Europa Conference League 22-23

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Re: Europa Conference League 22-23

Post by kitthehammer »

The way i see it is, we only take it seriously if we build enough of a useful squad this summer to cope with the league, europe, cups and not using the same 11 players for everything and having to save them or rest them before or after matches like this season. Because we did that and came up short.

If come august we have a decent enough squad from replacing those who have left/retired, brought in decent back ups, brought in extra players to replace those not good enough on the bench and use our kids, then it's feasible we can take on all fronts. If not then we are going to have to be selective and make a choice as to what our aims are. Or else possibly failing at everything.
I think our aim next season is get into the Europa League (and potentially champions league if we win that because we wont get a spot through the premier league final position). Then you have to weigh up, what is the best way we do that? League? Cup? or europa conference?

You have to be honest and ask why did we finish 7th whereas Man U, Spurs and Arsenal finished above us? Because they had little or no european matches and we had too small a squad. But i am also beginning to fear what an everton fan told me that Moyes can only work with a first 11. If that's the case, we will now have the likes of Newcastle competing against us, making it less likely we will reach the europa League next season through the premier league.

Along with the potential of players leaving next summer, i fear we really did mess up not getting into the europa league this season and it might be a while before we are in this position again. This summer we need to see the club and the manager show they are serious about a decent squad, not just a first 11. If they can't then unfortunately next season i can see us out of everything and at best a top half finish. Then our best players leaving.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

another season of european football is still a great achievement for this club. we havent done that before and after years of dross its nice to see us in the top 8 consistently. next year is a big year and hopefully we can get quality as well as quantity in as we will need it !

best chance is still to win a european competition. top 4 will win cups and we wont get in top 4 nor 6 probably.

all on the window
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Imagine if we were playing Roma this week in the final? We'd be well excited.

Bring it on.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Approach the first few months of the season prioritising the league, then the ECL play off and group stage, and bottom of the list by some margin is the League Cup.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We were fortunate with the group stage this season but we still used our best players for the most part.

The Conference should, in theory, provide a much less strenuous qualification than even our group did this year.

Before we know it, we should be comfortably sitting in the knockouts without having expended too much energy, at which point we should then probably be favoured in every match we play, bar maybe two or three potential opponents.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 am We were fortunate with the group stage this season but we still used our best players for the most part.

The Conference should, in theory, provide a much less strenuous qualification than even our group did this year.

Before we know it, we should be comfortably sitting in the knockouts without having expended too much energy, at which point we should then probably be favoured in every match we play, bar maybe two or three potential opponents.
Yes, there could be a drop off in the calibre of opponent providing we don't get drawn against a small number of teams who would be in pot one, and a good transfer window should give us better balance and quality in depth.

The transfer window needs to be a big improvement on the last two.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

cant be worse than the last one in january !
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:44 am cant be worse than the last one in january !
It can if Rice or Bowen leave
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

There seems to be a lot of Spursy comments in here from people seeing this tournament as somehow beneath a club that has not won a trophy for getting on for 43 years now off of the back of a single good run to a semi final in Europe. :thdn:
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Spurs played Pacos De Ferreira (Portugal), Vitesse Arnhem (Netherlands), Rennes (France) and Mura (Slovenia)

Leicester played Randers (Denmark), Rennes (France) , PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands), Roma (Italy).

Can't say that there's much obvious difference to Genk, Rapid Vienna and Dinamo Zagreb.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:16 am If the formats were the same as the old days we wouldn't have qualified for Europe last season or this
Depends how far you go back. 2 years ago 7th wouldve meant we qualify for the Europa League
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I'm looking forward to it and hope we have a decent enough squad depth to give it a proper go without giving too much away in the league.

As the days go on, I'm less annoyed about the EL outcome and just hope we bring in enough quality over the next couple of months.

I'd like to see our transfer business done early enough to give Moyse and the team a chance to gel properly so we can start on a good note next season.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

for me the key bit is get our main targets in early. however sully likes to save on weekly wages so dont hold your breath.

after supporting west ham since the seventies I am delighted by next seasons euro games. for those who are not then go and support man city !
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Colours never run wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:13 pm It begs the question, why were fans so bothered about getting in to 6th if it meant we 'qualified for Europe' anyway in 7th?
I wasn't. I was delighted to qualify for Europe again and am very excited for us to play in the ECL.

I've never seen us win a trophy in my life and I'm in my 40s now! I've also only ever seen us go on ONE decent European run in all that time. I consider this a fantastic opportunity to finally win something and qualify for Europe for the third season running. Based on that record, how any West Ham fan can turn their noses up at this competition is beyond me.

I'm sure we'd all have been jealous of Leicester if they'd ended up winning this competition. I definitely would have been.

It's nothing like the Intertoto. It's effectively the old Cup Winner's Cup. The teams competing in this year's semi-finals were high profile. I can understand teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc not being enthused by this competition given their successes over the last 20 years, but for any trophy starved West Ham fan regarding the tournament as two-bob or micky mouses, it's all in their own heads.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:50 am Depends how far you go back. 2 years ago 7th wouldve meant we qualify for the Europa League
I meant the original formats of European Cup, Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup from the 70s and 80s, which is what CNR mentioned
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

It's gonna be great fun, and we could win it.

No need to overthink it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 am I wasn't. I was delighted to qualify for Europe again and am very excited for us to play in the ECL.

I've never seen us win a trophy in my life and I'm in my 40s now! I've also only ever seen us go on ONE decent European run in all that time. I consider this a fantastic opportunity to finally win something and qualify for Europe for the third season running. Based on that record, how any West Ham fan can turn their noses up at this competition is beyond me.

I'm sure we'd all have been jealous of Leicester if they'd ended up winning this competition. I definitely would have been.

It's nothing like the Intertoto. It's effectively the old Cup Winner's Cup. The teams competing in this year's semi-finals were high profile. I can understand teams like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc not being enthused by this competition given their successes over the last 20 years, but for any trophy starved West Ham fan regarding the tournament as two-bob or micky mouses, it's all in their own heads.
If we had not been in the Europa League this year, been mid-table all season and sneaked 7th with a last minute run, i expect we would all have been buzzing for it

However, given we had really realistic hopes of qualifying the Champions League a couple of months ago and and such great coverage and positive publicity from our Europa League run, there is inevitable disappointment about this

Like everything, opinions are guided by context
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Even if our League form was poor to start, then we were knocked out of the Europa League by Frankfurt and went on a run to steal 7th we'd all be delighted.

It's disappointing because we were in top four contention right up until Moyes had to choose between resting players for Frankfurt or going all out against Arsenal.

Fine margins.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

The competition is perfect for us. Second successive season in Europe and the exposure that brings to the club, (and a realistic chance of a third if we win it). Thats progression, thats where we are right now as a club. In two or three seasons time we might (and its a BIG might) be challenging for 4th/5th in the PL. Currently we are a 6th/7th/8th club, and thats real progress. We have a strong team and team ethic, we have stability within the club, -manager/board/scouts/academy/stadium.. these things take time. Yes yesterday was an opportunity missed, but thats sport..you roll the dice. Lets look forward to four or five solid additions and we go again. It really isnt all doom and gloom. The season and this competition will continue to be great experience for the club and a great experience for us long suffering fans.. Enjoy !!!
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:53 am Even if our League form was poor to start, then we were knocked out of the Europa League by Frankfurt and went on a run to steal 7th we'd all be delighted.

It's disappointing because we were in top four contention right up until Moyes had to choose between resting players for Frankfurt or going all out against Arsenal.

Fine margins.
We finished 15 points behind 4th place.
It wasn't down to resting a few players for a few games, it's because we don't have as many really good players, or as many good players to bring on from the bench / replace injured players, as the top four (probably top six) clubs.
We did well to finish in the top 7, qualify for Europe and make the Europa semi final.
I'm very pleased to be in Europe for another season.
It's not realistic to expect to match the top six (maybe seven now) unless we have the money spend to that they do (and spend it!).