Europa Conference League 22-23

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gazmundo
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Re: Europa Conference League 22-23

Post by Gazmundo »

If we were to get to the final and win it I wonder if the team would be allowed to change shirts or put on tracky tops (into C&B) between the final whistle and lifting the trophy.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:28 pm BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. In that case let's field the kids on Thursday and focus on survival.
Or - and hear me out here - we could try and win the UECL in spite of whatever kit we end up having to wear?

I can not want us to have to wear the **** orange kit and want us to win at the same time you know. They call that multi-tasking.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

We could walk out looking like contestants from Ru-Paul's drag race for all I care. As long as we win it!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I make us underdogs in the final.

Fiorentina have had a better league season than us, and Italian teams have enjoyed a bit of a renaissance this year and have out-performed the PL ones in every competition.

Four teams have now made the final in two seasons - each finalist having a stadium ranging from 43k-70k in size. The whole strategy of having 20k stadiums for finals looks misguided.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Agree Bubbs
Very happy we’re in the final but took the gloss of a little that Fiorentina won. Basel were holding on massively and they were 30 seconds from penalties sadly.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

sendô wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:51 pm Or - and hear me out here - we could try and win the UECL in spite of whatever kit we end up having to wear?

I can not want us to have to wear the **** orange kit and want us to win at the same time you know. They call that multi-tasking.
You know I was kidding right?
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

We are still the favourites. We've been the favourites at the group stage, and every game since.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ac-floren ... verein/430

Player for player, we are better.

In the CL, all the big clubs were stacked in on half of the draw. Man City beat the lot.
In the EL, Arsenal were beaten on penalties, Man Utd collapsed in Seville playing their reserves.
In the SCL we are in the final

Can't see the PL performing badly in Europe.

Fiorentina is 3 points off 12th, 5 off 13th. We're 3 points off 13th...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Whichever way you look at it, West Ham vs Fiorentina in a European final is a ****ing tasty sounding fixture. Footballing aristocracy :thup:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

szola wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:36 am We are still the favourites. We've been the favourites at the group stage, and every game since.
We are the favourites. 1.78 to win the thing based on the exchanges. I would say that's fair.

Fiorentina, like us, have picked up in the 2nd half of the season. They are also in the Coppa Italia final, so their cup football exploits this season are obviously very good.

Fiorentina are a very positive side when it comes to approach. They like the ball, they like to build, they like to have their full backs push up. It'll be an interesting match up and the game will end up open, because of it.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:57 am
Fiorentina, like us, have picked up in the 2nd half of the season. They are also in the Coppa Italia final, so their cup football exploits this season are obviously very good.
Indeed - they went on an absolutely blazing run during Feb, March & April, something like 14 games unbeaten (winning the majority), including AC at home and Inter away.

They, a bit like us, have goals from a few sources rather than 1 hitman.

This will be a great final, we can absolutely do it but we'll need to play well.

I often think playing in a smaller stadium - as much as it's a borderline criminal offence in terms of ticket numbers, might help stop the occasion getting to our lads. The stadiums in Italy don't tend to be anywhere like as intimate as ours (well, not ours, but in the UK).
1all

Post by 1all »

[*]j
Marky wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:03 am Just charter a plane like hundreds others
Flights to Wrocław Poland were 15.99 it’s only 4 hours away. I e hired a car when I get there cheap as chips
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:57 am We are the favourites. 1.78 to win the thing based on the exchanges. I would say that's fair.

Fiorentina are a very positive side when it comes to approach. They like the ball, they like to build, they like to have their full backs push up. It'll be an interesting match up and the game will end up open, because of it.
I don’t follow much Italian football anymore so not sure how good La Viola are nowadays. They obviously had a great side in the late 90s under Trappatoni with Batigol, Rui Costa, Toldo in goal and Edmundo.

Checking their side now they have Amrabat in midfield who looked world class in the WC - the match up between him and Rice will be key to the game.

Cabral up front is the chap we were sniffing around when he was at Basel, Milenkovic at CB is highly rated and they have Barak in midfield meaning both sides will have a Czech international starting at the Prague stadium.

Jovic flopped at Madrid but will be dangerous if he plays, I see they also have a couple of Argie internationals.

Difficult game for sure but I’m sure they will be thinking the same about us…
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Roby wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:24 pm I don’t follow much Italian football anymore so not sure how good La Viola are nowadays.
They're in 2 cup finals, so that should give some indication. Top half of their league after a much better 2nd half of the season. They have plenty of quality in Milenkovic, Cabral, Jovic, Amrabat, Nico Gonzalez etc...Infact, I'm sure we've been linked with a lot of these players ourselves.

As I said above, they are a team who like the ball and like to attack. They'll of course know that an open games suits us, but I don't expect a change. Indeed, they'll be facing a team with Rice, Paqueta, Zouma, Bowen, Benrahma etc. They'll know what we are about. It's going to be a thoroughly great game. As a non drinker, I might even need one or two myself. It should be open, entertaining and a white knuckle ride...
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

They're live on BT on Sunday afternoon against Torino.

Seems reasonable to think they'll play their best team next Wednesday in the Coppa Italia, doesn't it? That would give another chance for those of us who don't follow Serie A that closely to watch them.

I did notice from the statistics that they are also strong at set pieces, as well as being possession orientated, while there's a very heavy tilt in their points accumulation towards opponents whose league position is 12th or lower, just a couple of league wins against the Milan clubs outside of that.

Lost to Vlasic's Torino, doubled by Arnie's Bologna - Arnie scored in one of the games.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1372 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Back in the early 90s a mate of mine had a purple Fiorentina shirt. Gabriel Batistuta played for 'em and so did Dunga and going further back Daniel Passarella.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I wonder if anyone on here attended the Anglo-Italian Cup games in 1975/1976 season?
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:37 pm I wonder if anyone on here attended the Anglo-Italian Cup games in 1975/1976 season?
I went to the home leg, not the away.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

(just seen the post in the other thread)
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by Whitters »

Just arrived for a weekend in Florence…..perfect timing. Perhaps I’ll resist buying a football shirt while I’m here