Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (22/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by hammers92 »

Jon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:15 pm Lanzini doesn’t have a clear role. It baffles me. His goal at Palace was staggering. He’s a 10 who has to be in and around the box.

Moyes HAD to push him up the pitch but didn’t.
He doesn’t offer us much anymore in the final third anyway. He’s one of the first who should be leaving this summer, as sad as it is, he’s not offering us much these days.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:05 pm I know the bench isn't great but after about 60 minutes, it was quite clear that Fornals was having a mare.

ditto for Lanzini but not as bad as Fornals.

bring on Noble in the Lanzini role and push Lanzini further forward ?

bring on Yarmo for Fornals and push Bowen up alongside Mike ? go 4-4-2 ?

I'm not saying that would have changed things, but eff me, it was worth a try Shirley ?

Sadly, you can sure it never would even had occurred to. Moyes. He has the one way stereotyped way of playing and that's it. It's the same with tactical substitutions, I honestly don't think it even occurs to him
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:11 pm I don't think he does that a lot. He is not in the Arteta/Conte league when it comes to throwing players under the bus after a poor performance. Today was rare for Moyes.
Not interested in what the Spurs and Arse boss says or doesn`t say. Just a few games ago he called out Dawson who has been superhuman all season. Not good.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Most years we've been in a relegation dogfight. Today we were fighting for 6th place.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game today and it doesn't sound great, and I get the disappointment, but it shouldn't define the season.

Dropping a league place is more than understandable with the additional demands of the Europa this season, especially given the size of the squad.

If we can keep hold of Rice and Bowen and strengthen over the close season we should be competing for top 6 for the 3rd consecutive season, which shows just how far we have come.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I'm convinced that barring injuries, Moyes makes substitutions by his watch and not the state of the game.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

MrHammer73 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 pm Never seen Moyes so angry in a post match interview as Hammers manager. He hasn't been a happy bunny in the past few weeks and if the owners don't back him in the summer transfer window, he may well walk away with his stock high. Over to GSB and we know what happens then..
He's obviously mentally tired etc and angry after an appalling last 45 minutes where we could easily have conceded 5...but yeah, I don't think I've ever heard him so down on the team.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Vic_Watson wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 pm Always throws the players under the bus when we lose. Some self-awareness required.
No, he doesn't. Plenty of times he supports the players when they play well and lose, but not when they play poorly and today they played poorly. I find him unusually honest and straightforward in his comments after the game. Is he and his coaching staff blameless? Of course not and I am 100% sure he and his team will analyse their own judgements/performance etc. post-match. Moyes, Nolan, Pearce etc. do not strike me as people unaware of their own (in)competences when they occur. A little bit of bias confirmation I fear.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Talking of angriness, I thought Rice looked well pissed off at the end.

Had a lovely day out with half a dozen or so posters from on here at mine before the game and ended up making my season.

Sure, we were crap. The first 15 look absolutely shattered and tbh I am too.

Can’t wait for somewhere obscure in August now.

What a blast of a 9 months! Feck everything else and hold onto that 👍
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:56 pm I know the thread digressed a bit over the last few pages, but I'm surprised of the lack of column inches on the performance of Mr. Friend.

Although I can't blame him for the result, I certainly don't think he had a great game.
They say travel broadens the mind, and being in Europe this season really throws into stark relief what mediocrities we have officiating the World’s Best League. Two of the best officiating performances I’ve seen this season came in games we lost in Europe.

The league has the money, they should recruit the best from abroad.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 pm I'm convinced that barring injuries, Moyes makes substitutions by his watch and not the state of the game.
I do honestly do question why he selects a bench full of subs other than it is statutory for him to do so, and maybe the clue is in the word, statues, because that is how it seems to me
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Is there a link to Moyes post match interview
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Love Moyes and he’d cook you a good wholesome meal every night.

Problem is, it would be the same meal every single night.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:31 pm Love Moyes and he’d cook you a good wholesome meal every night.

Problem is, it would be the same meal every single night.
Well, season after next he won't be serving Rice any more....
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Thought we were great first half and controlled the game. For some reason second half we played absolutely awful. A shame but we still have europa conference and should be one of the favourites to win it.

Thought moyes cost us today with his unwillingness to change things when the game clearly was turning. Low and behold we concede after he should have changed it.

Everyone looked knackered today. They need a good rest.

And once again the officials were absolutely woeful. Luckily no big decisions today but he gave everything to brighton and how they didnt get more bookings i will never know. Let them get away with assault and then bools soucek for a nothing challenge.

Also why was maupey giving it the billy big b*llocks again? Youre ***** mate and had a nothing season again personally and with your club.

COYI
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Hammer1972 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:38 pm Well, season after next he won't be serving Rice any more....
There’s still the potato salad…..
Yodi
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Yodi »

Colours never run wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:29 pm I want us to have nothing to do with the Europa conference red herring nonsense. Fatigue and risk injury to players in the faint hope of qualifying for the Europa proper IF we 'win' it. ****. that. Just play kids if need be.
Another embarrassing and completely pathetic post, dont deserve any other comment
TwoTubs
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by TwoTubs »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:50 pm Soucek 55% pass completion. Fornals 64% pass completion. Lanzini doing absolutely nothing to hurt the opposition yet again. Rubbish performance. We really need to add quality to that midfield.
Indeed. This summer's window will show what the board think about moving forward. Although, January was pretty clear whoever you blame it on.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Just watched Moyes' interview. Don't ever think i've seen him that fuming. May be clutching at straws but hopefully that's a sign of what we expect for the summer.
Hermit_Road
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Hermit_Road »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:12 pm At the end of the day, he picked the best team he had available. Does anyone really think we'd have played much better if we'd have swapped Lanzini and Fornals with Noble and Yarmolenko? Really? It was a game where the first 11 had to perform - and they didn't.
Fornals had an absolute mare today, and in my opinion is inconsistent. Moyes must have seen this as early as the first half and therefore, subbed him. Moyes has to be partly to blame here.
IronRhino
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by IronRhino »

TommyHammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:45 pm Just watched Moyes' interview. Don't ever think i've seen him that fuming. May be clutching at straws but hopefully that's a sign of what we expect for the summer.
He has to take some responsibility. He chose the team, he prepared them, gave the half time team talk and then failed to make any timely or impactful substitutions when the game was going away from us.