The French corner [non WHU]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Re: The French corner [non WHU]

Post by Albie Beck »

Misko wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:56 am I'm working on it. It takes time, I'm doing my best!
No rush, Misko we'll be here all summer :D

It's the Sullivan way
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Misko wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:56 amI'm working on it. It takes time, I'm doing my best!
:thup:
Misko
Has liked: 492 likes
Total likes: 1391 likes

Post by Misko »

So, here comes the midfield section. I will first list the CDM/CM that I find worth mentioning. I will skip the PSG stars, Tchoumaéni (he is good in every possible way, let's put it this way, and will move to a top club for sure), Kamara or even Sarr from Metz who already signed for your beloved Spurs.

- Cheick Doucouré (Lens, 22yo, 5'10) : For the second season in the row, Lens did better than expected, reaching the 7th place both years. One of the key players in these successes is undeniably Doucouré even if others are attracting more attention. He is a very inteligent player, reading the game perfectly and stopping zillions of the opponent passes every game. Once he recovered the ball, he makes a very good use of it, through progressive passes or carries. He doesn't try to show off, he plays simple and good. His power makes him a very hard player to pass. He probably has to level up his game should he be playing in Premier League, but my guts tell me he has what it takes to do so.

- Ibrahima Sissoko (Strasbourg, 24yo, 6'3) : Physically impressive, he is quite all rounded. He can play as a deep lying DM or as a powerful box to box midfielder. He can also drop down in central defense where his height and power are rather useful. He covers a lot of distance during a game, blocking many balls thanks to his very long legs. His passing game might be tagged as average, but he still delivered 5 assists this year. He can create havoc in the opponent's defense when he is carrying the ball, thanks to his power and pace. His footwork is quite surprising according to his stature but his decision making is far from being clinical. He also tends to commit numerous fouls, mostly in challenges against smaller players who really look like children being bullied by an out of control grown up.

- Bonke Innocent (Lorient, 26yo, 6'0) : Now this is a name that should never make to a list for Premier League. He played all his professional career in Norway and Sweden, getting to play in UCL with Malmö this year. Out of contract during the winter, Lorient snatched him on a free. He never scored a goal at pro level and barely recorded assists. So why the hell am I wasting everyone's time with him now? Because I really love the intensity he brings to the game. He is a very old fashion DM, harrassing the opponents, fighting, tacking, pressing non stop. He is everywhere, you can't get rid of him. He has ridiculous offensive stats but amazing defensive ones. With the ball, his only capability is to pass it to a more skillful player, but he does it good, avaeraging 90% of pass completion (short, mid and long distance all at the same level). I find him as a great utility player and he would be available for almost nothing.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Anyone with the name Bonke Innocent should definitely be signed.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Misko wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:06 pm - Bonke Innocent

He is a very old fashion DM, harrassing the opponents, fighting, tacking, pressing non stop. He is everywhere, you can't get rid of him.
So like a poundshop Kante?
BromleyHammer
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by BromleyHammer »

mushy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:43 pm Anyone with the name Bonke Innocent should definitely be signed.
Should sign Rod Fanni to partner him.
Misko

Post by Misko »

Still central midfielders, but more offensive minded now.

- Gerson (Marseille, 25yo, 6'1) : A totally different player. He is a very skillful, elegant, smooth player. His defensive contribution is limited but he s great a holding the ball up, good vision, great connection with his teammates Guendouzi and Payet to create danger in the middle of static defenses. He need a bit of time to adapt to European football when he came from Brazil, but he still got 9 goals and 4 assists. I really think he is a quality player but he probably need to be in a team with possession and a rather slow approach to the game.

- Renato Sanches (Lille, 24yo, 5'9) : Frankly speaking, I hate this player. But if I do, it's probably because he's good. He is a very provocative fellow, having the knack to get his opponents out of their game. He would drive you mad by all his diving, screaming, rolling on the pitch. But, he is super skillful with the ball in his feet. He can dribble anybody, his long passes are most of the time brilliant, and he is very dangerous on long shots. He plays in a defensive minded team, and on the counter attacks, he creates a maximum danger as his capable of anything at full speed. Definitively an energizer, but he is a very injury prone and he needs to be 100% fit to perform, otherwise, he is quite useless or even a burden to the rest of the team.

- Seko Fofana (Lens, 27yo, 6'0) : one of the sensation of last season in France. He impressed by his goal scoring abilities, his leadership and his ability to be "clutch" (late winners or equalizers, decisive tackles). He plays in a rather box to box role, but he actually is very little contributing to the defensive part. But he is really impressive when he carries the ball in crazy runs in the middle of the defense. He is also very good in link up plays in short perimeters. His expolosivity makes all his actions in the last 30 yards energizing which seemed to fill his team with confidence even against the bigger teams. They made PSG suffer as very few teams could this year. I think his lack of defensive contribution would be a problem to go higher, and I am always suspicious about late bloomers, but he really has something special.

- Benjamin Bourigeaud (Rennes, 28yo, 5'10) : the real underdog. I don't know how to put it without sounding like a total knob, but I am convinced that if he didn't look so "average Joe" and didn't go by a name that cries deep rural France, he would be valued much higher. He can play everywhere (CM, ACM, LW, RW). He is committed, hard working, elegant, clever, and has a deadly right foot. Crosses, long balls, through passses, set pieces, he masters it all. He is probably the best corner taker in the Ligue 1. 11 goals, 12 assists this year. Of course, he is not the fastest, not the tallest, not the strongest. But give him partners who run and he'll feed them over and over. One year left on the contract, reportedly willing to discover a new country, targetted by Mourinho for AS Roma it seems. No doubt there is a potential steal here.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

This is amazing. Thank you!

can’t wait for strikers and whether you will include Bayo!
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 612 likes

Post by NedN »

I was happy with the prospect of Bissouma signing, but given his potential legal troubles, I think I’d prefer Bonke Innocent!!! who I can only imagine does not engage in such off-field antics!
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Let's just buy that last fella. The French Ward Prowse.
Misko

Post by Misko »

A few odd ones before moving to the offensive players. I have doubts about their ability to move to the Premier League mostly due to their athletism. But they are fine players and could be useful.

Xeka and Benjamin André are 2 CDM (both "oldies", 28 and 31) from Lille who are the kind of blokes you love in your team. Hard working, aggressive (one could say nasty), not bothered by the ball, they definitely do the job well. The former will be out of contact this summer.

Adrien Thomasson from Strasbourg is of the same species than Bourigeaud. Same profile, same qualities, same limits. He's just a bit less good but he is one consistent player.

Branco van den Boomen was probably the best player of Ligue 2 with Toulouse. The Dutch CM had 12 goals and 21 assists. Brilliant on set pieces, he is the epitome of the old fashion playmaker (one daring comparison that crossed my mind is with Stefan Effenberg if you remember him). Late bloomer (27 yo) or one season wonder?

Lucien Agoumé on loan to Brest from Inter is a young powerful CDM. Athletism is not an issue here, just he is still raw material making errors and having discipline issues. A bit the same goes for Khéphren Thuram, the son of the 98 World Champion Lilian. He plays in Nice where he blows hot and cold. But he is for sure an impact player, when he starts, it's better being out of his way.
Last edited by Misko on Sat May 28, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

It must take a bit of vision to christen your child 'Bonke'
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Rob Newman in a zoom call to his scouts; ‘Lads, don’t worry about France, I’ve got it covered’

Newman sips coffee and continues reading KUMB.

Great thread 👍
Misko

Post by Misko »

Thanks for the compliments, but I have to warn you that I am no expert at all, so there is a high risk that all what I wrote about the players is wrong :crossed:

The season is officially over in France.

Bordeaux, Metz and Saint-Étienne are relegated to Ligue 2 while Toulouse, AC Ajaccio and Auxerre are promoted.

Bordeaux and Saint-Étienne combine 16 league titles and 10 French cups plus 2 European cups finals. Both clubs are in a critical financial situation, there are real doubts about their ability to go on next year. Bankruptcy seem unavoidable for the former and the latter is being to sell for more than one year and the clock is ticking.

Saint-Étienne played for survival yesterday against Auxerre and lost in the shootouts. The fans handled it particularly well:

They were already under high scrutiny with many violent issues during the season. The sanctions could be extremely severe.
Swindon Iron
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Swindon Iron »

My brother in law is a St Etienne fan and had said it would proper kick off if they were relegated, sounds like they could be in for a rough few years. They seem to be in a bit of a mess financially.
Captain Black
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Captain Black »

I have to say this is one of the best threads I have read, really informative, despite Misko's caveat of " mind you it might all be bolloxs"....... :smiler:

Keep up the great work and who knows, you can claim bragging rights if we sign anyone on your extensive field report.

Cheers for all the effort Misko.........
thamesideiron
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Misko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:24 am Saint-Étienne played for survival yesterday against Auxerre and lost in the shootouts. The fans handled it particularly well
When we drop,we'd all just trot off down the Boleyn,Queens,or which ever Pub,have a few to drown our sorrows...then
look at Div 2/Championship Leagues and start planning next seasons away days....

We don't stay sad for long.... :lol:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 30, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Misko, as others have said, great thread. Thank you for your in-depth posts and providing a lens into French football.

Are there any players worth going for from the relegated clubs?

I see Bordeaux have Niang who we have been linked with on plenty of occasions down the years. Harold Moukoudi at St Etienne is another one we were linked to in the past.

Yacine Adli looks like a player who has a lot of first team football under his belt despite a tender age. Is he any good?

We are already looking at what North African at Rennes, how is Dylan Bronn at Metz?

BBC listed Etienne Green as one of the brightest young players in world football but I am not sure if that was more because of his name and the relative novelty of an English player getting decent game time in a foreign league.
Misko

Post by Misko »

Swindon Iron wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:40 am My brother in law is a St Etienne fan and had said it would proper kick off if they were relegated, sounds like they could be in for a rough few years. They seem to be in a bit of a mess financially.
For the last 20 years, the club have had two heads, Bernard Caïazzo and Roland Romeyer. That has undermined a certain form of stability as it happens more than often that one would push players and staff over the ones of the other man. But they managed somehow to get some successes with several qualifications to Europe and a League cup (the competiton no longer exists) in 2013.

However, the Covid took a massive toll to the club revenues, pulling it down a very tight path. Getting relegated in Ligue 2 is probably too much for the club to survive. That's why Caïazzo and Romeyer are willing to sell it since last year. But no serious plan to take it over was proposed, despite some reported interest from American investors. It is now likely that the pro section will simply disappear (same thing happened to Strasbourg in 2007).
Misko

Post by Misko »

ChzMff wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:00 pm Misko, as others have said, great thread. Thank you for your in-depth posts and providing a lens into French football.

Are there any players worth going for from the relegated clubs?

I see Bordeaux have Niang who we have been linked with on plenty of occasions down the years. Harold Moukoudi at St Etienne is another one we were linked to in the past.

Yacine Adli looks like a player who has a lot of first team football under his belt despite a tender age. Is he any good?

We are already looking at what North African at Rennes, how is Dylan Bronn at Metz?

BBC listed Etienne Green as one of the brightest young players in world football but I am not sure if that was more because of his name and the relative novelty of an English player getting decent game time in a foreign league.
I highly doubt any player from these teams has what it takes to play well in the Premier League. Yet, there are of course some good ones among them :

- Yacine Adli (Bordeaux, 22yo, 6'1, CAM) : skilfull, good passer, active. But he lacks of the physical skills to bring it to the next level and decision making is erratic.

- Hwang Ui-jo (Bordeaux, 30yo, 6'0, ST) : A battling Joe who managed to score 11 goals in a fast sinking team. But he is very sloppy and limited in many aspects. Could be rotation for a midtable team.

- Alberth Ellis (Bordeaux, 26yo, 6'0, RW) : on loan from the portuguese side, Boavista. The Hondurian winger is aggresive and fast. He scored 9 goals, which is very decent. But he is really poor technically and lacks of almost everything a modern winger should have.

- Jean Onana (Bordeaux, 22yo, 6'2, CDM) : A strong and yet skillful defensive midfielder, he would probably be the most interesting player of the list. He is still very unexperienced and commits a lot of fouls and mistakes. He might become something very interesting, but Bordeaux was so woeful that it is hard to tell.

- Thimothée Pembélé (Bordeaux, 22yo, 6'0, RB) : on loan from PSG, it's just a prospect. He is able to run up and down the line for a whole game. He can have some nice rides, with a couple of dribbles, but he fails to make it decisive. Defensively, he still has to adjust to pro level as he can be very naive. There is potential but impossible for me to tell what to expect from him.

- Anel Ahmedhodzic (Bordeaux, 23yo, 6'2, CB) : A good surprise, the Bosnian international from Sweden played in UCL with Malmö and joined Bordeaux during the winter. Very useful on set pieces, he is a classic down to earth right-footed CB, not too fast but strong in the duels. I can see him developping in a dependable starter in Ligue 1.

- Boubakar Kouyaté (Metz, 25yo, 6'2, CB) : Tall, strong, powerful, aggressive. This is one physical defender, with all that it implies. Definitely not a friend of the ball, he gets the job done all right. Too limited for top flight football, he can be a good player in a relagation fighting team.

- Dylann Bronn (Metz, 27yo, 6'1, CB) : I think it is a decent player, quite skillfull for a CB, but in a poor Metz side, he failed to be the leader they needed. Rather smart in his positionning, he was not tidy enough in the challenges to give any chance of serenity to the team.

- Fabien Centonze (Metz, 26yo, 6'0, RB) : Few years ago, I was sure he would become a good player in the French League. He is still in Metz and had a difficult season, with a bad injury in January. He is a fast counter attacking RB, with decent defensive skills. I'd take him without any problem to be Gusto's backup next year.

- Boubacar Traoré (Metz, 20yo, 5'8, CM) : a raw potential, the player is very quick and strong, and he has some nice footwork but all the tactical approach of the game is to be learned. Could become interesting over the years.

- Paul Bernardoni (Saint-Etienne, 25yo, 6'2, GK) : A former top prospect who failed to establish himself as a regular starter anywhere. He has some nice qualities, being able to some great saves. But he lacks a bit of everything to make him a major keeper. Will probably continue being a starter in small teams or a backup in bigger ones.

- Denis Bouanga (Saint-Etienne, 27yo, 5'9, LW) : A fast and powerful winger who can play a bit everywhere on the attack. 9 goals, 6 assists, decent stats. A bit rough on the edges but useful to a small team.

- Mahdi Camara (Saint-Etienne, 23yo, 5'10, DCM) : Probably the most interesting player in Saint-Etienne squad. Good defensive skills (can even drop in defense), physically ready for the fiercest battles. He scored a goal yesterday in a crucial game. Will never enlight the game, but a good soldier.

- Adil Aouchiche (Saint-Etienne, 19yo, 5'11, ACM) : transferred last year from PSG academy, he made a good first season. He failed to confirm this year, being benched most of the season. He got some skills, notably on set pieces, but he really lacks of consitency. In a team with shattered confidence, he totally lost his football, but it could come back. The next year will be decisive for his career, I reckon.

- Arnaud Nordin (Saint-Etienne, 24yo, 5'7, RW) : a mediocre season for him, like most of the team. He is a fast winger, with decent footwork. He already has signed for Montpellier which is rather a good sign as this club is quite good at recruiting underdogs. I doubt he could ever be more than an average player, but he may reveal himself a bit more than that in an appropriate environment that he didn't have for sure in Saint-Etienne.

That's about it. So the answer about M'Baye Niang and Etienne Green is : no, they didn't show anything interesting at all. Etienne Green was even replaced by Bernardoni who found himself kicked out of a small team like Angers. He was woeful on several occasions, especially on set pieces and crosses which is not what you would expect from an English goalie :winker: Niang is totally messing up with his career. He is one serious case of big ego, small commitment. During his time in Montpellier, he wrecked his Ferrari whereas he had no driving license. He got sentenced to suspended jail time for that. I would highly recommend to stay away to this kind of nutjob.