Europa Conference League 22-23

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Re: Europa Conference League 22-23

Post by Wembley1966 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:24 am If I've understood the Serie A rankings properly - Roma would not have qualified for the Europa League next season if they hadn't won this competition. They finished 6th in Serie A, which is a Conference League place.

It's effectively 'promoted' them in european competition unless they got a Coppa Italia cup winners' slot by default.
Inter Milan won the Coppa Italia which is a Europa League place. However Inter finished 2nd in the league and qualified for the Champions League, therefore Roma in 6th place gets that Europa League place.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

We've got to embrace it. This is a competition that we surely have a realistic chance of winning. A european trophy. How the feck any one supportinhg West Ham can turn their noses up at it is beyond me. 🤔
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

It’ll be just as difficult as all the other European competitions.

For all the talk over how great the Premier League is not a single team won any of the European competitions this season. Meanwhile the major European leagues produced 1 winner. La Liga’s Real Madrid for the Champions League, Bundesliga’s Eintracht Frankfurt for the Europa League and Seria A’s Roma for the Europa Conference League. Even a flaming Scottish team made 1 of the finals!

As long as the play-off draws and the group stage is kind to us we can make the knockout stages. But it’ll be a challenge after that. And we need to make sure by the end of this transfer window we have better quality in the defensive positions this time. Do that, and who knows what could happen.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I cant wait for the european matches. great excitement and chance to see different teams although the refs are still bad !
we havent won a euro trophy for ages and our last cup was the fa cup in 1980. yes we have a chance to win this but there will be a few big teams with vast euro experience in it that we will need to be wary of.
the key as always is whether we have a good window and our players are rested more than this season.

final in Prague should be good.

our best chance of winning something and not to be ignored. the fa and league cups go to the top 4 every season . top 4 is likely out of our reach. so a top 6 finish and a euro trophy would be fantastic.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:35 am
final in Prague should be good.
For about 5000 of us who’ll get tickets.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

I will go regardless if we get there
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

The key is for none of the big Europa League teams to have a poor group stage and end up 3rd.

I hate that second chance b*llocks. The Conference League was littered with it last season I think with Leicester and Marseille.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:52 am The key is for none of the big Europa League teams to have a poor group stage and end up 3rd.

I hate that second chance b*llocks. The Conference League was littered with it last season I think with Leicester and Marseille.
I'd be amazed if anyone who drops through is better than the range of teams we beat last season both in the PL and Europa.

We simply dropped a bollock in both the semi final legs and yet still 'should' have won. We beat ourselves.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:02 am I'd be amazed if anyone who drops through is better than the range of teams we beat last season both in the PL and Europa.

We simply dropped a bollock in both the semi final legs and yet still 'should' have won. We beat ourselves.
A painful truth that I’m not sure I’ll ever get over mate.

I just hope we can get ourselves into a similar position again soon.
hammersk
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by hammersk »

We had one of the easiest Europa League groups possible.

We dropped a bollock by not signing anyone.

Still, as long as we have Rice, we’ve got a chance.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3159 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

We played with a very small squad in an exhausting season.

We needed January signings to mix things up and provide some respite, but the semi finals we shot ourselves in the foot. Cresswell’s sending off effectively ended the tie.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 pm We played with a very small squad in an exhausting season.

We needed January signings to mix things up and provide some respite, but the semi finals we shot ourselves in the foot. Cresswell’s sending off effectively ended the tie.
I don't think left back was on the list in January either, another striker or defender would've helped in the league, especially in games like Arsenal where we lacked height at the back, but Cresswell likely plays against Frankfurt regardless.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Proved we can mix it with some Decent Euro Sides...Bloody unlucky not reaching final which pretty certain we would have won..
Would Love to win this...
Anyway gotta make the Flamin Thursday/Sunday S**t Worthwhile...looks like we're stuck with it for a while,top 4 gonna be Harder than ever
next season.
And be P****ed off we finish outside the 7 now.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

funky chicken wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:50 am It’ll be just as difficult as all the other European competitions.

For all the talk over how great the Premier League is not a single team won any of the European competitions this season. Meanwhile the major European leagues produced 1 winner. La Liga’s Real Madrid for the Champions League, Bundesliga’s Eintracht Frankfurt for the Europa League and Seria A’s Roma for the Europa Conference League. Even a flaming Scottish team made 1 of the finals!

As long as the play-off draws and the group stage is kind to us we can make the knockout stages. But it’ll be a challenge after that. And we need to make sure by the end of this transfer window we have better quality in the defensive positions this time. Do that, and who knows what could happen.
I think we're very fortunate, or some might say unfortunate, that we have two of the very best sides in Europe playing here at the moment. That is what gives the Premier League the "best in the world" tag. And of course it's not dominated by one club (yet ?) like the Bundesliga and, although Lille won the title last year, France.

I'm hoping we get a favourable qualifier in the conference. Wouldn't fancy having to see off someone like Villarreal so early in the season before the group stage gets underway,.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ We will be seeded for the play off so cannot face Villarreal. There's 34 teams in our play off section that are split into 17 seeded and 17 unseeded teams. Villarreal and us enter at the play off stage. The other 6 listed below with a better coefficient enter during the qualifying rounds and assuming that they all get through to the play offs, the initial seeding with coefficient points will look like:

Villarreal - 78.000
FC Basel - 55.000
Slavia Praha - 52.000
Young Boys - 37.000
PAOK Thessaloniki - 25.000
Istanbul Basaksehir - 25.000
Maccabi Tel-Aviv - 24.500
West Ham United - 21.328

4 teams come down from the Europa in to the play offs that may have a better coefficient than us - but at worst we will be 12th out of the 17 seeded teams.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

cant wait for it and hopefully with me getting a season ticket I should be ok for tickets this time and not have the mad scramble and stress of this season just gone !
our best chance of winning anything next season. fa and league cups - city/liverpool top 4 city liverpool chelsea arsenal

CL liverpool
Europa cup man utd
Euro conf WHU

:crylol: :crylol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Villareal are favourites for this competition, by a margin.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:43 pm Villareal are favourites for this competition, by a margin.
Are there odds out already?

They’ve done well the last couple of years obviously but they really aren’t anything better than Sevilla. Especially if they lose Pau Torres and/or Arnaut Danjuma this summer.

If we do what we are supposed to this summer when it comes to adding half a dozen of the players we are linked to, I would say we are at least as likely to win the tournament as them.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:12 am Are there odds out already?

They’ve done well the last couple of years obviously but they really aren’t anything better than Sevilla. Especially if they lose Pau Torres and/or Arnaut Danjuma this summer.

If we do what we are supposed to this summer when it comes to adding half a dozen of the players we are linked to, I would say we are at least as likely to win the tournament as them.
Your C&B specs have a stronger tint than mine.

This is their 8th campaign in continental competition in a row.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:22 am Your C&B specs have a stronger tint than mine.

This is their 8th campaign in continental competition in a row.
It's not really relevant what their team was like in 2015 though, to be fair. Sevilla were the Europa GOATs and we beat them.

I won't necessarily make a case that we are clearly better than them, but I'm confident that they aren't favourites to win the competition by a margin. Or at least, they shouldn't be.

Player for player, their current squad is good but nothing special. We have the best player between both squads. Probably the best defender too, certainly would be the case if Pau Torres leaves. A best XI of the combined squads would go at least half and half, if not favour us.

I would probably say that it should be us and Villarreal with about the same odds to win the competition, and out in front of anyone else at the moment.