Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (22/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Hammer1966 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:33 pm Today was...
Brilliant post. :muscle:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 23, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

just as the bubbles anthem says we fade and die.

not quite and we will all be ready again in august with half the team being replaced hopefully.

fornals soucek rice antonio zouma all looked shattered ! coufal always looks like it so can add him in probably.

we need options for next seasons 50+ games !

anyone have any email addresses I can fire off an email to regarding the team`s lack of engagement with their fans yesterday ?
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 pm We didn't, no.

Passing accuracy today:

Antonio 81%
Lanzini 86%
Bowen 83%
Rice 94%
Fornals 64%
Soucek 57%

Tells it's own story. I'm starting to have serious doubts about Soucek. The weaknesses are beginning to outweigh the strengths.
It's been one of my concerns for a while. I believe the reason Johnson plays better on the left is because Rice is available to him for some interaction. On the right there is tumbleweed between Johnson & Bowen. Coufal copes with it well enough as he is a true wing back. I honestly don't know where Soucek goes and his key passing stats are abysmal. I've always wondered if he'd be any good as a CB.
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Clucking Bell wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 pm The US commentator said that the pair of them have started more games than any other of our players, 50-odd, this season and Rice isn't that far behind.
I did some more digging on this. There's 3,420 mins playing time in a PL season, 3,572 if you include an average 4 mins extra time. 7 players have played more minutes than that this season and some by quite a large margin (Rice, Soucek, Dawson, Bowen, Antonio, Fornals and Cresswell).

It's not that surprising that we ran out of steam at the end. Soucek looked absolutely shot yesterday.

Depth needed over the summer. We can't play another 50 odd games next season without more players and hope to qualify for european football again. We were lucky that Wolves decided to start their holidays in March.

Stats from here, no idea how reliable it is:
https://fbref.com/en/squads/7c21e445/20 ... mpetitions
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Doyley72 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 am Moyes deserves all the praise in getting us to where we are, from where we were...however, he shouldn't be exempt from criticism.
I do agree he (Moyes) should not be exempt from criticism however, with regards to the 'kids' they are just not good enough for the Premier League IMHO. A couple have potential but I have not seen any of them that I would say warrants a game (as yet) or better than what he has on the bench, albeit a poor one. The experience to be gained in such an important match may equally be a very damaging one for a youngster. However, I do agree that his stubbornest is often his Achilles heel (as well as a strength sometimes) and can often result in a lack of a Plan B when it matters.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 23, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

NWhammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:19 am Wouldn’t be surprised if Rice looks at grealish winning the premier league yesterday and ****'s off.

Bottled it when it matters this season. Bring on the intertoto
It's not the intertoto though is it?

It's a serious European Trophy.

The Europa League was looked down on all of 10 years ago, "Thursday nights, Channel 5!"

Winning the Conference League would be one of the greatest achievements in our history.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:52 am It's not the intertoto though is it?

It's a serious European Trophy.

The Europa League was looked down on all of 10 years ago, "Thursday nights, Channel 5!"

Winning the Conference League would be one of the greatest achievements in our history.
That's all very well but how many games is "winning the europa conference" just to get to the europa league next season?
along with the league and cups?
As opposed to letting that go and putting all of our efforts into domestic cups and the league and possibly getting europa league?

I'll enjoy us being in it, however brief, but i'm certainly not looking at us putting all of our efforts into winning it.
Last edited by kitthehammer on Mon May 23, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Soucek has been struggling for a while and really needs a long rest this summer. His pros are that he breaks down attacks, he is intelligent in his positioning and will not stop blocking and running. His passing has never been brilliant so not surprised that he is low in that stat. But he makes some great box to box moves and that has been stifled because of Rice's development in that he wants to do that, which means Soucek has to defend more. And that fact he has played so many games his legs have gone which takes another part of his game away.

With Rice he wants to be more box to box which is fine but as he is normally on the left of midfield he has to defend more to cover Cresswell as he is our weaklink. We have to play Fornals to help Cresswell out so Rice can go forward. Put Benny there and Rice has to sit back more.

Would have been good to see other options during the Norwich and Brighton games.

Appiah-Forson in for Soucek to the right of Rice. Longelo for Cresswell or Nevres for Fornals?
Hammer_Time1
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Hammer_Time1 »

Death, taxes and West Ham failing to beat Brighton in the Premier League.

Brighton deserved it, we looked shot and devoid of ideas- which has been our default setting for the majority of the second half of the season. Well done Crystal Palace for keeping your end of the bargain :clap:

Oh well, a big summer ahead and let's attack this conference league :hamm:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

A 5.5/10 performance when, probably a 7/10 would have been enough.

Not the players fault. It was a game, or rather a half too much. You could see the gas just wasn’t in the tank.

Brighton are hard working but limited and frankly bang-average yet our lethargy galvanised them into thinking the game was for the taking and clearly, it was.

Such a shame but these players have been magnificent. You just can’t expect such a small squad to maintain the required energy levels over a fifty game season.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:59 am That's all very well but how many games is "winning the europa conference" just to get to the europa league next season?
along with the league and cups?
As opposed to letting that go and putting all of our efforts into domestic cups and the league and possibly getting europa league?

I'll enjoy us being in it, however brief, but i'm certainly not looking at us putting all of our efforts into winning it.
So you'd rather focus on the league and hope for the same prize as winning the cup but without the trophy?

It's the same amount of games as the Europa League +1 play off tie before the group stage.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Think Rice and Johnson can be real leaders to help nurture the kids to show that they can make it. They can follow in Nobles shoes by putting an arm around them and showing them the professional way like the extra training that the Cz boys bring which Fornals and Bowen continues to do after training to improve.
Get them in the squad and show hard work brings benefits which is something that Moyes can take a lot of credit for.

We have no options for like to like players to cover Rice and Soucek except Appiah-Forson. Kral and Noble are not good enough or the same type of player. So give him a chance and let Rice be his mentor (he would love that). We all know Cresswell is finished so give him a senior role to mentor Longelo who has to be better. Then start looking at Nevers, Perkins, Oxo-Flex, Chesters...we will never know until they are tested but the senior players (including Rice and Johnson) have a huge role to guide them through it.

We won't get the chance now as they won't be risked in the new season and hopefully we will add a few new faces as its massively important that we get rid of dead wood like Arthur, Yarmo, Kral plus Noble going and add real quality. But giving these kids a go we could save a lot of money otherwise we are looking for about 8 new signings?? (4 released and to be replaced and 4 new signings to make squad bigger?)

The Brighton game has shown what we need and what we should have don
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Doyley72 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 am Moyes deserves all the praise in getting us to where we are, from where we were...however, he shouldn't be exempt from criticism.
I agree the academy should have helped out in the past and whilst many on here would say they are not good enough for the PL, that is not the point. We are not asking them to be instant 'Ronaldos', we are asking them to do a job for 20 minutes and get some experience while someone has a well deserved rest. Okoflex is a left sided forward, Yarmolenko right sided, so instead of bringing on the latter and tripping over Bowen, he could have played Okoflex on the left and moved Antonio to the centre. There was nothing to lose and he would certainly have played no worse than Yarmo for an almost pointless 10 minutes.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

Mr Moyes has done a great job but I have long suspected that Mr Potter is a better coach. Nothing I saw yesterday has disabused me of that suspicion.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I doubt that. What moyes has done on limited funds is fantastic. Let's see if Potter can move on with Brighton
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:34 am The most predictable outcome yesterday was that Palace would win and we'd contrive to **** it up.

It's been a great season all in all, yet it's difficult not to feel a sense of disappointment this morning.
Spot on. Taking the lead and the inevitable early second half equaliser for Brighton you just knew what was coming.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Soucek always struggles more against dynamic teams that move the ball around quickly imo.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:34 am The most predictable outcome yesterday was that Palace would win and we'd contrive to **** it up.

It's been a great season all in all, yet it's difficult not to feel a sense of disappointment this morning.
It was the manner in which we capitulated. That second half was frankly atrocious. Brighton could have won that 6-1.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:23 am So you'd rather focus on the league and hope for the same prize as winning the cup but without the trophy?

It's the same amount of games as the Europa League +1 play off tie before the group stage.
And more chance of resting players in the group matches. And more European experience. Oh and more money.

Success breds success.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

'stone hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 pm Tells it's own story. I'm starting to have serious doubts about Soucek. The weaknesses are beginning to outweigh the strengths.
I didn't see the game, but isn't a big part of the Lanzini role to make Soucek look better? Ditto Fornals. Those numbers say they were hitting passes they shouldn't have been. Where was the link player and fullbacks?