Better Call Saul ending thread - Spoilers!

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Re: Better Call Saul ending thread - Spoilers!

Post by Monkeybubbles »

S-H wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:43 am Don't forget he was seconds away from cracking that poor geezer's skull, before he passed out again, I don't think he has much left in him to be honest.

Many years of hurt, will finally see him snap, it's been coming..
If he as much as touches her ponytail he'll have me to answer to.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Yep...hard to see a happy ending for Jimmy. Ready to brain a cancer sufferer, threatening a disabled OAP by implying he's about to strangle her with a telephone cord...he's snapped.

The Jessie cameos don't really work do they? Steve Buscemi in 30 Rock springs to mind.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Same as many before, I've really not enjoyed it since the mid season break. I'm just watching it to get to the end now.

The script just hasn't worked for me. When we first were shown the future Saul in black and white, he was nervous, tense, worried about being caught. Then suddenly he has switched to Slippin Jimmy and starting taking huge risks that will blow his cover. I just can't really buy into it, plus the whole elaborate store robbery, getting the cabbie to agree, who seemed far more confident in his first casting.

I get that Kim tried to bury the past, but living a life with some bland guy, discussing mayo options, again very had to accept.

I suppose very few shows end satisfactory, but I just think they've missed the mark with this one.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

By way of discussion, really, it is perhaps fair to point out that 6 years elapsed between the divorce and the efforts to find Kim in Florida.

Kim took the option to bottle it all up and keep schtum, so, as portrayed, she totally changed her character in order to move on from her earlier misdeeds.

Gene was Saul's new life, but he got spotted by the taxi driver and had to work out a way of trapping him in 'the game', presumably at the same time that, whilst he was happy to be safe, he couldn't keep a lid on it like Kim could. The first job, at the department store, was supposed to trap the taxi man but leave Gene free from hassle....but he just couldn't stop himself from slipping back into his old ways.

I actually think that the recent episodes have been more clever than at first they appear, largely because these lot appear intent on finishing the show with a definite, albeit possibly still surprising ending. The now thoroughly boring ending of a show that tantalisingly leaves a thread or two untied might not be happening on this one, given that all the main protagonists (Mike, Walter, Gus, Nacho, Lalo) are Hovis.
smuts

Post by smuts »

"Yep...Yep...Yep...Yep..."

Poor Kim. :lol:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Jimmy is a shell of a man who’s ways have caught up with him. He is in a special kind of hell of his own making and his judgement day is coming soon.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

A fair amount of very good shows struggle to land its finale but that was absolutely brilliant.

A fitting end to what has been a consistently brilliant show, that imo, has got better and better as it’s gone on.

The best prequel ever?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

For me, the best episode of the second half.

I don't think they could've wrapped it up any better.

Now to start it from the beginning.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

Yep, good ending to a fantastic series. :clap:

:|
smuts

Post by smuts »

Mixed feelings really. The flashbacks grated but the last 10 minutes were excellent.

Time to let the BB universe go now. I don't think there's any stories really left to tell.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

smuts wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 pm Mixed feelings really. The flashbacks grated but the last 10 minutes were excellent.

Time to let the BB universe go now. I don't think there's any stories really left to tell.
Hanging With Huell - A Breaking Bad Comedy Special
Bend it like Repka

Yep, I think they saved it with the last one. To end with them both leaning against the wall having a ciggie, just like the early days was a good wrap.

I think the flashbacks worked better in this one, they served a purpose to show how Jimmy has always been the same, a grifter obsessed with money.

Once the dark winter nights start I'll start watching BB again.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Once again it appears I'm at odds with the views here.

We're expected to believe the utterly self-serving Saul Goodman, who 48 hours earlier was on the verge on smashing a cancer-ridden, burglary victim over the head before almost throttling a pensioner and then cutting a deal that would see him serve 7½ years suddenly had an epiphany that led to a multi-life sentence in order to save his ex-wife, who he'd not seen for six years and who was as culpable - if not more so - for the circumstances that led to Howard's unfortunate death?

I don't buy it.

And the scene when his fellow prisoners began singing his name? :nonpl:

It all felt a little too convenient. Though the final scene (as they shared one last cigarette) was nicely done.

I enjoyed and I respected the fact that they deliberately decided against leaving little loose ends.

I thought the negotiation with the lawyer who never lost a case to be overdone and verging on the silly, but the acting, direction and story-telling was top notch.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Didn't do a thing for me.

Was weak, inconsistent and at times outright stupid.
Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 am And the scene when his fellow prisoners began singing his name?
The worst moment in the series by a distance I thought.
S-H

Post by S-H »

S-H

Post by S-H »

Bend it like Repka

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 am Once again it appears I'm at odds with the views here.

We're expected to believe the utterly self-serving Saul Goodman, who 48 hours earlier was on the verge on smashing a cancer-ridden, burglary victim over the head before almost throttling a pensioner and then cutting a deal that would see him serve 7½ years suddenly had an epiphany that led to a multi-life sentence in order to save his ex-wife, who he'd not seen for six years and who was as culpable - if not more so - for the circumstances that led to Howard's unfortunate death?
Well Jimmy mcGill was utterly self serving, apart from Kim. He never stopped loving her, she left, he didn't want her to go. The divorce paper scene was designed to show his pretence, Saul was not bothered about her, yeah sign the papers, look at my office, see ya later, obviously an act.

That fact that he was calling her up even in hiding proved he wasn't over her 6 years later. I do think she's the one person he'd take a fall for.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:56 pm That fact that he was calling her up even in hiding proved he wasn't over her 6 years later. I do think she's the one person he'd take a fall for.
He had no intention of calling her until he learned she had enquired about his well-being.

And yes, that call took six years to make - he can't have been that hung up!