Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (22/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by johnnyb »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:29 pm I do honestly do question why he selects a bench full of subs other than it is statutory for him to do so, and maybe the clue is in the word, statues, because that is how it seems to me
How we finished 7th with a bench so weak all season is a mystery to me.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

bowltorious wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:41 pm
And once again the officials were absolutely woeful. Luckily no big decisions today but he gave everything to brighton and how they didnt get more bookings i will never know. Let them get away with assault and then bools soucek for a nothing challenge.

Also why was maupey giving it the billy big b*llocks again? Youre ***** mate and had a nothing season again personally and with your club.
Msupsy should have gone off for two clear yellows. No idea how he didn't get one for that lunging scissor tackle.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

sendô wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:52 pm Msupsy should have gone off for two clear yellows. No idea how he didn't get one for that lunging scissor tackle.
You simply can't blame officials today. It's Brighton, and as per. we bottle it!
ALIEN1X
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ALIEN1X »

Disapointed with todays performace and result, there seemed to be no desire or determination to fight for the Europa spot. Credit to Rice who tried his best.
We beat Sevilla and Lyon but cant beat Brighton? May be they are the ones to be in Europe.
Antonio and Fabs performance this year has declined. Having said that Antonio appears to have put on weight which could be the reasonfor lack of form.
To attract any decent signings in summer is going to be tough with no Europa spot.

Going forward, think we should make a bid for Pope and Linguard at the least, as we will be losing at least 3 in summer and possibly Rice too
Last edited by ALIEN1X on Sun May 22, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Where was Vlasic today? Injured? Dropped? Decided to go Harvey Nics for the day?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

smuts wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:08 pm Where was Vlasic today? Injured? Dropped? Decided to go Harvey Nics for the day?
He is under a temporary hold after reading the last few pages of his thread on here.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I see C&H wasted no time sticking the boot in after that post match interview
TwoTubs
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by TwoTubs »

Daytonahammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:16 pm Conference league is alright by me, gets the players, staff, and fans more experience in Europe and is the natural progression for a team of our caliber. I'd be more concerned about the transfer window than anything else right now. We need to bring in some talent for sure.
I agree with this 100%. Yes, 6th and EL would've been great, but to say that ECL isn't worth it really sounds crazy. What do we expect with the owners we have etc etc etc?

As I said before, today was disappointing but I'm not going to turn my nose up at where we finished and what we have to look forward to next season.
Clyde Best
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Clyde Best »

Sat in the home end with a mate today, second half they stepped up the pace and we couldn't match them. Thought Rice in particular looked absolutely pissed off at the end. Hope thats not the last time for him in a Hammers shirt. Kudos to Potter, took Moyes to the cleaners.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

smuts wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:08 pm Where was Vlasic today? Injured? Dropped? Decided to go Harvey Nics for the day?
Somewhere in Essex trying to purchase a caravan apparently.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:16 pm I see C&H wasted no time sticking the boot in after that post match interview
I haven't read that site for maybe a year or more ..

however..

they DO raise some good points, much as out own DL has said on here. and I agree with. some not all.

we COULD AND SHOULD have added in January. I have mentioned before. we didn't have to add everyone who was BETTER than we had. they could have been just as good.

we finished 6th. we're not shpping at the same stores as Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

wasn't there someone out there who could have improved a 6th place PL team ?

could we have made a sub today that would have improved or at least no weakened the team ? I think we could. Fornals was awful. AWFUL. Noble for Fornals much earlier maybe the 60th minute. we really had a bit of a free hit today, we couldn't ddrop lower than 7th but could have gotten 6th. push the boat out a bit.

Fornals for Yarmo and go 4-4-2.

just suggestions that might not have worked. we lost 3-1 to a shytty Brighton that didn't have to be very good to beat us.

at h t the opposing manager saw somethings that weren't working and made a positive change for them. they weren't playing for 6th.

sorry today I do drop a load of blame on Moyes. we give him kudos when he wins and/does things right.

today ? nah. no kudos for me.

doesn't mean I think he's done any overall shytty job. I don't. but this is the match thread and my comment is about todays game.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Today was more about celebrating another great season than worrying too much about the result. Its been a long hard season with a threadbare team. We did better than could be expected.

I travelled to the game with my son. Got to speak with Georgie Parris before the match. Stood in the sunshine and sang bubbles. It was a great day and wrapped up the season. We win more than we lose these days and to be honest I'm more than happy with that. Football for me has become more about creating memories with my son than the result.

Can't understand the fans streaming from our end when we went 3-1 down. Travel all that way, club captains last ever game and you can't suck it up? If the team folded like that you'd be the first to moan.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I don’t think we can particularly blame the players or their effort today. I’d put it down to potter tactically cutting out bowen and cresswell and so the team and moyes had no answer either in tactics or a pretty useless bench. We ran around like headless chickens second half.

I am a bit afraid for next season that we may have a manager that can only play one way with the same first 11 and teams like brighton and brentford are showing other teams how to play against us.

After the summer and seeing how/if our squad radically changes, we then need to make a choice as to whether we can realistically challenge in all competitions or have to be very selective as to what we can reallistically succeed in and what we may have to choose to deprioritise one or more.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

We lost because they had the ability to change up top and stick Maupay alongside Welbeck. Bowen was well marshalled and Cucurella was all over Coufal. What did we have on the bench ?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:45 pm We lost because they had the ability to change up top and stick Maupay alongside Welbeck. Bowen was well marshalled and Cucurella was all over Coufal. What did we have on the bench ?
not much agreed but NOble could have easily done a better job than Fornals who was dogshyte today. he coldn't find his arse with both hands.

did we attempt to change it early enough ?

imvho no.

as I have said umpteed times today. Yarmo for Fornals and go 4-4-2

we didn't try.

he who dares, wins, no ?

fortune favours the brave no ?

as soon as the score was 1-1, we should have at least tried ONE sub....

but did we ? no.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Coufal was brilliant today - one of his best performances.
Nice opportunistic strike from Antonio but we did sod-all other than that. Brighton deserved the win.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

We deserve to lose today.
Biggest frustration was not making changes sooner when at 1:1 Brighton we're looking the most likely team to score.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Moyes having a right go at the players in his interview. I really like Moyes, but he needs to take some responsibility too. Granted, he could never have expected Fornals to drop an actual 1/10 (one of the worst performances I’ve ever witnessed any player have in a West Ham shirt) and the likes of Lanzini, Soucek and Cresswell offering absolutely nothing, but he really should have made some changes earlier in the game, when it was clear how to everyone how it was going. I don’t think the players weren’t trying, but they’re coming off a long and draining season, and the general quality, other than Rice, wasn’t there today.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

“Sh**ty Brighton” - talk about arrogant. They’ve had a great season.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:16 pm I see C&H wasted no time sticking the boot in after that post match interview
The most parasitic element of supporting this club. People who admittedly didn’t even go to a game at the Boleyn for years and years and now get comp tickets to Stratford as mouthpieces for the owners.

I honestly have more respect for Spurs or Millwall day trippers than these people. Slagging off Moyes after the season we’ve just had? Shameful.