Europa Conference League 22-23

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Re: Europa Conference League 22-23

Post by HammerMan2004 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:44 am Funny one last night, it didn't really feel like a major european cup final like the Rangers Vs Frankfurt game did. Im not sure whether it was down to the fact there was no British teams in it, or an unnecessarily small stadium or mourinho's boring tactics but it just felt like a pre season competition final. I didn't see no build up to it on the news or anything, and unless you looked for it, you wouldn't even know it was on

All throughout the tournament it hasn't got much publicity, maybe cause its brand new, and I think it being the same nights as the europa league doesn't help but their just doesn't seem to be any buzz around the competition.
Try telling these guys…

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3190 likes
Total likes: 2329 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am The final is in Prague.

Stadium only holds 20,400 though. Seems unnecessarily small for a European final.
They wanted to make sure Tomas and Vlad's families didn't have too far to travel.
Yodi
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by Yodi »

mushy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:22 am You mean no chance as against hardly any chance.
I think you are whistling in the dark, the current setup is so geared towards the top clubs that even if we had got 4th spot we still would have only got 4% of the money that Chelsea will get for doing exactly the same thing.
The odds against anyone but the selected few regularly qualifying for the champions League are astronomical without massive year on year squad investment.
And we know that's not happening.
Are you claiming if we qualified for the champions league we would only get 4% of the income that Chelsea get for being in the competition?

Please explain
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Kermit »

Albie Beck wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:51 am ONE of the bigger competitions?? :eh:
The only one bigger was the old European Cup, and the CWC was only slightly below in status, being comprised of WINNERS. Unlike the UEFA cup which was for also rans.

UEFA couldn't leave it alone though, because they wanted to involve as many teams as possible and so increase the revenue. So they did away with that pure KO format and brought in the groups etc.

We won the competition that was only half a step below the European Cup. Let's not devalue it.
Disagree. The UEFA cup was always a harder competition to win because it had the next best teams in the various domestic league taking part in it.
When we won the ECWC it was the only other proper competition , apart from the European Cup, there was no UEFA cup at that time because the old European Fairs Cup was still going on and back then some cities even entered a kind of mix and match line up for those games. It technically wasn't even a club competition but for cities that had held a trade fair.

But once the UEFA cup started it was a much more prestigious competition than the ECWC because it had a better quality of team in it. And I have absolutely no problem with UEFA engineering the formats to allow more clubs outside the so called elite to enjoy the experiences of European football.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 am But Roma and Mourinho won it yesterday, they were emotional, the fans were going mental. It wasn’t won by AIK Fishermen FC.
Top club to be honest.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

A great trophy win for Roma and Mourinho. It's clear to see how much they all think of this competition. It's only PL snobbery from Sky and the "big 6" that is devaluing this competition.

We've got a good chance in this, and it'd be a great cup for us to win.

Just think though, if Spurs had held onto Mourinho they might have a trophy now.
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Whilst the Cup Winners Cup was considered to be the second most prestigious trophy, it was easier to win than the UEFA Cup.
The UEFA Cup had one more round and generally had the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best teams from each country, whereas cup winners weren't necessarily the best team. We were second division when we reached the quarter final in 1981, although arguably at this time were still one of the best teams in the country - certainly 'on our day'.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 am It wasn’t won by AIK Fishermen FC.

No, but they did beat Spurs! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

This past season did the stature of our club a world of good. Staying in European competition with the Conference League continues that trend.

There is absolutely no reason to malign this tournament. As most are pointing out, Roma winning the competition immediately puts some prestige and pride on the trophy. They are a huge club with fantastic players and a (mostly past it) world class manager.

I can't wait for us to do well in this competition this season. AND they are already highlighting us as one of the big clubs in the Conference.

So jealous of you that can go to these games. Live it up for the rest of us lads.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think the Conference League is looked down on in this country (me included) because recently our clubs have been so successful in Europe
In Italy, none of their clubs have got anywhere near wihhing the Champions League for ages, so this gives Roma a bit of glory/one upmanship domestically that others are not getting

If we win it it would be great, but would be completely usurped in the nations conciousness by the fact English clusb are likely to go very deep (and probably win) the Chanpions League and Europa League

That was the best bit for me with the Europa League. Thursday night was West Ham's night. We were the biggest English team in it, and the only English team in it after the group stages so for one night a week, we were the top dogs with coverage all over the media and our own branded coverage on BT Sport! We looked down on Spurs and Arsenal for once from our lofty perch

We win this next year and it will be superb for us to win a trophy, especially for the lucky few who are are there, but it is likely to be a 'so what' for the rest of the country, which is a shame. Not saying it should be like that, but that is they way it is

Get in the Champions League and all of a sudden people sit up and take notice of us again, especially if Arsenal and Spurs are not in it
Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 164 likes

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

brownout wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 am Whilst the Cup Winners Cup was considered to be the second most prestigious trophy, it was easier to win than the UEFA Cup.
The UEFA Cup had one more round and generally had the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best teams from each country, whereas cup winners weren't necessarily the best team. We were second division when we reached the quarter final in 1981, although arguably at this time were still one of the best teams in the country - certainly 'on our day'.

Whilst I don’t disagree that years ago the UEFA Cup had a better quality of team’s overall

The reason the ECWC was seen by UEFA as more prestigious is you had to win a trophy to qualify. The winner went to the European Super Cup when founded in 1972 . Yes England had the League Cup to qualify for the UEFA cup but most other European leagues only had one cup competition

In the past a main countries club domestic cup was prestigious to win .

Once the champions league started with clubs finishing 2nd to 4th able to qualify for the champions league many domestic cups with qualification for the ECWC lost their shine by 1999 it was abolished. UEFA cup already with league place qualification easiest to maintain in it’s current form
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Fair enough if that's your view, but I don't ever remember the UEFA cup being more highly regarded. It was always the "losers' cup" - until the Champions League started (with most of the losers now included :D ).
Kermit wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:13 am I have absolutely no problem with UEFA engineering the formats to allow more clubs outside the so called elite to enjoy the experiences of European football.
The elite that UEFA had created themselves with the CL.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:33 am I think the Conference League is looked down on in this country (me included) because recently our clubs have been so successful in Europe
In Italy, none of their clubs have got anywhere near wihhing the Champions League for ages, so this gives Roma a bit of glory/one upmanship domestically that others are not getting

If we win it it would be great, but would be completely usurped in the nations conciousness by the fact English clusb are likely to go very deep (and probably win) the Chanpions League and Europa League

That was the best bit for me with the Europa League. Thursday night was West Ham's night. We were the biggest English team in it, and the only English team in it after the group stages so for one night a week, we were the top dogs with coverage all over the media and our own branded coverage on BT Sport! We looked down on Spurs and Arsenal for once from our lofty perch

We win this next year and it will be superb for us to win a trophy, especially for the lucky few who are are there, but it is likely to be a 'so what' for the rest of the country, which is a shame. Not saying it should be like that, but that is they way it is

Get in the Champions League and all of a sudden people sit up and take notice of us again, especially if Arsenal and Spurs are not in it
I really don’t care what Arsenal, Tottenham or the rest of the country think of us to be honest.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2401 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It isn't necessarily what they think of us but more getting the coverage and the profile.
I have had decades of Spues qnd Arsenal mates (mainly Spurs qs my Arsenal pals are alright) having the upper hand and giving it the biggun qnd it is nice when we can turn the tables for once
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1982 likes
Total likes: 4731 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Yodi wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:11 am Are you claiming if we qualified for the champions league we would only get 4% of the income that Chelsea get for being in the competition?

Please explain
Co-efficient effects your earnings as well as your seeding.

I read Tottenham earned more from being knocked out of the conference league than we did from the Europa League. May have changed as we went to the Semi-Final but they were getting more per match for sure.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

so what would you be willing to sacrifice to win the europa conference if you have to rest/save players?
League
league cup
fa cup

one, two or three of those?
none?
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

The reason English teams devalue it is because being in the Premier League gives them so much cash whereas doing well in these cups probably enables you to buy 1 player at the end of it, if you are successful in the competition. Plus you probably get a bigger audience for the average Prem TV game than the Conference League. It will take a few years but it will probably recoginised as being prestigious in time.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

kitthehammer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 pm so what would you be willing to sacrifice to win the europa conference if you have to rest/save players?
League
league cup
fa cup

one, two or three of those?
none?
As long as Moyes is in charge for 2023/2024, I'd take 17th and two immediate exits in the domestic cups to win the Conference League. A trophy and another run at the Europa League the next season :newthumb:
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 342 likes

Post by Kermit »

Albie Beck wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:35 pm Fair enough if that's your view, but I don't ever remember the UEFA cup being more highly regarded. It was always the "losers' cup" - until the Champions League started (with most of the losers now included :D ).

The elite that UEFA had created themselves with the CL.
Whatever the reason for the creation of the "elite" I still have no problem with more clubs being given the opportunity of competing in a European competition. As I said previously clubs of West Ham's stature would never get a sniff of Europe if there was no Europa or Conference league competitions.
Eastcote
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Eastcote »

sendô wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:17 am A great trophy win for Roma and Mourinho. It's clear to see how much they all think of this competition. It's only PL snobbery from Sky and the "big 6" that is devaluing this competition.

We've got a good chance in this, and it'd be a great cup for us to win.

Just think though, if Spurs had held onto Mourinho they might have a trophy now.

Nah, think about :chin: