LIV Golf Invitational Series

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: LIV Golf Invitational Series

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gol ... 98974.html

LIV Golf: Families of 9/11 victims outraged at Americans taking part in Saudi series

A group representing victims’ families and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attacks in the United States have accused the high-profile American players in the LIV Golf Series of sportswashing and betraying their country.

In a letter sent to the agents of Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Reed and Kevin Na, 911familiesunited.org expressed their outrage towards the players for competing in the Saudi-backed events.

“As you may know, Osama bin Laden and 15 of the 19 September 11 hijackers were Saudis,” wrote the organisation’s national chair Terry Strada, a mother of three whose husband, Tom, was on the 104th floor of the north tower of the World Trade Center during the attacks.

“It was the Saudis who cultivated and spread the evil, hate-filled Islamist ideology that inspired the violent jihadists to carry out the deadly 9/11 attacks.

“And, most egregiously, it is the Kingdom that has spent 20 years in denial: lying about their activities, and cowardly dodging the responsibility they bear. Yet these are your partners, and much to our disappointment, you appear pleased to be in business with them.

there's about a 150M and 120M reasons that will make Phil and Justin no doubt come out and say that they're trying to educate the Saudis.

and tell those families that it's important to keep an open dialogue.

don't expect them to quite the tour anytime soon.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Much as I understand their anger maybe they should look at their own countries trade deal for arms with the Saudis (their top buyer) before having a go at golfers
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote removed.
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

Silly money, sad rich individuals chasing it. Too many players who are nobodies. Not the best courses, 3 days to let the old boys last easier. Rubbish in terms of betting, If this catches on I wouldn't pay a penny to watch it. That is before you consider those behind it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

for the bigger names, they've won a major or several individually.

played the Ryder Cup and the other Cup whose name escapes me.

got big endorsement money. already made in MIckelson's case 300M but lost close to 40M gambling. makes 50M a year.

Dustin Johnson has ONLY made about 50M so far so you can see why he needs the money

however, LeBron just made Forbe's Richest List didn't he ? 600M and about 100M a year. he has had iirc a deal with Cleveland originally for maybe 20M as he was a rookie when he signed. went to Miami for around 100M, back to Cleveland for another 100M I think and then over to the Lakers for I'm guessing another 100M so I suppose we can all understand the need for getting paid what we're worth.

we can't even begin to imagine what all that money's about really.

as a side note there

Outside of sports, LeBron is one of the highest-earning and globally powerful celebrities on the planet. He earns more than $60-90 million per year in endorsements and has a $1 billion lifetime contract with Nike. He has parlayed his fame and wealth into a veritable business empire, with investments in a number of startups. He is a part owner of Liverpool F.C..
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

ironside58 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:28 pm Silly money, sad rich individuals chasing it. Too many players who are nobodies. Not the best courses, 3 days to let the old boys last easier. Rubbish in terms of betting, If this catches on I wouldn't pay a penny to watch it. That is before you consider those behind it.
3 days is to shake it up, golf is incredibly dull to watch outside the majors
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:23 pm 3 days is to shake it up, golf is incredibly dull to watch outside the majors
have a mate who loves it, watches all the stuff he can, and loves to play.

me, I'm a majors type of person. but the same can be said for pretty much any sport that isn't your main interest. my dear old dad loved horse racing, knew the reputations of the jockeys, trainers etc....

have a friend who every time I go over to his place, he's got tennis on. his mate was visiting the other week and knew every player pretty much who I'd never even heard of. told me which shots he was good at (and a couple of the women who played later)
etc etc.

now if I would have asked them to turn on a football game they'd have been lost.

each to their own.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

It's difficult to take a sport seriously when it can always be improved with the introduction of a windmill or two.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

alf git wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:35 pm It's difficult to take a sport seriously when it can always be improved with the introduction of a windmill or two.
Exactly. This is the most interesting thing to happen to golf since......forever. :chin:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

alf git wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:35 pm It's difficult to take a sport seriously when it can always be improved with the introduction of a windmill or two.
Now that's just crazy talk
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:23 pm 3 days is to shake it up, golf is incredibly dull to watch outside the majors
You clearly didn't watch the Canadian Open last night. Cracking golf, lots 9f tension, players in the prime of their careers, a very lively crowd

Pissed all over that geriatric nonsense at Centurian

In the short term the LIV tour will appeal to players like Reed and DeChambeau who still have qualification rights for the majors but that will run out soon for many players (unless they win another one of course)

A shot gun start is abysmal for building tension and viewing (both on TV and at the course). You don't get any scenes of players walking down the last etc. And the team thing was impossible to follow. Players till took five hours a round so didn't speed play up at all.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:11 am You clearly didn't watch the Canadian Open last night. Cracking golf, lots 9f tension, players in the prime of their careers, a very lively crowd

Pissed all over that geriatric nonsense at Centurian

In the short term the LIV tour will appeal to players like Reed and DeChambeau who still have qualification rights for the majors but that will run out soon for many players (unless they win another one of course)

A shot gun start is abysmal for building tension and viewing (both on TV and at the course). You don't get any scenes of players walking down the last etc. And the team thing was impossible to follow. Players till took five hours a round so didn't speed play up at all.

The PGA got very lucky yesterday as that last night was one of the rare decent finishes for a while

It's not often that exciting outside of the majors.

Rory doesn't decide to show up often

To be fair Bryson is a big loss..he is a pull to viewers both postive and negative

Liv won't be going anywhere fast and the shotgun start was decent
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I was talking to my golf coach about this on Saturday.

He reckons the PGA need to reach a compromise and increase the number of events players are obliged to play (I think he said 16 is the current number, but could be increased to say 20). Then out of those 20, have a few designated to the genrally 'lower reputation' events, naming something like the Canada Open as one.

I have no idea what would work etc., but the PGA are losing their grip on their monopoly and I believe their approach of banning players is just going to shoot themselves in the foot.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

They don't deserve more criticisms than footballers who sign for City or Newcastle in 2022.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I know the DP World Tour/European Tour hold events in the Middle East, do they hold any in Saudi?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:55 am I know the DP World Tour/European Tour hold events in the Middle East, do they hold any in Saudi?
Yes..but it doesn't suit the agenda
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

This, basically.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Brooks Koepka $150m signing fee :shocker:
Row X

Post by Row X »

Paul Casey the latest to sign up :shocker:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Row X wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:16 am Paul Casey the latest to sign up :shocker:
The tour grows stronger every day

How long can the PGA ban players? Their field becomes weaker

Rory and rahm want to play against the best every week but how long is that the best field? If DJ, brooks, Bryson are now on Liv with more major winners in reed and Phil the field looks weaker and weaker

Surprised at Casey tho . He publically criticised the Saudis as he is a UNICEF ambassador
Row X

Post by Row X »

Stenson now removed as next year's European Ryder Cup Captain.

Looks like banning players from the PGA and European Tours is not deterring players jumping ship and taking the money.

Next year's Ryder Cup could be very strange if this continues.