited by ornchurch ammer on Mon May 23, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

fab is declining for sure. antonio is just knackered most games. sensible rotation will see him good for another season at least. however he can no longer be our main striker and for me should start on the bench.
IF we get the transfer in right we could have a useful bench unlike yesterdays and similar weeks where the bench is so poor .

I hope to see a bench next season for the PL with fabianski cresswell dawson antonio on it
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Wouldn’t be surprised if Rice looks at grealish winning the premier league yesterday and ****'s off.

Bottled it when it matters this season. Bring on the intertoto
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Moyes deserves all the praise in getting us to where we are, from where we were...however, he shouldn't be exempt from criticism.

He blamed the players but he has to look at himself and realise that football has moved on and you can't flog the players over so many games anymore as other teams will rota and with players just as good as the first 11.

Yes we can blame GSB for not bringing anyone in during January which no doubt would have got us closer to top 4 and helped get us to a final but that opportunity went and you need to play with the crap cards delt.

Norwich was a classic game where we should have played at least 3 of the kids. And the second half of the Brighton game the players, especially Soucek were on their knees. We needed to add young blood and more energy. Not bringing on Yarmo and Noble, they both can't run for toffee.

The experience gained by the kids coming on would have been gold dust but he still didn't take that opportunity.

Don't we have technical statistician who can show which players are walking on quick sand because every one of us can clearly see it and its been like it for weeks now...

Golden chance to blood the kids but he wasted it..let's hope he learns from watching the second half of this game...
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:43 am
on another disappointing issue after the game I waited with maybe 50 others for our players to emerge ad one last good bye. zouma, johnson, fabianski and kevin nolan aside the rest didnt want to meet their fans. antonio came out saw the fans and went back in. they then moved coaches to the area. the players then left via another exit on another part of the ground making mugs of their fans who had waited an hour to see them. rice came out and went back in. disgusting from overpaid divas. would it have hurt to sign a few programmes for 20 mins and then go on their holidays ?

poor show on the pitch and off it !
Maybe it was because they know what some of our fans are like and thought that they were going to get a complete ****ing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The most predictable outcome yesterday was that Palace would win and we'd contrive to f*** it up.

It's been a great season all in all, yet it's difficult not to feel a sense of disappointment this morning.