Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 West Ham Utd (22/5/22)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1850 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If the players were as bad as he thinks they were, why did he leave them on so long?
PrinceHisback
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by PrinceHisback »

Noone bar Rice (and maybe Coufal) had any impressive game. But I would say Moyes hardly ever put any blame on himself. Soucek has been a lively servant for this club for two seasons now, and played in his national team as a captain beyond that. Was it 54 games this season? Kral has hardly played 54 minutes… Moyes stubbornness to work with a (too) small/thin squad showed today, just trust his first eleven players, nearly never play any youngster (he could have shown that we are looking for the future by given Oko-Flex ago instead he once more gave Yarmo a go), and is seldom good at changing anything, not players, not tactics. After today he should be most disappointed with himself.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

I love Fornals but some days he's just atrocious and should be hauled off after 60 minutes...today was one of those days.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:17 pm If the players were as bad as he thinks they were, why did he leave them on so long?
That's a fair comment.

Fornals definitely had one of those games where nothing he tried came off and both him and Soucek looked absolutely ****ed. The US commentator said that the pair of them have started more games than any other of our players, 50-odd, this season and Rice isn't that far behind.

I think singling out any of our players though is a bit much: none of our lot covered themselves in glory. Zouma and Dawson switched off, Fabianski should have saved the first goal and Antonio did bugger all except score. Lanzini and Cresswell were ineffective, Rice sort of gave up after their second and probably only Coufal really earned his money today.

You've got to take your hat off to Potter though: he got his players to step it up in the second half and they did very well to keep the ball away from Bowen .... although, to be fair, he didn't do too much in the way of going looking for it.

Disappointing end to the season and we'll definitely need a good handful of reinforcements in the summer as we're not going to repeat this year's (on the whole) successes with the same fifteen players.
Benaloon
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by Benaloon »

We've obviously had a great season and consecutive European finishes is an incredible achievement given where we've come from. But there's no getting away from the fact that we've absolutely bottled it when it's come down to it. Obviously in the semi (although that was more unfortunate/frustrating than anything else) but then our form in the league has been dreadful for the last 3 months and yet we still had the chance to salvage something... and still blew it.

Think there's a real risk we slip back into the mod-lower mire unless we get every signing right this summer.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Clucking Bell wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 pm That's a fair comment.

Fornals definitely had one of those games where nothing he tried came off and both him and Soucek looked absolutely ****ed. The US commentator said that the pair of them have started more games than any other of our players, 50-odd, this season and Rice isn't that far behind.

I think singling out any of our players though is a bit much: none of our lot covered themselves in glory. Zouma and Dawson switched off, Fabianski should have saved the first goal and Antonio did bugger all except score. Lanzini and Cresswell were ineffective, Rice sort of gave up after their second and probably only Coufal really earned his money today.

You've got to take your hat off to Potter though: he got his players to step it up in the second half and they did very well to keep the ball away from Bowen .... although, to be fair, he didn't do too much in the way of going looking for it.

Disappointing end to the season and we'll definitely need a good handful of reinforcements in the summer as we're not going to repeat this year's (on the whole) successes with the same fifteen players.
don't think JBB (and he can answer for himself) is specifically singling out any one, but a bit like me, there's only so many subs we can use and who we can actually use (or at least Moyes seems to want to use).

and of those, we don't have a sub for Antonio. if we changed Fab that's one less field player we can change. etc etc

my suggestions only came from the fact that we would only use Noble and Yarmo to help get goals.

so Noble for Fornals and move Lanzini
Noble for Fornals Yarmo for Lanzini and go 4-4-2

no later than 60 minutes or as soon as it went 1-1

that's about all we could do.

or use Oko-Flex.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:17 pm If the players were as bad as he thinks they were, why did he leave them on so long?
Because the options on the bench were worse and yes he'd probably still have thought that if we'd signed (available) players in January.

It still isn't quite his squad, but this is the summer to sort that out.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

BTW to the two Portsmouth Irons I met before the game - fair play lads. You made it a great pre match afternoon. Lovely chatting with you.
Has liked: 4526 likes
Total likes: 1529 likes

Post by Sticky »

.. I've started to become aware of how anonymous Bowen can be during games..I know he plays on the shoulder of the last defender .. but at times it's akin to playing with ten men.

Anyone know how many times he touched the ball today?

Obviously he is mustard, but I have the feeling that when he starts to trust his right foot more and can go either way, and also starts to dominant games he will become even better.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Did we play that awful formation with Fornals and Coufal as wingbacks today?

Cresswell must defo have incriminating information on Moyes

Not having Benny was a real shame, and where was Vlasic?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Sticky wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:53 pm .. I've started to become aware of how anonymous Bowen can be during games..I know he plays on the shoulder of the last defender .. but at times it's akin to playing with ten men.

Obviously he is mustard, but I have the feeling that when he starts to trust his right foot more and can go either way, and also starts to dominant games he will become even better.
according to Whoscored 29
Rice with 89

yes he was not involved much today. and that's an understatement

Antonio only 39 which really shows up how little the midfield provided today.

Fornals 56 but he couldn't find a team mate for the life of him. 64% pa.

both Bowen and Antonio 1 Shot each

can only find 7 shots and only TWO on target.

ain't gonna win many games with stats like that.

Antonio 1 on target.

yep, we were absoultely dogshyte.
Lanzini 69 and 86% but ZERO key passes.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Sticky wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:53 pm .. I've started to become aware of how anonymous Bowen can be during games..I know he plays on the shoulder of the last defender .. but at times it's akin to playing with ten men.

That's quite often the charmed life of a Striker/Forward I'm afraid. For long spells during games they don't do a great deal, but it's in those small moments when they actually produce a goal in 1 way or another is when you finally notice them. And thankfully we've had 22 moments by Bowen to remember just why he's so important to us, even if he appears to do little at other times during games.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

HammerAl wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:15 pm (one of the worst performances I’ve ever witnessed any player have in a West Ham shirt)
I only need one more for a full house on Kumb matchday bingo.
Is anyone else close?
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:59 pm Did we play that awful formation with Fornals and Coufal as wingbacks today?
We didn't, no.

Passing accuracy today:

Antonio 81%
Lanzini 86%
Bowen 83%
Rice 94%
Fornals 64%
Soucek 57%

Tells it's own story. I'm starting to have serious doubts about Soucek. The weaknesses are beginning to outweigh the strengths.
Last edited by 'stone hammer on Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I was a bit confused about our formation in the first half to be honest. Bowen seemed to be central a lot and Antonio was out on the left.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The 90 minute pass accuracy doesn't really reflect the game.

At 45 minutes we had had most possession, and we had a higher pass accuracy.

The only player struggling to pass the ball in the first half was Fornals,

We were the better team first half.

The second half was toilet, and Moyes was far too slow to do something - fresh legs etc, but what's the point of bringing on players who have been told their careers are over at West Ham?

Curiously, they got better when they got rid of much-lauded Bissouma.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Felt for Rice today. He was immense as usual and trying so hard to rally the troops, push the team on, and make things happen. The players around him just weren’t on the same level as him (and has happened on a fair few occasions this season).

I just hope we can f *cking beat this lot next season!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:02 am The 90 minute pass accuracy doesn't really reflect the game.

At 45 minutes we had had most possession, and we had a higher pass accuracy.

The only player struggling to pass the ball in the first half was Fornals,

We were the better team first half.

The second half was toilet, and Moyes was far too slow to do something - fresh legs etc, but what's the point of bringing on players who have been told their careers are over at West Ham?

Curiously, they got better when they got rid of much-lauded Bissouma.
absolutely agree to the first part

I'd also like to think that players are a bit too professional to take that attitude.

Noble - he would bleed Claret and Blue
Yarmo - he's shown a top level of professionalsim I think
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 am absolutely agree to the first part

I'd also like to think that players are a bit too professional to take that attitude.

Noble - he would bleed Claret and Blue
Yarmo - he's shown a top level of professionalsim I think
Yes, I get that and I don't dispute either ....but what's the point?

Kral must have been an unused sub 35 times this season. What's the point? Moyes might as well put an Ann Summers blow-up doll there.

He might as well give the time and opportunity to U23s.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

he's had the opportunities but especially today when it was a free hit, he chose Yarmo instead of Oko Flex..

what gives ?