Top Gun Maverick

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Top Gun Maverick

Post by Shabu »

I remember when Top Gun came out I was 17 & watched it with a new girlfriend. My reasoning was if she'd get turned on watching Tom Cruise I might get my end away. Funny how the male brain works in teenage years :lol:

Later on in life I somehow ended up in San Diego where the film was shot. I work in a building where some of the original movie was shot. I've had plenty of drinks in the BBQ joint where they had the Great Balls of Fire sing song.

And Kelly McGillis house was moved a few hundred yards & has now had a massive resort built around it. This was where I would start my bike rides from when I still had the balls to road cycle.

https://goo.gl/maps/NWFbwheM2Egh47FU6

Now 36 years later part 2 has been released & has an 8.7 rating on IMDB. I doubt very much if it will stay that high.

Who's going to watch it & why do you want to watch it?
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Re: Top Gun Maverick

Post by Denzil »

My mate at work who is a huge Top Gun fan (his fav all time movie) is absolutely raving about how good TGM is. He's going to watch it again. A mate of mine also went to watch over the weekend who loved it too.

A few guys from work were in SD for a conference recently and went to the Top Gun bar where the loving feeling scene was filmed. Said it's an absolute dive :crylol:

I'll be going to watch this movie at the cinema soon.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Thought I’d c+p my post from the cinema thread.

Top Gun:Maverick

What a fantastic film. Absolutely loved it.
The opening credits set the nostalgia theme with almost like for like titles.
From start to finish the whole film is an absolute joyride. After two shitty years, this is exactly the kind of thrill ride needed and it demands to be seen in the cinema, the camera work and photography is off the scale.
It may not be cerebrally challenging but who cares, sometimes you just need to sit down and watch a good old fashioned feel-good slice of Hollywood and this delivers in spades.
There’s plenty of nods to the original and it’s a film I would happily pay to go and watch again today.

Tom Cruise may not be the greatest actor there’s been but he has certainly been in a lot of hugely entertaining and successful movies. Top Gun:Maverick is certainly hugely entertaining and no doubt it will be smashing the box office
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Denzil wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:33 am My mate at work who is a huge Top Gun fan (his fav all time movie) is absolutely raving about how good TGM is. He's going to watch it again. A mate of mine also went to watch over the weekend who loved it too.

A few guys from work were in SD for a conference recently and went to the Top Gun bar where the loving feeling scene was filmed. Said it's an absolute dive :crylol:

I'll be going to watch this movie at the cinema soon.
Bloody hell. It's definitely not a dive bar but it is in a part of town where all the other restaurants are fancy or have lovely decor so I can see why you'd say that in context to the neighbourhood.

It's old though by American standards. Got burnt about 20 years ago I think (funny how pubs where I grew up in South East London were always catching fire mysteriously :lol: ). During NFL season it's full of Kansas fans & they all look alike. Men & women. Once they reach 40 they are just very white, very square shaped & have mullets.

If they come back I could take them to a few dive bars where we'll probably be the only ones not strapped or gang members.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:39 am Thought I’d c+p my post from the cinema thread.
I aplogise mate. I just thought a film like this deserved it's own thread.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hi has actually flown a fighter jet at 9G. One of very few pilots who have. I think that means 9 times the speed of sound. That's fast, very, very fast
The Terminator
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Shabu wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:30 am I remember when Top Gun came out I was 17 & watched it with a new girlfriend. My reasoning was if she'd get turned on watching Tom Cruise I might get my end away. Funny how the male brain works in teenage years :lol:
And did you?! :winker:
Chicken Run Supreme

Shabu wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:52 am I aplogise mate. I just thought a film like this deserved it's own thread.
No need to apologise Shabu, for obvious reasons the cinema thread died a death for two years and I thought I’d just upload my review.

Really is a great watch.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Just as a matter of interest, does any one how long it would take to fly from London to New York if you were flying at 9 times the speed of sound ?
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

The Terminator wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:04 am And did you?! :winker:
She fingered me. So I consider that a success.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:22 am Just as a matter of interest, does any one how long it would take to fly from London to New York if you were flying at 9 times the speed of sound ?
Google tells me that Mach 9 is almost 7000mph. It also tells me that New York is almost 3500 miles away from London as the crow flies. So, taking nothing else into account (flight path, conditions etc), you're looking at roughly half an hour.

As to Top Gun: Maverick: I'm torn on it. On the one hand, I quite like Tom Cruise, even though he's a nutjob. Magnolia, Vanilla Sky and Collateral are among my favourite movies of all time; I love what he's done with the Mission: Impossible franchise; and I've got a lot of time for a few of his other pictures too, including Minority Report, Interview With the Vampire, War of the Worlds and even Eyes Wide Shut. On the other hand, I thought Top Gun (Scott, 1986) was a load of auld cockpunch. Then again though, I haven't seen Too Gun since I saw it at the cinema in 1986 (it was the first and only film I ever went to see whilst underage, not yet being fifteen at that time), so maybe I'm being harsh on it. I dunno.

Maybe I'll take a second look at the first movie, see if it inspires me to take a gander at this one.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

well that doesn't seem realistic.
Chicken Run Supreme

When you feel the need, you feel the need
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:22 am Just as a matter of interest, does any one how long it would take to fly from London to New York if you were flying at 9 times the speed of sound ?
You would arrive before you left Puff :crylol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

smashed all of his previous Box Office records according to the telly this morning. of course it might be ALL time but I was trying to get a large cup of coffee down I could have misheard..

while not the greatest actor he's been in some bloody magnificent films !!!!!!
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Shabu wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:23 am She fingered me. So I consider that a success.
ottsands, that you?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

This film is outstanding.

I saw it Saturday and I've already booked to see it again.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

WCpete wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:22 pm ottsands, that you?
Ahhh, miss that guy.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

last.caress wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:46 am
Maybe I'll take a second look at the first movie, see if it inspires me to take a gander at this one.
I enjoyed the first one but was never completely enamoured with it for some reason, unusual for me as 'War' films as a genre are probably my favourite.

However I saw Maverick on Wednesday at my local IMAX and loved it, would happily go and see it again. Thrilling flight sequences and plenty of humour in the right places made it a great watch. My 11 year old daughter said it was the best film she's ever seen so something for all ages there too
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

last.caress wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:46 am
I thought it was ok at the time but went to rewatch it a few months ago & didn't even finish it. It was terrible.

I can't actually think of too many Tom Cruise films I like. Cocktail. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.