Financial fair play ?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Re: Financial fair play ?

Post by Kermit »

Hammer Matty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 pm Having read a bit into it, I don’t see how Everton aren’t bang to rights? Maybe Leeds and Burnley have a case?
They are bang to rights. But, seriously, this is England and the year is 2022. Do you honestly believe the authorities will have the cojones to actually do something about it ? Or for that matter take actions against those clubs where players and managers were attacked by fans who invaded various pitches recently ?

I guess that, like me, you aren't holding your breath.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Leeds and Burnley are unhappy for obvious reasons but it shouldn't be a case of legal action. The FFP rules are in place and any club breaking them should be punished. We don't need a big song and dance.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Seems pretty clear cut they’ve contravened the rules, and by some margin, yet I’d be stunned if anything happened to Everton. The reason faith in institutions is at record lows is because institutions continually fail to provide a reason to have faith in them.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

jastons wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:40 pm Leeds and Burnley are unhappy for obvious reasons but it shouldn't be a case of legal action. The FFP rules are in place and any club breaking them should be punished. We don't need a big song and dance.
Put it this was if Burnley and Everton were swapped in position and finances then Burnley would be penalised without question (if not already).
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Are the punishments for breaking this rule set out anywhere or is it another of those make it up if we have to, depending on the club, things?
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:00 pm Are the punishments for breaking this rule set out anywhere or is it another of those make it up if we have to, depending on the club, things?
Put it this way they won’t be going after Newcastle when they Saudis by the naming rights to the training ground kettle for £1 Billion.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Everton signed a number of extra players in January alone. Most haven’t played but Mykolenko has been regular for the end to the season. Not that there could be any precedent for estimating one player’s worth in a relegation battle…
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

wolf359 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:02 pm Put it this way they won’t be going after Newcastle when they Saudis by the naming rights to the training ground kettle for £1 Billion.
No. Man City do the same. I don't think Everton have though.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1380 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Could be legs to this story. Shouldn't make rules then break them.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:35 pm Could be legs to this story. Shouldn't make rules then break them.
worst outcome for them - they get told they've been naughty boys and don't let it happen again. and a suspended fine.

haven't City AND PSG been "convicted" twice for similar offences ?

I think that City have a case still ongoing.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/manches ... sds2hfg8m4

https://www.republicworld.com/sports-ne ... eport.html
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I don’t understand how their reported losses less the ‘forgivable’ COVID related loss of £170m actually gets them under the threshold.

I’m even more confused how they work out that their COVID loss was £170m. That’s more than three times what other clubs of their size have suggested…..unless they’re suggesting it was due to COVID cost them champions league.

It stinks tbh
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Kermit wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:38 pm They are bang to rights. But, seriously, this is England and the year is 2022. Do you honestly believe the authorities will have the cojones to actually do something about it ? Or for that matter take actions against those clubs where players and managers were attacked by fans who invaded various pitches recently ?

I guess that, like me, you aren't holding your breath.
Well they ****ing well did to us!

And they had no right too in the end, either. No thanks to a doddery old Judgey ****.

If its good enough to heavily fine us, then it's good enough for other Clubs too.

That's the trouble when you set a precedent, it'll always come back to haunt you - i.e. The Premier League/FA.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Re: Here we go again

Post by prophet:marginal »

Absolutely nothing to see here.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We've just lost £200m in gate money because of covid.....honestly, occifer.

What do you mean I'm drunk?

Of course I can walk in a straight line...it's the bloke who drew it that was pissed.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Colours never run wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:24 pm Well they ****ing well did to us!

And they had no right too in the end, either. No thanks to a doddery old Judgey ****.
People seem to forget that it was found that our CEO had misled the court and that we opened our own trap door.

We even agreed to have it litigated voluntarily!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:44 pm worst outcome for them - they get told they've been naughty boys and don't let it happen again. and a suspended fine.

haven't City AND PSG been "convicted" twice for similar offences ?

I think that City have a case still ongoing.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/manches ... sds2hfg8m4

https://www.republicworld.com/sports-ne ... eport.html
That's all UEFA, 'Oust - the Everton "breach" is a different set of FFP regs... Premier League. They are probably mutually contradictory too :lol: . They're all 'kin useless.
The Straw
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 1425 likes

Post by The Straw »

I don't really know anything about Everton's blatant breaking of the rules. But what I do know is that they will spend the required amount of money on legal help that will see them OK.

But post 2007 I was absolutely astonished at how our club allowed itself to be crucified in the media and battered up in about 4 different courts of law until we were defeated with no possible appeal. Shame on whoever oversaw that. The club allowed itself to be smashed up financially and socially. The narrative was never challenged. And it stuck.

Even to this very day our own fans refer to 'the Tevez goal that kept us up'. A point would have done us. The victory was nice but not crucial.

Nobody stuck up for us, not even ourselves.

Everton will fight this and win.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3025 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

With Lampard at the helm, surely Everton could argue they've already been punished sufficiently ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3025 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:05 pm People seem to forget that it was found that our CEO had misled the court and that we opened our own trap door.

We even agreed to have it litigated voluntarily!
Didn't he blame it on a secretary or something in the end that she hadn't read the paperwork correctly ?

Wasn't it because if he admitted he had misled the court he was done for in a professional capacity ?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Kia Joorabchian bided his time and then told Sheff United's lot that we had lied to the tribunal that was set up in the weeks before the end of the Great Escape season.

The whole house of cards came down after that.